Silly hypo speech

hey guys,

This may not be something that happens to everyone, but it definitely happens to me.  Sometimes I feel like I should be wearing a shirt that says, "please excuse my ridiculous language, if I say something completely ridiculous then I may have low blood sugar since I'm a type 1 diabetic."

For instance, phone call from my doctor today.

Melissa:  "Hi Mad, this is Melissa calling from Dr. Smith's office"

Me:  "Cool."

Melissa:  "Ummmm, yeah, hi."

Me:  "Oh hello, sorry about that."

How about you?  Ever get tongue-tied when you're hypo?  It's the worst for me when I have to give presentations at school.  Every monday and friday we have to present for about 10 minutes on a medical subject.  Since post-breakfast lows for me are the hardest to avoid, it's always stressful to make sure my blood sugar is in check so I don't ruin my presentation with...

"And, that about sums up the coolness of thyroid dysfunction."

I would have to say that your hypo slip-ups are far more entertaining and story-worthy than mine!  That last sentence made me laugh.  :)

You are funny!!!  I sure hope you surround yourself with people that know when you start your "ridiculous language" they can hand you sugar.......and say, "Hey, Mad, trust me, eat this!!!!"  I have not seen this in my son......he may also just be too young yet (9 yrs old), but I will watch for it!!!

Yeah I know the feeling. Dealing with a low and your nervous, well at least I get nervous when I have to present things, makes it a little harder.  I always feel like im in a slow mode so you tend to add words.

Oh, absolutely!  The fact that I inherited an "absent-minded professor" tendency from my dad makes this even more pronounced.

My most common low phrase is "umm.... (long pause) what was I saying?" 

EXACTLY!!

[quote user="ajax"]

My most common low phrase is "umm.... (long pause) what was I saying?" 

[/quote]

Me too! lol

Haha, yes this has definitely happened to me!  When I was in high school, I had a late night low blood sugar and wandered into the kitchen to eat a snack.  I didn't bother to turn the kitchen light on, so when my mom came in and asked me what I was eating, I told her a club sandwich.  She knew something was up, because I hate club sandwiches.  She turned on the light and I was standing there eating a banana. 

hahahaha. this thread is hilarious. i can't think of any specific things i've said while low, but i'm sure it's happened. i say silly things when i'm NOT low, so i'm sure it's abundant when i am low. i've probably just repressed the memories.... haha.

Occasionally when I'm low, I act like I'm manic and talk a mile a minute, interspersed with lots of giggling. It's very professional at work.

I relate to all of this!  I like the "um, (pause) what was I saying?" the best!  I feel so foolish afterwards, but most people don't seem to care.  It's tough losing control of oneself, specially when you are talking!

[quote user="Sarah"]

Occasionally when I'm low, I act like I'm manic and talk a mile a minute, interspersed with lots of giggling. It's very professional at work.

[/quote]

Hahahahahaha, that's great.  Funny you mention the manic thing because in the car the other day, I was talking to my wife a mile and minute passionately about saving the world and feeding the poor and the sick and the hungry or something and she asked,

"Mad, you're either on drugs or your blood sugar is low."

This happens to me too. I will tell crazy stories and then just laugh and laugh and laugh. When my blood sugar is really high though I tend to stutter a lot and not be able to say what I want to. Its so frustrating.

I've been diabetic for about 2 years and have had only one hypo time when i passed out. after that all of friends everytime i was low started to make up these low symptoms i was having. 

One time i was at a party and annouced i was 39 and felt like i was about to pass out and that i was dropping REALLY fast! i knew i had said that just fine but and my diabetic friend took me to a couch while another got me some juice and another told me i was slurring my words. The conversation went like this:

Maggie are you ok? i'm calling your mom. you don't look good oh my god are you having a seizure? 

No Olivia I'm fine and i already texted her (said it with no slurring what so ever)

Maggie shut up you're having a seizure!

We all laughed as soon as my sugar went back up!!!

Conversations with me while low tend to go something like this:

Me: "Just leave me alone for a while."

Husband: "Are you low?"

Me: "F** off"

Husband: "Um....I'll go get you some juice."

Hahahaha Same with me or . " Ummmm soooooo Yup like umm like like hmmm  long pause ... that's odd I seem to have lost my thought "  I say this one to teachers alot but mostly  "ummmm (long pause) what was I saying ?" or I say Like you know  like don't you ??

My son is quite entertaining when he is a little bit low. Silly and fun...except of course that it scares me that he is dropping

[quote user="spaghettio"]

Conversations with me while low tend to go something like this:

Me: "Just leave me alone for a while."

Husband: "Are you low?"

Me: "F** off"

Husband: "Um....I'll go get you some juice."

[/quote]

LOL!

Normally I'm still cognizant of my speech when low (though I can get very disoriented and weak), but it's a different story sometimes when I _wake_ up from a low.

Early in our relationship, before my beloved was aware of what can happen to diabetics with low blood sugar, I had such an odd moment while getting up from a nap.  He was on the computer when I walked in the computer room and suddenly just started going into this bizarre spiel about him needing to consider the feelings of animals and other beings he might deem as weak because "God is love."  LOL.  It totally came out of nowhere, so he was extremely confused and disturbed at first.  Eventually, however, it dawned on me that my BG had probably plummeted because I did feel kind of awkward, so I tested, and the truth came to light, lol.

I haven't done anything like that since, but he now knows that if I suddenly start doing another out-of-the-blue and out-of-character "moral lecture" again, something is probably up with my BG.  ;)

haha when im low its really highlarious because it always conveniatly happens when my friends r there and i act extremely wild and crazy and they are ALWAYS (always!) telling me to test. ecspecialy my marching band friends because if i get low ill stumble and stuff :D