Question

Does anyone else have really wierd, severe mood swings whenever you have both highs and lows within the same day?  I've been diabetic for a long time, but this just started happening this month...I was wondering if this was normal...

thanks <3

I tend to have mood issues when I am low or high. Not that I have noticed it being anymore severe than if it is one or the other if I have both in a day. I have a friend who when he is High tends to get really emotional, like he cries and gets slightly violent at the same time. It is odd. I will have to ask him and my other friend and see what they both have to say about this.

When my sugar jumps around I feel like I am in a time warp back to age 14. I have the tendency to plunge into a un-comprehensible depression of self hate and despair. I become upset at any little thing and I'll start picking on my BF. At which point he'll ask me if my sugar is high.

Luckily this has not happened for a while! My Ha1c is closer to 7 then it has been in the past few years so that makes a big difference.

Mood swings are a huge factor for us type 1s. It makes us more irritable especially when you are going from high to low in a short amount of time. So to answer your question yes its normal haha

thanks y'all!

well over the past few yrs I've noticed that I have alot more mood swings and that I can irratible over some very minor things. And all I keep thinking what is wrong with me I never used to be like this. And the ppl I work have noticed the same mood swings and they notice when I don't even realize it, I have to keep reminding my self to thing about what I say before I say it ALOT. But when I'm high I find they are the worst.

So after reading your post I was so happy that someone else was experiencing the same thing and that I wasn't the only one going through this.

CJ

To me this question suggests another related issues, and that is, overcorrecting by overeating for a low and then going sky high.  My natural tendency unfortunately, IS to do this.  It's relatively easy to describe "being high" to a non-diabetic as feeling listless, lethargic, tired etc.  Those are feelings and sensations everyone can relate to.  But "being low", a hypoglycemic reaction is indescribable, ... indescribably awful and uncomfortable.  (How many times have you been asked by your non-diabetic friends "What's it feel like to be low.")

Perhaps we should have a contest for the best description of what if feels like to go low.

Anyway, I have two points:

1) I hate going low, especially real low like the 46 I had yesterday when I misjudged the size of a peach and overbolused.  I should have gotten out the ruler becaused I guessed it was 2 1/2" in diameter.  Perhaps it had an especially large pit or I didn't eat off the pit well enough :)  It's so hard to stop at that one glass of orange juice and wait 20 or so minutes to be a human being again.  So while I'm waiting, it's hard to resist a couple of bowls of Special K and whatever else is around the house. BAD IDEA. Now I tie my hands behind my back.  Who else has these problems?

2) Going low wipes me out, sometimes for hours.  Even after the orange juice or whatever raises my sugar to a normal (or high) range, I still feel like a dishrag for hours.  Often if I'm not working (and I don't do much of that lately) I crash on the couch.  Then finally, when I wake up and if I had controlled my intake of food, I feel better.

Just wondering, who reading this believes they've had the lowest blood sugar and what was it?

I am extremely moody if I'm really high or very low. Especially if I've been having trouble for a few days. Then I just don't want to move, be bothered or even crawl out of bed. It has been this way for me as long as I can remember.

Just recently in I'd say the past 3 weeks, I've had 2 "HI" readings which my machine will not register over 600. My lowest would've been 29, it took me atleast 2 days to fully recover from that one.

I always get realy angry and upset when my blood sugar is high. Low blood sugars don,t normaly affect me, though.

[quote user="seacat"]

I always get realy angry and upset when my blood sugar is high. Low blood sugars don,t normaly affect me, though.

[/quote]

Funny, I get bummed out sometimes when low and notice no psychological changes when high.  Only the physical stuff of sore muscles and thirst.

I get moody when high or low as well. Also when I am high I tend to be a bit more aggressive with my speech, please and thank you's don't come as often as they normally would, and I tend to take things really personal.

I am really all new to all of this, but when I go low I get very upset and scared and cry and then I am emotional for awhile after that. It drains me when this happens and it is hard to stop eating and drinking trying to get the bg back to normal and then I do go too high, but numbers are not as high as some I have seen here on the site but it does go high. I guess that will change and the honeymoon phases out huh?

i do have mood swings, maybe not severe...but they are noticeable. i get real emotional (crying, depressed) when i'm low and very sluggish and tired when i'm high. they're so noticeable that my friends can tell if i'm high or low just by my tone or what i say...if my attitude starts to change, my best friend will joke and say, "uh oh, whats your blood sugar" lol

I definately do,

when I am low, i am tired and crabby

but when i am high i am REaLLY MEAN!

so yes, you are not the only one.

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

To me this question suggests another related issues, and that is, overcorrecting by overeating for a low and then going sky high.  My natural tendency unfortunately, IS to do this.  It's relatively easy to describe "being high" to a non-diabetic as feeling listless, lethargic, tired etc.  Those are feelings and sensations everyone can relate to.  But "being low", a hypoglycemic reaction is indescribable, ... indescribably awful and uncomfortable.  (How many times have you been asked by your non-diabetic friends "What's it feel like to be low.")

Perhaps we should have a contest for the best description of what if feels like to go low.

1) I hate going low, especially real low like the 46 I had yesterday when I misjudged the size of a peach and overbolused.  I should have gotten out the ruler becaused I guessed it was 2 1/2" in diameter.  Perhaps it had an especially large pit or I didn't eat off the pit well enough :)  It's so hard to stop at that one glass of orange juice and wait 20 or so minutes to be a human being again.  So while I'm waiting, it's hard to resist a couple of bowls of Special K and whatever else is around the house. BAD IDEA. Now I tie my hands behind my back.  Who else has these problems?

2) Going low wipes me out, sometimes for hours.  Even after the orange juice or whatever raises my sugar to a normal (or high) range, I still feel like a dishrag for hours.  Often if I'm not working (and I don't do much of that lately) I crash on the couch.  Then finally, when I wake up and if I had controlled my intake of food, I feel better.

Just wondering, who reading this believes they've had the lowest blood sugar and what was it?

[/quote]

I also have had a very hard time in the past with eating way too much when I'm low and going really high later.  Lately I have started using glucose tablets only, it sucks to wait so long to feel better but it seems like I'm training my body to deal with that, it's getting easier.

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

[/quote]

I also have had a very hard time in the past with eating way too much when I'm low and going really high later.  Lately I have started using glucose tablets only, it sucks to wait so long to feel better but it seems like I'm training my body to deal with that, it's getting easier.

Oops, posted twice:)

I feel the same way about lows. They totally blow. And you're right, its near impossible to describe how it feels to a non-diabetic. definitely a miserable feeling. If I dropped down to 46 any time soon, I'd have a crazy panic attack (a new addition to my diabetic life). the lowest I have been is 18, and that was after I woke up from the seizure having been given glucagon. NOT a good time, I have been there four times (not in the last ten years, however) which has helped me develop this severe fear of lows, causing a road block in gaining and keeping control of my diabetes. 

I have only had diabetes for three years, but I find the moods swings are psychologically based. I get upset at myself when my blood sugars are extremely high and low in the same day because I feel like I am not controlling them well and I am the one srewing up. Even if I do not consciously say this is the reason for the mood swings, blood sugars no being what they are supposed to be seem to have away of  taking over your mind.