Sometimes I get so mad

Hi. I'm glad I have a spot to post, as I know that you can all relate. 

My son Jon is ten and has had T1 for two years. He's been an OmniPod user for about a year. Jon loves playing sports, and the thought of tubes made absolutely no sense to him. (It didn't hurt that one of his favorite counselors at Camp Joslin in Massachusetts had an OmniPod!)

Jon gets so stressed every time he needs to change his Pod. I don't blame him. He never knows if it's going to hurt, or how much it will hurt. Certain rituals have been ongoing, so that he feels he has some control over the situation. He always get a hard candy. The TV - the great distractor - is always on. Et Cetera. 

Last night was an exceptional bummer, as his endo told him to turn around the Pod - so that the infusion site was more toward his side. He usually puts the Pod on either side of his belly button, or his backside. He was really stressed because he didn't think he had enough fat there, but the endo said he did. I saw Jon pinch, and I felt there was enough. It took the longest time until he was ready to hit the start button on his PDM. He finally did it. The unknown countdown began. There are times when after the CLICK he says, "Good." This was not one of those times. He was in nasty pain that even a Bruins game in the Eastern Conference Finals of the NHL couldn't pull him out of despair. Yes... eventually he was able to focus on that great distractor/hypnotizer, but it was a real bummer. My heart went out for my child. And inside, I was so, so mad.

Today we went to an outdoor batting cage to play some baseball together. On his first swing, his Pod jabbed him. The tough kid kept up his swings... and I kept up my pitches. We took a break. "We're gonna have to change it later today, you know. You have a game tonight, and you can't play while you're hurting. You'll want to do your best, and you won't be able." No way. That wasn't happening. I've seen him limp through basketball games rather than prematurely change a Pod. Once we got home, my wife Linda took over and she helped Jon change his Pod to a often used, more "comfortable" site.

Yes... I know. We've come a long way, baby. The fact that he's on a pump... especially one that lets him jump in a pool without thinking twice, is awesome. Meal plans and shots were a drag. But I get crushed when I see him hurting. 

My son Jon is one heck of a brave boy. I just wish he could prove his bravery in a different way.

If you got this far, I thank you for reading my words. I wonder how others deal with sites.

I thank you.

Respectfully,

Brad

I just saw this, it went into my spam.  Sorry I didn't respond sooner.  We went to pump class, but we have to first take classes, do a workbook and then get approved by the doctor.  I am thinking more like Thanksgiving or Christmas break.  I am not sure as to what pod to get, my daughter loves the OmniPod because it is tubeless.  Did you look at the ping ?  I wonder if this happens with any of the pumps.  It is such a big decision because your insurance company locks you in for about 4 years.  What if you don't like it....then you are stuck ??!!  Any information on the OmniPod would be great !  My daughter was dx 1/2011.  It has changed our life !

Totally understand the unknown countdown....I am 27 years old and I still CRINGE when I hit that "insert cannula" button. There is no prediction or clue when it's going to fire and I end up jumping 3 feet in the air when it FINALLY clicks. That's the only part I don't like about the OmniPod. I hear ya there!!

After pressing the insert button, I usually hear three clicks and then it inserts??

i totally understand! sometimes when my canula goes in it burns and stings so bad i cringe but other times its painless...he might have a little muscle there or a lump from his previous inserts. I know if i have a hard spot where i am about to place my pump i change the location because i know it will hurt...when he is not playing sports why dont you try his arm or calf? the calf worked good for me and the arms are always a good spot when your not jumping around. I mainly wear it on my stomach and dread changing it too. just tell him to hang in there because the pain eventually goes away and just think, thats 3 days without needles! hes not the only one and as he gets older he will get used to it. I been on it for almost 2 years and i dont know what i would do without it!!! hope this helps =)

yes!!! me too!!