Tandem TruSteel

I’ve been using the Tandem T-Slim for about about two months. I recently had a bent cannula using the XC infusion set. I had this happen to me a couple of times when I was on a Medtronic pump. I am going to be trying out the Tandem TruSteel infusion set next week. I am not concerned about the lack of a inserter. I actually prefer to put it in on my own, however the small bit of tubing between the site and the pump gives me pause. I am really happy with the small footprint of the Tandem Infusion site as it is with the XC. Has anyone here changed to the TruSteel? How has the extra bit of tubing affected you intimately. There, I said it. Yes, in intimate situations or other ways, pain on insertion, etc.

1 Like

It’s a great question and I hope you get relevant responses @synstokesyahoo-com

I do like my quickset for that reason. Looks like a bandaid. Cheers good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Hello, I’ve been using tru steel for over a year. Bent cannula issues with others. Insertion easy, I use the 6mm. The extra tubing allows me to reach further fatty areas on my side. Also I’m a Small lean woman.

But I loop the extra tubing and tape it. I usually tape my insertion set anyway.

Well for intimacy the tape! And frankly always an interesting surprise where the pump ends up.

Without tape I was getting my hand stuck when pulling up pants etc.

Good luck with transition!

Hi, I run DIY Loop with a Medtronic pump, and have been having a lot of trouble with the Medtronic 9mm infusion sets. After talking with a Medtronic, I decided to try their version of steel infusion sets. I think that, except for the end connector, they are identical to the Tandem version. I thought maybe it was a guy thing, but I totally agree with you about the short tubing length! The pump is always in my way, using the bathroom is difficult, etc. I use the 42” Medtronic, for comparison. I never felt like my pump was in the way, including those intimate times, until I tried the steel infusion set. BTW, I’ve been pumping for 20 years. Anyway, I gave up on the steel sets after the first one, they were just too annoying.

You can get more than 1 type of infusion set if needed from your supply company. I use different sets in different areas. I don’t like the double areas of tape down for the TruSteel, but you can get used to it.

1 Like

I have a waist band that I ordered on Esty. The extra tubing can be tucked in there. I had a lot of trouble this past weekend using the TruSteel for the first time. Neither insert or connector would hold in place. Ended up ripping it out. Tried again today and so far so good. If I have more issues I will try different infusion sets with different length cannulas.

I like the idea of using different sets in different places. I never thought of that before. Thank you for the idea.

It has been really helpful for me to use the 30 degree infusion sets in my abdomen and the 90 degree ones in my behind where I have more flesh. Hope it helps!

2 Likes

I changed to tru steel two weeks ago. Love it. No bent cannula, thinner housing so harder to pull out. I especially like the other pices of plastic that mounts on the skin. it protects from forces against the tru-steel. Very smart design.

If you’re talking about the little tubing that proects the steel tube, you slide if off before inserting the steel into the skin. I used the 8mm a couple of times; right now I’m using a 6mm and it works fine. I thought my flab would keep it from working, but not at all.

1 Like

That double area prevents pressure on the real infusion needle pulling it out. It’s a stroke of genius on their part to come up with that.

1 Like

I am beginning to enjoy the TruSteel. I hate inserter devices and I’ve always preferred to self insert. I was able to make that choice with the Medtronic but not with the Tandem inserter. Also I never realized how much time I spent worrying about a bent cannula. The less worries the better. I have been putting a bandaid over the wings on the TruSteel. I thought my clothing might get caught on them and rip it out. Has anyone had this issue?

I’m talking about the two little wings on two of the plastic. I hold other together when I take the shield off of the needle and hold onto when I insert it. I thought it might catch on clothing and pull out. Wanted to see if that was ever an issue from the wings.

I can see the possibility of that happening, but the whole thing is flatter than the plastic cannula design.You could always put surgical tape over it to help it stay in place ( google “3M Micropore Paper Tape - Tan, 1” Wide")

I noted your concern about the TruSteel tearing off. Yes, that’s a valid concern as it also happens to me on occasion. I went to Walgreen’s and got some waterproof tape. I place 2-3" of tape over the short piece of interconnecting tubing as well as over the infusion set itself. This low-tech fix has worked well and the adhesive of the tape outlasts the 2-3 day life cycle of the infusion set. Just a thought…

How often should you change the TruSteel infusion site please. Thanks

Welcome @Annemariewelburn most infusion sets are the same. 2 to 3 days wear.

Thanks. I keep reading teflon change every 3 days and steel change every 2 days. Do you know if this is correct. Thanks

I think 2 OR 3 days. You can always ask your doctor as well.

I also changed from the XC to the autosoft 30 because of bent canals and haven’t had a problem since. I use the liquid skin tac bought from Amazon prob last me 2 years because I really dont use to much. Good luck with the change.