Stacey McGill

This is so random, but my mind is all over the place today - I guess it's just one of those days...Maybe this totally dates me, but did any of you ever read the series The Baby-sitters Club by Ann M. Martin when you were kids?  Man, I used to love those books and wouldn't you know that Stacey McGill was my favorite character.  I wanted to be just like her.  She was an awesome dresser, was good at math, and was the most popular girl in the 8th grade. She also had type 1 diabetes.  Be careful what you wish for?  (I wasn't dx'd until I was an adult)

Did anyone else read those books?  Who was your favorite character?

I totally forgot about these books - they were childhood favorites of mine, as well!  I wish I remembered more about them...  :(

I read those when I was a kid. I remember she had diabetes too, and I didn't, but it always made me scared to have diabetes! lol. cuz I knew you would have to take shots and I hated shots! I'm glad I didn't have diabetes when I was a kid! I'm glad you mentioned that cuz ever since I got diabetes I kept thinking how funny it was that I was always so scared to get it because of those books. And then I did get it!  I don't remember my fav character tho cuz it was such a long time ago. Stacy was prob the only one I remember and I always remembered that she was diabetic for some reason.

I read a couple of them when I was a kid, but I don't remember a character with diabetes.  I got diagnosed when I was 7 and I would have loved that character....

If you have no idea what this post is about, you're in luck - Scholastic is re-releasing the Baby-sitters club books and a new prequel to the series just came out this month!  Haha!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/books/31babysitters.html?_r=1

Actually, for those of you on this site who have young girls, these would be great books for them to read.  As I recall, Stacey is actually a pretty good role model of a young girl with diabetes.  And the books aren't about diabetes, there just happens to be one main character who has it.  I think the books are targeted at the 7 - 11 age range.

I did read them in jr high I think. I didnt even remember about that. I will have to get them for my daughter. Maybe it will help her some to read about it even with a fictional character.

Yupp! i read it & loved Stacey too!

I LOVED the BSC books. What is actually mind blowing for myself is that I starting seeing the symptoms in my daughter, that "Stacey" had when she was diagnosed with her Diabetes. Both in book #3, and also in the Super Special book BSC Remembers. When I told my mom what symptoms I was seeing in Hannah, and that they reminded me of a character in the BSC books that I read all the time, she was amazed that I remembered that. Come to find out, recognizing the symptoms is what helped me catch Hannah's onset so quickly. My mom brags all the time to people about how my being an avid reader and such a fan of the BSC probably helped us catch Hannah's diabetes so quickly. All my BSC books that I had as a kid were passed on to my nieces, and are now back in my possession in my daughters bookshelves. I can't wait for them to re-release the series, I might have to go finish purchasing the series so I have the full set.

I read a few of the books. I read the spin-off "Kid Sister" series, I can't remember much about it. A year or so ago I turned on the Babysitter's Club movie just in time to see Stacey get a small lecture from her mom about her diabetes and on have a low on her date. I like the way it was done and 'click' I remembered something about it in the books. Plus I saw the movie years ago. It's amazing how a movie can take on a new perspective when your life changes.

I read in the newspaper a few weeks ago that when they re-release the series, it will be updated so Stacy is on a pump.

[quote user="Sarah"]

I read in the newspaper a few weeks ago that when they re-release the series, it will be updated so Stacy is on a pump.

[/quote]

That is AWESOME!  :)

I'm not sure if this is the right series but I remember reading about that girl, Karen, in some book series by Ann M. Martin.  I think it was the kids' series, though, because I never remember reading about Stacey.  I love finding characters like that that you can connect to.

I used to LOVE those books!! I totally forgot about them! I probably still have them all in my attic somewhere....