Signs of Insulin resistance

Me again! What are signs of insulin resistance? High numbers?

Hi @HopeFloats2020 Not necessarily. Let’s say the average sensitivity is 32. That means 1 unit of fast acting insulin drops your blood sugar by 32 mg/dl in 4 hours. And let’s say you walk in and 1 unit of insulin drops you by say 50 mg/dl. Thin is day you were a little sensitive to insulin. Ok same setup but let’s say you walk in an say 1 unit of insulin drops you only 10 mg/dl. Well in that case I’d say you were a little resistant to insulin. It’s relative. And it’s based on averages. Even if you were very sensitive to insulin if you didn’t take any you’d be high. Ok?

Huh? You’re making me use my brain cells here! Haha. I appreciate the info, @joe
Well, IF it should ever happen, I hope it’s later when I am able to grasp this!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No to worry. @HopeFloats2020 Everyone has insulin resistance. Some a little or a lot more than others. That’s not the cause of high blood sugar. The cause of high blood sugar is not dosing the right amount of insulin. :four_leaf_clover::grinning:

1 Like

Hmm, I think I get what Joe @joe is saying, Cathy @HopeFloats2020, so I’ll give it a try:

Everybody reacts to insulin differently, not just differently from other people, but even differently from themselves over time. For example, when my daughter was diagnosed, she was what I would call “very sensitive” to insulin. One unit dropped her sugar 100 mg/dl. Six years later, she is less sensitive to insulin than she used to be. Now, one unit of insulin drops her sugar 50 mg/dl. In other words, she is now more “insulin resistant” than she was when she was diagnosed.

Good? Okay, now let me complicate it for you.

What I just said about her sugar dropping 50 points for every unit of insulin these days is a general rule of thumb for her. But when she is sick or stressed for any reason, then she needs more insulin than usual. Maybe instead of 1 unit dropping her 50 points, she needs 2 units for every 50. At those times, you could say she is more insulin resistant than usual.

It works the other way, too. When she’s extra active (swimming, cycling, running around), then she needs less insulin than usual. Maybe instead of 1 unit dropping her 50 points, 1 unit will drop her 100 points or more. At those times, you could say she’s more sensitive to insulin than usual (aka less insulin resistant than usual).

Better, or still clear as mud?

@sorzelle thanks! Clear as mud!
I appreciate the reply!

No worries. It was worth a shot (so to speak). :slightly_smiling_face:

Bottom line: don’t let it bother you that you don’t know what this means yet. There’s a lot to absorb, and it’s all coming at you awfully fast. You’re checking your blood sugar, counting your carbs, and taking insulin accordingly. Good enough!

1 Like

@srozelle yes, it is overwhelming to say the least.
Thanks, again!

Have you spoken with a Diabetes Nurse Educator yet? They along with your doctor can help you gauge what you need to learn now and what can wait until later. There is - or was - a long list of possibilities that might happen to people who are diagnosed. The key word is “might”.
Some might occur naturally because of age - my parents both took medicine for cholesterol and blood pressure and neither had diabetes.
And if they do come it may not be for years down the road, although there are admittedly people who develop issues early on.
And there are ways to treat many or most if they do happen - sometimes tightening control reverses an issue (from what I’ve heard) and there are often proven treatment methods to use.
You’re off to a great start - making sure you eat well and it sounds like you’re looking after your body overall. Keep learning and asking questing but don’t feel you need to cram everything in now. As you work with your medical team and they see how you manage your health overall they’ll have a good baseline and they may be able to help you pick up on signs that you may need to look a little deeper into something.

2 Likes

Thanks @wadawabbit as always!

P.S. @sorzelle LOL at your pun!

1 Like

My pleasure @HopeFloats2020 . Try to take some time each day when you make it a point not to think about your diabetes. Unless you’re feeling low or something, don’t let it cross your mind. Do something relaxing and fun - read a book, do some puzzles, paint, watch your favorite TV show…
Enjoy your self😊. You have diabetes - it doesn’t have to have you.

2 Likes

LOL! I do tend to dwell on the crappy parts of life.
:slightly_smiling_face::partying_face::partying_face:

@joe. I appreciate this, ya know! I just don’t feel up to tracking one more thing right now!

1 Like

Insulin Resistant” is a diagnosed medical condition, and not necessarily diabetes although it demonstrates itself similarly to diabetes; it is more often associated with Lifestyle diabetes.

From what you have written so far in various posts, Cathy @HopeFloats2020 , it appears to me, seeing how your body reacts to relatively doses of insulin that you are NOT insulin resistant - otherwise your doctor would have prescribed U200 or U500 strength insulin rather than the watered down U100. What you are seeing, Cathy, is in the very natural course of life, at times your body is less sensitive to insulin - as @srozelle so clearly wrote about her daughter. What is important to know, is that your body, as a living being, is constantly changing.

Just because an insulin dose was “right” three months ago, doesn’t mean that it is perfect for you today - and, most likely, it won’t be totally different 20 years from now. What is constant in diabetes is CHANGE; I’ll try to post a copy of a slid from a presentation I made a while ago.

2 Likes

@Dennis thanks! I appreciate it!!

1 Like

The previous responders are trying to make something more complicated and confusing. I have had T1D for 68 years. Thus I have had various Endocrinologist over time. They set the Sensitivity Ratio and I have never changed it. I have just make sure I see my Dr every 3 months. If my BG is high we talk about and the Dr changes the Sensitivity ratio if he deems necessary. And he will do it by averages not just a few days.

1 Like

@T1DRoger wow, another experienced diabetic! Thank you for your story. Appreciate it.