"T1 University"

Has anyone taken part in the Type 1 University yet? What did you think? How was the MDI vs Pump percentage?

my BIGGEST issue with Type 1 University, is not knowing whether or not it's mostly focused on pumping rather than MDI. I'm not a pumper, so I'm not interested in listening to a lecture that talks 90% pump and 10% MDI in regards to the topic.

The reason I never ended up reading past chapter 5 of "Think like a Pancreas" was because there was SO much pumping information vs MDI, I felt it was totally useless to even continue. It's currently in the trunk of my car getting destroyed with dirt cuz I keep forgetting to take it inside to donate haha.

Huh, interesting. Glad I never bought that book.

I saw some people online saying the classes were good, but no idea if they're pumpers. Probably are ... we're in the minority for adults.

[quote user="Sarah"]

Huh, interesting. Glad I never bought that book.

I saw some people online saying the classes were good, but no idea if they're pumpers. Probably are ... we're in the minority for adults.

[/quote]

we totally are it seems haha.

It might just have been me, I mean I know some pumping info you can put to use in MDI but I got sick of reading the pump sections so I gave it up. I kinda knew there was a lot of pump info because the author is a BIG supporter of the pump, so maybe I was just extra critical? haha.

If you can get it at the library, I'm sure it's worth taking a look (so many people have said it's a great book) but I wouldn't pay for it. Luckily, I got it as a Christmas gift haha.

Gary Scheiner is a Facebook friend of mine. He has answered questions for me about the T1U. If you have questions you want me to ask him, let me know.

I will ask him about the Pump vs MDI question now.

Hi Richard Vaughn; I don't do well on this web site, and I lost you. but maybe I can get you back by answering you now; 

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for information about Joslin medals; 

I would like to know more about your book; Pretty impressive that you have written one. What is in it? I will order one!  

I take humalog and lantus rather than a pump. My aic  runs from 6.1 to 6.3, but having bragged about that, my last one was actually 6.5.  Amazing how hard it is to get my sugars in control, even after all these years; It's not like I don't try with my super low carb diet and about 8 blood tests per day, but I allow myself a wonderful pancake or waffle plus fruit breakfast every Sat and Sun! and at other times my appetite  gets a little out of control; 

I just discovered juvenation; (as a teen ager in the l950's I thought I was the only one in the world with Diabetes, and I felt bad about it for decades.  Can you believe it? and I was an md, internist! 

Now I am happy, & retired. I love studying Spanish (11 years now),  and playing badminton 4 days a week;  Rich

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

Gary Scheiner is a Facebook friend of mine. He has answered questions for me about the T1U. If you have questions you want me to ask him, let me know.

I will ask him about the Pump vs MDI question now.

[/quote]

I see well let me know what he says.

Batts, this is gary Scheiner's reply:

"The class on mastering pump therapy is the only one with a purely pump focus. The other classes all relate to anyone on intensive insulin therapy, including MDIers (sounds like a good name for a rock band). "

Rich, I am going to answer you with a comment on your profile page.

Batts,

I have always recommended that book to folks who are starting the pump - never thought of it for the MDI folks - guess maybe this is the one time my instincts got it right... now if i only remember to make a note of this... 

I never got that interested in the T1 university stuff  - not sure why - i am a big fan of finding new/better ways to refine what i'm doing... maybe its the class type environment that turns me off (i'm not oft fond of large groups)*shrug*

If you decide to go - i'll be interested in following your experiences here (this is my not so subtle way of begging you to blog your time so we can all share) :)

Cheers!

A-D

A-D:  Thanks for your information; Can you give me more information about the books by Eades.  At least titles, author's full name,etc.  You probably have mentioned them before, but I am new to this site.   Rich

Rich,

Probably I am just assuming that you're reading my mind - LOL - sorry about that - the book that I think has the best body-based explanations is their second: The Protein Power Life Plan... As far as ideas for foods and approach, I like their first book better (though I read it second) - Protein Power

Both books are co-authored by: Michael R. and Mary Dan Eades.

new to the site?!?!?! - WELCOME ABOARD! :)

Cheers!

A-D

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

Batts, this is gary Scheiner's reply:

"The class on mastering pump therapy is the only one with a purely pump focus. The other classes all relate to anyone on intensive insulin therapy, including MDIers (sounds like a good name for a rock band). "

[/quote]

great, thanks for finding out!

[quote user="A-D"]

Batts,

I have always recommended that book to folks who are starting the pump - never thought of it for the MDI folks - guess maybe this is the one time my instincts got it right... now if i only remember to make a note of this... 

I never got that interested in the T1 university stuff  - not sure why - i am a big fan of finding new/better ways to refine what i'm doing... maybe its the class type environment that turns me off (i'm not oft fond of large groups)*shrug*

If you decide to go - i'll be interested in following your experiences here (this is my not so subtle way of begging you to blog your time so we can all share) :)

Cheers!

