Taking a poll

Hi Ladies!

So, I was curious of those of you who have already delivered babies, how many of you needed c-sections? 

It sounds crazy, I know...I am not pregnant yet and am already worried about how the baby is getting out!  Haha!  The thought of a c-section scares me to death as I am so afraid of getting sick or feeling terrible during the procedure.  But I know that the likelihood that I will need one is great.

Thanks for your input! 

Katie

Sidenote:  you are not crazy... I'm in the same boat.  Not pregnant yet, and worrying about delivery, and b-feeding...  it's hard not to worry about it!  You're not alone!  :)

I don't think it's crazy at all to think about it ahead of time and be curious! You're a planner - that's a good thing, right? ;)

I had one because I had to deliver 3 weeks early.  My placenta was beginning to break down (which happens at the end of all pregnancies, but they worried about me because it was causing me really terrible hypos) and we decided to go ahead and deliver early.  The baby was already a good size (7lbs, 3oz) and they did a test to make sure her lungs were fully developed (they were). 

Being 3 weeks early, I wasn't effaced or dilated at all and likelihood of induction drugs taking me all the way to a v-birth was not strong.  I didn't want to labor for 20 hours and get cut open anyway.  That sounded like just about the worst idea in the world to me.  So I scheduled a c-section for 2 days later.  Best decision I ever made.  I do think there's a HUGE difference between emergency c/s and one that's scheduled.  When you've already been through active labor and THEN you get cut open, I just think it takes a big toll on your body and makes recovery harder.  Mine was pretty easy.

It was SO HARD to sleep the night before, though!  Not only was I so excited to meet my baby the next day, I was really nervous about being cut open while I was awake! I'd never had any kind of surgery, so I didn't know what to expect at all.  I think I slept 1 hour that night.  Maybe.  But my anesthesiologist for the surgery was awesome!  He came into my prep room about an hour before the surgery and told me exactly what was going to happen, what each doctor would be doing, how I'd be laying, where my hubby would sit - and he answered all my questions.  He told me to let him know at any point during the surgery if I wasn't feeling well and he'd fix it. He said it's pretty common to get dizzy or naseous at some point, but it was important to let him know.

During the surgery, I started to feel really naseous.   The anesthesiologist was sitting near my head, so I just turned and told him.  A few seconds later, I was fine!  A little bit later into the process I had a really terrible headache come out of no where.  I told him that my head was pounding, he said ok...a few seconds later - headache gone!  Awesome!  I wish he could follow me around all the time and fix all my discomforts! hahaha! 

Anyway, this is already way long, but I wanted to answer your questions and give you hope that it doesn't have to be a scary process if a c-section is in fact what you end up with.  Let me know if you have any other questions - I love to help and share my story! 

Hey! I had a c-sec. The baby was slightly "askew"  coming out, and they could get his head in the right direction. But, it had nothing to do with the D -- he was 7 1/2 lbs, so not too big. I had no unusual complications with the surgery (other than some very unpleasant constipation after, lol).

But, because it was my first and they induce at 38 or 39 weeks for women w/ T1, the labor was esp. loooooong. Two full days until they finally let me try to push.

Honestly, it's really hard to recover and deal with a newborn no matter how they come out. The first 6 weeks are tough, but I doubt it would have been much easier with a vaginal delivery. Now that he's here, I rarely think about the delivery. It was all worth it. (:

I did have a c-section but it had nothing to do with diabetes. He was breech. He came 5 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs 11 oz.

Katie, 

I'm in the same boat with you and Kim, not even pregnant yet, but asking every question imaginable. I, too, worry about a c-section mostly because I don't like to be told that I can't do something, like have a natural birth. So I tend to get a little stubborn. However, I keep reminding myself that in the end, the important thing is that the baby arrives healthy and well and it doesn't really matter how he/she arrived. 

Also, I would highly recommended reading, Healthy Mom, Healthy Baby: Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes by Sheryl Akron (Type 1 mom). It was just published a few months ago. What is great about this book is that she interviews tons of women with Type 1 about their pregnancies and reading about all of these woman's experiences makes you really see that we are not pigeon-holed as diabetics and not everyone has to have a c-section. Order it on amazon right now! It changed my entire outlook on getting pregnant with diabetes and gave me confidence to do it.  

http://www.demosmedpub.com/prod.aspx?prod_id=9781932603323

[quote user="Abbey"]

I don't like to be told that I can't do something, like have a natural birth.

[/quote]

I have to warn you that a true "natural birth" (at home, in a large birthing tub with only a doula....) is really unlikely for us with T1.  I just don't want you to be disappointed. But, with all the medical concerns, I felt better in a hospital with a good NICU -- not that I wanted or needed to use it, but just in case... But, a vaginal birth without drugs is a possibility for many women w/ T1 if that's what interests you. (I myself asked for the drugs, lol!!!)

I had heard that book was coming out. I'm glad it's a good read, I'm going to order it.

I am currently 28 weeks pregnany and actually asked my OB what her thoughts were regarding me delivering vaginally or c-section, and she actually says (at least right now!) that there is no reason I shouldn't be able to try to do it vaginally, with the caveat that if the baby starts to get too big the closer I get to my due date, that may change. I am honestly torn which way I hope it goes - I would prefer not to have surgery, but I am also of the same mind as someone above that I don't want to spend 2 days trying to push just to have a c-section in the end anyway - I have definifely heard that can be a harder recovery. But my doctor is EXTREMELY cautious (for example, at almost 29 weeks, I am doing NSTs 4x a week! as a precaution), so for her to not be saying that it is a c-section for sure without a doubt I take as a good sign.

Good luck!!!

Oh, I know that I won't be able to have the baby at home. I didn't intend that, I just mispoke. My natural, I meant vaginal. opps! Thanks for the advice.

I did the non stress tests also which really weren't that bad. I did them 3 times a week though. I lived 40 min from the hospital in Pittsburgh which was best for me. Even had a non stress earlier the day my water broke. After the test I stopped and ate lunch at Texas Roadhouse then went to the party store to pick up last minute things for my baby shower and sure enough while in the party store my water broke. It's funny thinking about it now. I was about 20 min from the hospital so back I went. Some people consider my labor to be fast. From the time my water broke till the time he was removed was 4 hrs. I was supposed to have an epidural but after trying 3 times and reaching 8 cm's it was decided for me to be "put under" to do the c-section. This is NOT typical though so there should'nt be any issues with those that would need a c-section. I also left my pump on throught with my basals cut back 50%. You absolutley can have a vaginal birth. I know type 1's that have without any problems.