Scared

Moderate-large ketones. I've been sick for about two weeks now - a cold. 103 degree temperature.

My parents on on the phone with my doctor now. But I'm scared...

Everything will be ok. Keep yourself calm k? You will get better. So get better now!!!  Its just that whacky time of the season. Weather changing left and right. Our bodies have to adapt to the crazy weather. Dont worry bout it Alyssa. Everything will be ok.

M'kay. Relief. So according to the doctors, if I'm sick I can ignore these Ketones.

What did they mean by ignore?  I assume you still need to go to the hospital at some point?

you'll be fine! Just focus on getting yourself better, don't worry about anything, it won't help in the long run

feel better soon!

Eric, the doctor said since I have a cold I don't need to pay attention to the ketones. As in they told me to go ahead with exercising, and there aren't any other measures that need to be taken (?) Hoping I won't need to, anyway.

This wasn't my normal doctor we talked to. This one said to only check for ketones if your bg is high - but I was taught by my endo to also check when sick. What were you guys taught?

[quote user="Alyssa"]

Eric, the doctor said since I have a cold I don't need to pay attention to the ketones. As in they told me to go ahead with exercising, and there aren't any other measures that need to be taken (?) Hoping I won't need to, anyway.

This wasn't my normal doctor we talked to. This one said to only check for ketones if your bg is high - but I was taught by my endo to also check when sick. What were you guys taught?

[/quote]

I was also taught to check with I was sick and especially if my blood sugar was high.

So that makes me wonder if ketones really are irrelevent if sick? This makes me nervous :P

well keytones are not necessarily due to high blood sugar. often if you are dehydrated you will have keytones. so don't worry! when i got swine flu over the summer i had small keytones which is bigger than i have ever had, in twelve years, and that constituted a lot of my feeling crappy hahah. the nauseous, headache, blah feeling was all due to the keytones. soo just push some major fluids and watch a lot of disney movies(:

My understanding is that Ketones=no good, regardless of the cause.  I also understand the only way to get rid of them is an insulin bolus.  Need to be careful your BS is high enough to tolerate the extra insulin (our endo says above 120) and then flush your body with tons of water.  Not to be interpreted as medical advice, but I would not accept that physician's answer based on past diabetic education.  I hope you are feeling better soon.

Michelle

no worries, alyssa. you are going to be fine. you are staying on top of things and consulting your (or at least A) doctor. drink plenty of fluids (which you probably already are) and just take it easy. no need to be worried! ketones are pretty common while you are sick, and as long as you are aware of them you will be ok.

get better :o)

Just hang in there and take care of yourself.  Im right there with you right now, im goin on day 5 tonight. It absolutly sucks, That is one thing i have not done though, checked for Ketones, I dont think I even have strips for that.  What made you want to check them?

I was taught to check for ketones if my sugar was over 250 or if I was ill.  I now also test if I'm having memory issues for a few days or if I get a terrible stomach ache.  I had forgotten insulin was effective with ketones, I just use lots of water.

Hope you are feeling better today..Maybe that cold will let up...

My parents are pulling me out of gym. I'm tempted to stay back from school. My fever's gone, as of like 4 am, but I have a stomachache and I'm still dizzy.

[quote user="Eric_Carpenter"]

I was taught to check for ketones if my sugar was over 250 or if I was ill.  I now also test if I'm having memory issues for a few days or if I get a terrible stomach ache.  I had forgotten insulin was effective with ketones, I just use lots of water.

[/quote]

Are memory problems a sign of ketones?

Hope you get to feeling better Alyssa.

This is a rule of thumb I came up with...both times I was hospitalized for DKA I later realized I couldn't remember much about the days leading up to my hospitalization.

Alyssa, do they want to check  you for H1N1 flu? OUr ped. told us that a sustained fever (which it sounds like you have) would be the reason to come in and get checked. They may not - they would just tell you to stay home from school to rest, drink LOTS, and get better. I'd also put a call in to the endo on the ketones, just to confirm.

I have an appointment today. To be honest I've been drinking close to nothing, eating/drinking makes me feel sick. But my parents are getting on my case about that.

aww Alyssa I hope you get better!  If you have ketones but your blood sugars aren't high, don't give yourself insulin, but drink lots of fluids and try to eat/drink something with carbs.  Often if you don't eat for a while it will cause ketones.  And despite what other people say, you are supposed to check for ketones when you are over 250 and/or are sick.  But I don't always follow that rule :P