A-D

[/quote]

well it's an online "class" or you can pay less for a recording of the "class" so no groups or anything :)

Kinda expensive, 30 bucks for a 45 - 55 minute course. I'll just keep going to the library.  :)

T.

Hey Batts -

Thanks for posting the question.  I've tried to make T1U for INSULIN users, not just pump users.  There are some courses that are specific to pumping (like "Mastering Pump Therapy"... duh!) but most of the others are pertinent to anyone who takes insulin:  hypo prevention, weight loss, exercise adjustments, post-meal management, carb counting, etc...  I'm thinking of adding a class on dealing with diabetes burnout, as well as type-1 & pregnancy and use of Symlin.  Do you have ideas for any others that you would like to see?

Hi everyone; Is it burnout or total melt down?  I, myself have a huge problem not eating the forbidden stuff: CARBS, DELICIOUS CARBS. It is not surprising; obviously it's very hard for everyone to control his  food intake. My  APPETITE!  (sometimes I call it the BEAST)  In fact, there probably are some very strong factors that regulate our body weight. Hormones, mental function, feedback from muscles and body parts.  When I was practicing as an internist the weight of most of my patients would not vary more than 2 pounds FOR DECADES; and I can only remember a few patients that were able to successfully loose weight and keep it off.  Yet with T1, I have to deal realistically as best I can with the problem. I think this can be a great topic for  a support group web site, and your T1U; How do you control the BEAST on a regular basis.  I put myself on a strict low carb diet with multiple injections. But I let myself eat big carb breakfasts on week-cnds. I enjoyed the article in the latest Diabetes Forecast on the debate about low carb vs moderate carb diets.

It's after 11 pm here in California, and we have to wonder when the next big quake will hit us.

Rich

I hear you, Rich.  It is definitely an issue that many of us with type-1 face.

I must admit, it's been much easier to manage my appetite (and tame the "beast") since I started using Symlin a few years back.  If you haven't already, talk to your doctor about it.  Symlin is very effective for slowing digestion, blunting hunger, and curbing the after-meal BG spikes that most of us get.  I find that when I use it, I'm not all that hungry between meals.  When I don't use it, I'm hungry constantly.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.  I'm contemplating putting together a course on use of Symlin for Type-1 University.  Have you tried any of the courses yet?

Batts,

My pump ran out of insulin in class today and of course, my blood sugar skyrocketed.  When I got home I decided to take an injection rather than bolusing with my pump because sometimes I'd just rather not take a huge bolus through a pumpsite, especially if the site seems a little suspicious to me (like, not absorbing right.)  ANYWAY...the whole point was, when I was taking the injection, you crossed my mind!  Lol, I guess I think of you as the posterchild for MDI or something. ;)

Molly

I would like to know more about people who are using symlin. There is very little information available. I just started symlin four weeks ago and I am very pleased with it.(I am type 1 since about 35 years and on pump and CGMS. My HbA1c is 6.6 and I can't believe I can't get it lower with the CGMS etc. The fact is there are peaks when you open your mouth and eat something. It takes even the fast insulin two hours to work. I use Novolog. I have gotten into the habit of bolusing every time my alert says I am going high (above 140) and that has led to some lows because often it is just time for the IOB to act. I am not overweight but have noticed a few pounds I can't get off and I am always hungry.)

I had to plead with my doctor for a prescription for symlin because he said "I am in good control and not overweight etc". I promised him I knew what I was doing.

I am now using 45 mcg of symlin three times a day. I take about 1/2 to 3/4 of my regular insulin. The BG does not go up at all after eating which I find amazing. It does go up 2 hours later for me. At that time I can see the rise on the CGMS and give the rest of my normal insulin. I tried the dual wave but went low because there was still too much insulin during the two hour period. It is a learning experience but I don't know why all type 1's aren't using symlin. I would like to hear about the experiences of others using symlin. Incidentally I started using symlin because I read Gary Schreiner's article in Diatribe.

MH

[quote user="Molly"]

Batts,

My pump ran out of insulin in class today and of course, my blood sugar skyrocketed.  When I got home I decided to take an injection rather than bolusing with my pump because sometimes I'd just rather not take a huge bolus through a pumpsite, especially if the site seems a little suspicious to me (like, not absorbing right.)  ANYWAY...the whole point was, when I was taking the injection, you crossed my mind!  Lol, I guess I think of you as the posterchild for MDI or something. ;)

Molly

[/quote]

Haha that's sweet :) I don't think I'm a poster child in anyway for anything diabetic-related though. I follow my own rules and I make diabetes deal with it (as much as possible) but thanks!! <3