T1D connection to Naval Military Service?

I’m looking to connect with anyone who may have served in the military, canadian or us, and eventually developed type 1 diabetes. please reach out. Much love!

hello @mac902 welcome to Type One Nation. Hey if you don’t mind me saying so, that’s a fairly specific request. I hope you find what you are looking for but you might get more feedback with more “general” type questions. cheers and good luck!

@mac902 Hello Michael, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum!

I did know a couple of army personnel who served in Vietnam, one a man who worked in my company and the other my younger brother, who developed a very devastating form [actually a Classification 3] form of T1 diabetes from agent orange poisoning. Seventy-six percent of the men in the ACOE Company my brother commanded were diagnosed within about 15 years after leaving Nam; they are all gone now. Their beta-cells were destroyed by the poisoning rather than by the body attacking itself, but the condition was managed like TypeOne.

I don’t have any names now.

I was in the USMC (technically a part of the Navy) in 1977 when I came down with Type I diabetes. I was honorably discharged with a 20% disability.