Hey all! I just created my account today. I’m a 21 year old male T1D from Maine. I’ve had my fair share of ups and downs with this disease since being diagnosed on my 13th birthday.
One thing I’ve always been able to count on was hiking, and I came up with an idea related to hiking and Type 1 Diabetes. I started a group on Facebook called “ME and NH Type 1 diabetic hikers,” it is my plan to use this group to host hiking meetups/group hikes. I’m currently working on the page with another T1D who wanted to join me in the idea. You do not need to be in ME or NH to join, you can simply just be someone who may occasionally go in those areas or wants to travel here for one of the groups meetups.
Let me tell you why I’ve thought of this group, and why it’d be useful:
- Provides an extra safety net for hiking T1Ds
- Can be used as a support group through hiking and connections
- Can be used to educate and raise awareness of T1D
- Can be used for training hiking partners of T1D
- It would provide an opportunity for T1Ds who may want to get into hiking, but, are to nervous about what could happen or don’t have any hiking partners.
Please consider joining up, we only have three members at the moment. I’ve posted about this on Reddit, Facebook, and Instagram so far. Here is the link to the group: ME and NH Type 1 diabetic hikers | Facebook
Thanks, and I’ll be happy to answer any questions