Solo OB or Large Group Practice

I am trying to decide which would be best for me, a solo OB or group practice. The group practices in my area have 6+ providers.   I am not sure how well a group practice can keep up with my diabetes management if I am seeing a different provider at each visit in a rotation. I do plan to have an endo manage my diabetes, but I'm sure there needs to be information sharing between them.  The benefit of a Solo OB would be knowing I am going to be working with the same Doctor who will be familiar with me and my diabetes related care. My hesitation to going to a solo practice is perhaps they may not provided as high level of advanced care as a group practice. I would love to hear your experiences. Thanks!

My group practice is a little different. I only see one doctor. The only instance I see a different doctor is if she’s unavailable (like when I had to be induced a week early, two days before thanksgiving when she was across the country with her family!) In that case I saw another doc in the practice who admitted me, and then a doctor not from my practice is who took care of me in L&D, and then various docs from the group practice checked on me daily in recovery. But anyway- MY doc took care of me & little man every office visit, and would have done the rest had she been in town!

I was in a group practice with 4 doctors. They were all great in different ways. I saw my regular OB most of the time and then after the three month mark I started the rotation of the other 3. I ended up loving them all and in the end my regular OB didn't deliver the baby. But, I already knew them all and felt comfortable with him, instead of me feeling like hey, who the heck are you? They were all so caring and kept a really close eye on my diabetes. It was a great experience for me.

Like others have said, even in a group practice you'll be assigned to one doctor.  Don't worry about solo practioner or group, just choose the doctor with whom you work best.  

When I found out I was pregant my endo sent me to a male OB-GYN who she really respected.  As a man, he was less popular than female OBs and was able to devote time to learning about type 1 pregnancy and he liked having an interesting case.  I'm a low key diabetic with a busy schedule and appreciated that he trusted me to manage my diabetes well.  After he saw my blood sugars were well managed he didn't ask for weekly glucose updates.  He also made life easier for me by sharing my A1c and diabetes health info with my Endo so I didn't have endo appoints for the duration of my pregnancy.   That was priceless since

a type 1 pregnancy is high risk no matter how well it's controlled, so I had lots of doctor visits.

Despite his wonderful-ness, my OB wasn't there when my baby was born because labor took more than a day.  Have to admit it didn't really make a difference.  He'd left good notes for the attending physician and checked in on my the next day.  

I went with a group practice.  There were 4 doctors in the group, but I didn't have one doctor I worked with, I met each of the doctors exactly once before I scheduled the induction date.  They rotated weeks, so the person at your delivery was just based on who was on that week or on call that night.  Once I knew who was scheduled to be working, I had a more extensive meeting with him to discuss all of the details, but it turned out to not be him anyway since I delivered overnight!

Throughout the pregnancy I worked closely with my endo and the nurse practitioner from the group rather than with a single OB.  They were both wonderful, and I don't feel that my care was lacking in any way.