Receive vaccine as a caregiver?

Has anyone tried to get the vaccine as a caregiver for someone with T1D? In CA, informal caregivers (parents, children) of people with disabilities can receive the vaccine. The listed disabilities are Down’s syndrome, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and then it gets vague and says “ individuals who have specialized health care needs, including dependence upon ventilators, oxygen, and other technology are eligible”.

Obviously, I’d like to get the vaccine to protect my 13 year old with T1D but am unsure if my husband and I would qualify. We are basically in the last phase to receive the vaccine based on our age and health. Our daughter is too young to receive it, even if the CDC decides that people with T1D should receive the vaccine when type 2 diabetics can (which they should!).

We aren’t trying to jump the line, just want to protect our kid.

Hello,
I am no expert about this topic. However I have read that some caregivers are allowed to receive the vaccine. I think that you should get in contact with your nearest health department or get in contact with businesses who are offering the vaccine. I am sure they will be able to help you and answer your question. I think that this might vary by state. As I said, I am not very knowledgeable about this topic but just thought I’d share my thoughts with you. Good luck :+1:t2: :sparkles:

I live in PA and this isn’t a consideration. Because I and my husband care for patients, we were able to get the vaccine. Our daughter, T1D, is on the waiting list. We have no idea when she will get it,.