Recently diagnosed and scared to death of LOWS

My son (12 yrs) was diagnosed a week ago and in a few days I have to leave him at his middle school all day.  I am so nervous how this will all work. He isn't down to where he should be yet, his lowest ever was 240, so I have no idea how the lows will impact him. I know they need to educate about what could happen - glucagon pen... but now I am just scared.

Is it normal that it takes over a week to get him to his goal of 130? We really are doing everything we are suppose to.

When my daughter left the hospital, I didin't even consider treating lows.  She was so high, that it seemed impossible that she would ever be low.  She was dxd in March, and of course by now we have treated lots of lows.  It took us about two weeks to get our daughter in her "normal" range.  Soon after, we started dealing with lows almost daily, and often, twice a day at school.  The most important thing is to have a medical plan or 504 in place, before school starts.  I would set up a meeting this week with the principal, your sons teachers and the school nurse.  That way, you can determine if, when and how you want to be notified of his lows.  My daughter is 10, so I have the school call me anytime she tests her sugar.  Even if it is normal.  It helps me to see a pattern in her highs and lows.   

The good thing is that my daughter is very good at feeling lows.  I think most diabetics are.  Especially once they have experienced a few lows.  It makes it pretty easy for them to identify the feeling.  The thing that helped my daughter the most was to let her know that it is ok to test her sugar whenever she feels like she needs to.  It is not something to be determined by the teacher, but by your son.  The more he tests and recognizes the feelings of highs and lows, the more confident he will become. 

I remember taking my daughter back to school in March, and believe me, I was terrified.  But sooner than you think, it will all become part of your "normal" life.  Communication with the school is so important!  Don't ever feel like you are a nuisance.  The school has a responsibility to provide care for your son and part of that care is communicating with you.

I feel for you, my 10 year old daughter was diagnosed June 1, 2009 and we are dealing with our first school year - although we had the summer to work through some of the anxiety.  My daugter took a about two weeks to get into range - we were correcting at every meal.  She has been good at feeling her lows and testing/treating herself when at a theater day camp this summer so I am feeling better about it.  Keep in contact with your endo team - we did make some dosing adjustments based on her lows and activity level which has helped.   In the very begining she would feel low at 100 since she was used to being so high.  Our team advised to treat with one glucose tablet or a few skittles (they are about a carb each) for 4 carbs to treat the symptoms.  After the first month she doesn't feel low until she is around 70 or so.

I agree the most important thing is for your son to feel confident about testing anytime/anywhere.  We have also set up manditory testing times for my daughter - before snack/recess in the morning, lunch, before PE in the afternoon.   She will end up being tested every few hours which works out pretty well for us.  We also got our daughter a cell phone earlier than we would have and on the advice of the school nurse (part-time) will have her text us with her reading when she is in middle school - so we can have some peace of mind.

Good luck - it will seem more "normal" soon.