RN Working night shift

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone works the night shift? I am an RN and work from 5:45pm to 6:15am. I am having a lot of trouble regulating my blood sugars due to never having a set schedule. There are many nights that I don't even have a time for a lunch break. I know I should take one, but that means that I am just there later in the morning trying to get all of my charting done. My doctor said that it would probably be a good idea to consider working a day shift, but I like the somewhat slower pace of working at night. I am on the pump. I currently have two basal patterns, one for the days that I work and one for the days that I am off. My doctor also suggested that I try and keep all of my days similar in things such as times that I eat and sleep. On my days off, sometimes all I do it seems is sleep. My last A1C was 9.3, which I want to get a lot lower. I see the complications of diabetes, and I don't want to end up like some of the people I see. I don't get all that much exercise because I have a nerve injury in my leg, and if I do exercise it makes the pain worse. He says that in five years I may not being doing too well if things continue. I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that is working the night shift and am having the same problems. Can anyone give any suggestions on this issue? Thanks!

Laurie

I was a paramedic for 4 years before I had my son. We worked 24 on, 48 off. I was hard keeping things regulated. I have always found the easiest thing for me was to try and keep it normal as possible. I did my normal routine in the day at the same times I always did even if I had to set an alarm and wake up just to eat then go back to bed. At night if I was up all night I just snacked if my BG was dropping but didn't eat meals during the night. Does that make sense. I was busy keeping my a1c under seven for a year before I conceived my son and I was able to do so doing this. Although I have always been able to keep it in the 7s before. I hope you are able to find something that works for you!