T1D connection to Naval Military Service?

I’m looking to connect with anyone who may have served in the military, canadian or us, and eventually developed type 1 diabetes. please reach out. Much love!

hello @mac902 welcome to Type One Nation. Hey if you don’t mind me saying so, that’s a fairly specific request. I hope you find what you are looking for but you might get more feedback with more “general” type questions. cheers and good luck!

@mac902 Hello Michael, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum!

I did know a couple of army personnel who served in Vietnam, one a man who worked in my company and the other my younger brother, who developed a very devastating form [actually a Classification 3] form of T1 diabetes from agent orange poisoning. Seventy-six percent of the men in the ACOE Company my brother commanded were diagnosed within about 15 years after leaving Nam; they are all gone now. Their beta-cells were destroyed by the poisoning rather than by the body attacking itself, but the condition was managed like TypeOne.

I don’t have any names now.

I was in the USMC (technically a part of the Navy) in 1977 when I came down with Type I diabetes. I was honorably discharged with a 20% disability.

Don’t know if you’re still looking, but I was 22+ years USAF, retired in 2001, mis-dx’d T2 8-years ago, correctly dx’d T1 LADA 2-years ago (2020). I worked rotating shifts a lot of my USAF career as well as post-USAF career, high stress environments. When dx’d, I recalled having to take not one, not two, but three glucose tolerance tests for admittance and finally got the OK. Would be interested in where you’re going with the info request.