School policy on athletes riding bus home after events

My 15 yr old son plays basketball for his 9th grade team. After the game last night his BG was 90. I was nervous to let him ride home on the 30 minute bus ride…bc I knew he could take a fast acting carb but then we would be chasing highs and lows all night. So, I asked his coach who has been trained in his care to take him home by car bc of his BG was lower than we would like. The coach said no he had to ride the bus. I did not argue because I knew the fast acting carb would bring his BG up and the bus waited to make sure it did come up, but the entire trip home I knew I should have just taken him. He was 130 when he got off the bus and we texted him the entire time plus his teammates didn’t let
him fall asleep but I am going to talk to the coach and AD about this policy which I understand why the school has it but from now on I will be taking him home if his BG is under 100…any suggestions on how to do this tactfully?

Hi @noah607,

I can understand your concern about your son’s 90 BG and riding the bus for 30 minutes after exercise; of course if the exercise was anaerobic, it would most probably caused his BG to rise during that 30 minute ride.

You do not say for how long he has been T1 and if he has relatively good control and if he is comfortable making decisions about his care. At age 15, he should be well on his way to understanding and managing his condition. Weather intended or not, I feel that the coach made a good “T1D educational” decision for your son.

From my experience, I do NOT believe that a fast acting carb would have been proper when BG is at 90. I generally would not utilize a straight fast acting carb unless I was below 70 - as you say, the fast acting could cause spikes and valleys. A situation like this, especially following exercise calls for a moderate speed carb, preferably a little fast-acting but mostly a sustaining carbohydrate. My preference in these situations [yes, I’m quite physically active] is an 18 gram granola bar, easily carried and tasty to boot, which has a bit of fast acting carb but mostly a sustaining carb from the grains and nuts.

hi @noah607, I find public schools to be robotic and inflexible in typical lunch-bus-after school - sports - activities, etc. departments.

If you do not have one, a 504 plan will prescribe, in writing, the procedures around what happens, and when, regarding your son’s care. please look in to all of the care options available to you regarding your son’s blood sugars, when to treat, how to treat, and with what (sugar, glucagon, insulin, etc.) once you have a plan, it becomes the overriding “law” regarding what happens, including who takes him home after an event if his blood sugar is off. It’s really the only tool you have to change the school’s protocols.

as for being scared of a 90… well, it comes with experience but 90 is pretty perfect blood sugar in my opinion. why can’t your son have a few tootsie rolls, or a roll of sweet tarts in his pocket for the bus ride home? That’s what I did when I ran track 600 years ago =).

Thank you to both who replied. To answer a few questions that were posted in the replies. My son was 12 when he was diagnosed and he is completely independent when managing his blood sugar. He does really well with his blood sugar but for some reason once his blood sugar dips below 100 he drops very quickly. He is on the insulin pump and he disconnects before exercise because of how fast he drops. Some people their BG rises after exercise his drops dramatically. He does have a 504 plan however it doesn’t include extracurricular items other than he can be a part of the extracurricular activity like any other child…I am going to speak with our special services director when we return to school to have this added.
Thank you again for your hints…granola bar, tootsie rolls etc., it is much appreciated and we will try them.

This is a tough topic - my son is 13 and an athlete. He generally rises in BG after a sports event and has really learned his own control with care of his blood sugar. Also his friends watch over him with mood changes and general feelings of energy levels etc… He travels with his team and plays hard. He takes glucose tablets and his coaches carry glucose tablets also. I think that we have such an open communication and have made Type 1 such a regular topic of discussion that everyone knows what to do. I suggest you openly discuss with your son and his friends the subject - the fact that it is NOT the DIABETES THAT GRANDMA HAS…which drives us nuts…and stress to your son that he has to become very in tune with his body and what it needs. It would be a good idea to have a granola bar. Go “high” for a while if you are nervous. As a teenager they are going to have to be a bit higher in range if they are active in order to stay safe. It will take some time, but he will figure things out. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but time is on your side on this one. We try to use humor and don’t get too up tight about numbers…we just “fix” them. You will never have perfect numbers all the time and acting emotionally only makes your son feel stressed out and like he has done something wrong. He has done NOTHING wrong. His stinking’ Pancreas has chosen not to function. You have to be the Pancreas. So be gentle. Relax and basically realize you have a heck of a lot of time to figure this out…