The Darn D word

I don't know exactly why, but the d word just really bugs me. Diabetes. It just bugs me ! If someone says it i just don't wanna hear it. I'm fine with diabetic or others like that but not the big d word

Caitlyn, I am with u, when someone says the word diabetes I just want to act like I did not hear it.

I am ok with The D word but not diabetic... I don't like being called diabetic or others being called diabetic. It really gets under my skin!

I'm with Gina on this one. Diabetes doesn't bother me, but being called a diabetic make me so angry. Makes me feel unnecessarily different. That's not who I am. I'm Anna, and I have diabetes. Diabetes doesn't define me *roar*

I affectionately call my affliction "betes". It helps to keep me upbeat about our relationship.

I don't mind being called "diabetic" b/c I find "person with diabetes" kinda wordy. Also, it's not typically said to me in a negative way, so I figure people understand there's more to me than just the big D... But, I try to use the "person with ... (diabetes, autism, hearing loss, whatever)" wording whenever I think of it b/c I'd hate to offend someone else.

[quote user="ohennwen"]

I affectionately call my affliction "betes". It helps to keep me upbeat about our relationship.

[/quote]

I like that! 

I prefer diabetes.  'A' diabetic kinda sounds like a spreadable infection to me.  Diabetes is a controllable chronic illness. 

I guess I've lived long enough with it to not care about the semantics?  Diabetes, diabetic, person with diabetes; it all eventually means the same thing.  I understand that others aren't comfortable with certain versions, though.

The only part of the D word in any form that bugs me is that people have it and there is no cure for it.

The terms themselves don't bother me at all.  The context in which they are used bothers me.  For example, when my mother talks about her children, I become Sarahthediabeticmiddlechild.  I mean, it sometimes feels like the terms "diabetes" or "diabetic" have become an actual part of my name. 

Or if a friend introduces me to someone new, it's sometimes "meet Sarah.  She has diabetes!" 

I dont know if I can express it clearly, but it gets to be like diabetes is just a conversation piece and the people around us forget that it's not just a word or a label or a fun topic for the day.

Anyone else feel like that sometimes?

I agree: "diabetic" bothers me, "diabetes" doesn't. Why put labels on someone?

Not to get completely off topic..but I was in a drug store today and their was a poster, a really big poster, talking about Diabetes awareness... and every time I see any literature on our disease it is of a middle aged man or women slightly over weight. It really bothers me because I am only 38 and I weigh around 119lbs. I gives the public only one view of Diabetes. No the word does not bother me, as much as, the stereotypical images that are associated with Diabetes. Actually someone today, who is a Diabetic, asked me "how could I have gotten the disease because I am skinny". I felt like buying her a cup of coffee and trying to explain the differences between the different types. Wow...that was all I could think of to say for hours....

You know what really bothers me.......the way Wilford Brimley pronounces the word...."Diabetis" on those diabetes commercials.....that really gets under my skin.....I like to call it betes also!!

I don't like the stereotypes either. Even my best friend's mother who had always loved me and i've always been her 3rd daughter, told my mom "oh well sh'es not obese or anything." I'm not i weigh around normal range. It;s just frustrating!! Also I've been having really high numbers lately! that's frustrating too because everyday when i get out my meter at school, i see the box which has 100 or 106 on it and usually i have good numbers like 80-140, but lately it's been higher!

The stereotypes are just annoying!

[quote user="Lisa D'Imperio"]

Not to get completely off topic..but I was in a drug store today and their was a poster, a really big poster, talking about Diabetes awareness... and every time I see any literature on our disease it is of a middle aged man or women slightly over weight. It really bothers me because I am only 38 and I weigh around 119lbs. I gives the public only one view of Diabetes. No the word does not bother me, as much as, the stereotypical images that are associated with Diabetes. Actually someone today, who is a Diabetic, asked me "how could I have gotten the disease because I am skinny". I felt like buying her a cup of coffee and trying to explain the differences between the different types. Wow...that was all I could think of to say for hours....

[/quote]

I agree with this.  It is so aggrovating having to live up to the stereotypes of you are either old and fat, or young (and probably still fat) to be diabetic. 

[quote user="Angela"]

You know what really bothers me.......the way Wilford Brimley pronounces the word...."Diabetis" on those diabetes commercials.....that really gets under my skin.....

[/quote]

Agreed!!!  OMG.

I hate the word "diabetes" but only because I think the word itself sounds bad.  If I had anemia instead, I wouldn't have any problems saying it.  I don't like using "diabetic," though, because for me it conjures up all of the misunderstandings and myths about diabetes.  If other people with diabetes say it, I couldn't care less, but being called a "diabetic" by someone who probably doesn't have a full grasp of the disease annoys me.  

to me, words are just words. they hold no meaning unless you give it to them. i am who i am, no matter how you say it.

but, ya know... that's just, like, my opinion, man. (obligatory big lebowski quote)

C, is there any way I can convince you to come to Boston and be my life coach?  I really admire your point of view on most of the topics we all talk about. 

I'll even call you "The Dude" if you'd like!

I have to agree completely with C on this one. Sure it really stinks to be called diabetic, but not really because of the word, just because it stinks to be diabetic. You could call me an auto-immune beta cell disorder patient and I still think it would be bad. I really would love to be called cured but thats another story.