Skin and tissue irritation at infusion site

I recently started using the new ultra rapid acting insulin Lyumjev and it is working great with my blood sugars. It picks so fast that I rarely get much of a rise in blood sugar after eating. However I am getting a lot of skin and tissue irritation at the infusion site which is listed as one of the possible side effects in the literature. I remember in the past that there has been some discussion on this list about products that can be used on the skin prior to inserting the cannula that perhaps can decrease this irritation. I believe some people use anti-histamines such as Flonase. Suggestions would be welcome. I am seeing my Endo in two weeks but was hoping to try some solution prior to then.
Patricia

Patricia @Pmaddix , thanks for being the first to post on this Forum information about Lyumjev. I’ve yet to experiment with that formulation so I’m no help to you.

but, I will add a note of caution about using anti-histamines which are known to elevate BG - so be aware. There is a possibility [each of us can be differently affected - that the histamine might counteract the action of Lyumjev.

Dennis,
That is interesting that it possibly could even affect blood sugar applied locally to the skin at the site. I will discuss with my Endo.
Patricia

Patricia @Pmaddix , I was just offering that thought as a guess; by all means, discuss with your doctor.

I do know that an eye drop with a steroid, used topically, affected my BGL, and a steroid I would help my wife apply to her back affected me when I didn’t take precautions.

@Pmaddix by all means check in with a doctor, and anytime you do something different it’s worth watching your blood sugar. The product most often used is “Flonase” it is a over-the-counter nasal spray for allergies. Yes it has a steroid. You spray, let dry, then apply the set. I don’t use it for infusion sets I use it as a nasal spray for allergies and for me, it doesn’t affect my blood sugar. But that’s me. Cheers and good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Thanks for that additional information. I have had steroid injections several times and they caused my insulin requirements to increase by 3 to 4 times but I never thought about the steroid cream that I applied to my chronic skin rashes. More to talk with the doctor about. Thanks
Patricia

1 Like

Thanks for your input.
Patricia

I’ve heard of people using a barrier such as Tegaderm to keep the adhesive from the set from coming into contact with the skin. They make a tiny hole for the set to go through - they may not be able to completely avoid contact but it’s not over the entire area. It sounds like it’s the insulin itself that’s causing your irritation, but if somehow the insulin combined with the adhesive is the issue (crazy idea, I know) perhaps that will help. I hope you’re able to find a solution!
Aside from the irritation how are you liking the new insulin?

It is working really great. Very rapid acting most of the time. Where ass on nova log my blood sugars would spike sometimes to 200 or more after a meal before coming back down several hours later. With this insulin my blood sugars may rise only a tiny bit maybe 10 to 30 points after a meal and then return to close to 100 and stay there until the next meal. When I need a correction it generally brings blood sugar down within the hour or for sure within two hours or as with NovoLog it was a minimum of 2 1/2 hours before seeing much of a reduction in blood sugar. I really have to be careful to take the insulin right at meal time or be sure and eat within five or 10 minutes as it does act rapidly. When I look at the Dexcom CLARITY app my time in range some days is as much as 98% and other days closer to 88%. I am still getting used to it and as my blood sugars are running lower I’ll do tend to slip into the two lower region a bit more often but clarity says it is only 4% of the time. This is a little more often than in the past. I am watching the CGM very closely and sometimes do you have to eat a piece of dried fruit or a few crackers to keep from going to low.
Patricia

2 Likes

Wow, those are some amazing results! Please do keep us posted. I think everyone here is rooting for you to figure this out so we can all benefit. I would LOVE for my daughter to have access to an ultra-rapid insulin like this. She just really can’t seem to get the hang of prebolusing, so something that is designed to be taken when you start to eat would be ideal for her.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing - that’s amazing! If you don’t mind my asking, did you have to make any changes to your pump settings? Keep up the good work!

1 Like

For several weeks when I first started using it I was getting a lot of Lowe’s and found myself setting a temporary basal for 6 to 10% less than the normal rate and that seemed to work. Then apparently my body settled in and I am currently using my original basal rates. I may need to slightly lower the very early morning hours basal rates as eyes sometimes end up dropping low just before I get up.
Patricia

Update on myLyumjev insulin. I saw my endocrinologist last week and my hemoglobin A-1 C had come down from 6.8 to 6.4. Many days my time in range is above 90%. The skin and tissue irritation is getting better although I am using Flonase and Tegaderm. My endocrinologist says that the skin and tissue irritation is a very common Side affect due to the compounds that they add to the insulin to make it absorb more rapidly. He says that it is very possible that the irritation will get better with time. Now I just hope that it will not be too long until FDA approves this insulin for use in an insulin pump and Medicare embraces that decision by covering the insulin under my part B insurance.

1 Like