The PUMP verdict is in...I'm ditching it and going back to shots

Welcome back to shots.... thats awesome you gave it a try, documented everything and made a fully imformed decision as to weather or not it was right for you... I want to talk to my doc about taking lantus 2x a day instead of one shot at night.. glad your happy! :)

[quote user="Evamarie"]

Welcome back to shots.... thats awesome you gave it a try, documented everything and made a fully imformed decision as to weather or not it was right for you... I want to talk to my doc about taking lantus 2x a day instead of one shot at night.. glad your happy! :)

[/quote]

I am on split dose of Lantus. I had read that people did it that way and thought that it would work out much better for me and keep my blood sugars better after lunch etc.  So, I just started doing it.  A couple of months later when I was at my endo, I told her, I switched to a split dose and she was cool with it.  I take 8 Units at 10:30pm and 10 Units at 10:30am.  I really do like it better.  What has helped even more is setting the alarm on my phone to go off at the times that I am supposed to take my shots so that I don't forget. :)

I think im just going to do it too... I do 23 Units of Lantus so i will do 10 at night and 13 in the morn.. I have a feeling this is going to be better for me... this is exciting lol :)

[quote user="ajax"]

I only have to stick myself with a needle once every three days, and it takes less than 5 minutes to insert/prime and be on my way - as opposed to a minute+ 5+ times/day, and 5+ needle holes in my body!

[/quote]

it definately took me a LOT longer than it does with shots to set-up my pump site. cuz it was falling out..i had to use alcohol swabs, wait for it to dry, use the skinprep, wait for it to dry, then make sure the pump was set-up before i did it. on average, i think it took me about 15mins-20mins to set-up the pump on a good day..and that was IF i didn't screw up and hit "continue" by mistake before loading the new cartridge in..and then i had to start all over again.

[quote user="Evamarie"]

[/quote]

I've been doing two shots a day of lantus for almost as long as i've been on it. so 3 or 4years. the first few months we did one shot, but my endo said it looked like i'm NOT in the 1% of diabetes who can take one shot of long-acting a day so we split it into 2 doses. 20 in the AM and 12 in the PM. worked much better tho it's still not perfect. i need to take more, its just where we're trying to figure out. 14 at night makes me low in the morning, so i might start trying 22 in the morning. on the pump i was only taking about 3units less of basal a day than with lantus.

I cant believe only 1% of diabetics can do one shot a day now im extra excited to start on the 2 shots just not looking forward to the adjusting... Im def worried that if i was doing 23 at night and now i switch to 10 ...am i going to wake up high? i guess i will just have to see, gonna start it on monday after the holiday

[quote user="Evamarie"]

I cant believe only 1% of diabetics can do one shot a day now im extra excited to start on the 2 shots just not looking forward to the adjusting... Im def worried that if i was doing 23 at night and now i switch to 10 ...am i going to wake up high? i guess i will just have to see, gonna start it on monday after the holiday

[/quote]

well i think he meant more like i'm not in the 1% of diabetic patients he has who can control their diabetes with one shot. most diabetics need it to be split because it does peak.

the difference is that the 23units is no longer suppose to last you until the next night, so don't be worried :). now you'll be doing 10units to last over night, (and i'm guessing) the other 13units to last you until your night lantus shot.

Batts,

The pump isn't for everyone. YOu tried and didn't like it. At least you can say you did try it! Good luck with MDI!

Thanks def looking forward to the new method, I feel like its gonna be so much better even on a day like tomorrow where its a holiday i can give myself extra lantus in the morn to cover the food where as before if i gave myself extra lantus at night i would obviously just go low during the nite.. maybe ill try it tonight!

[quote user="Gina"]

Batts,

The pump isn't for everyone. YOu tried and didn't like it. At least you can say you did try it! Good luck with MDI!

[/quote]

Yup! Now when someone tells me I would have better control I can tell them that my control was infact WORSE with the pump :D

Thanks Gina!

[quote user="Keith221"]

Good for you. If I remember right you were never very keen on the pump. For Mom and the Endo.?

A side question, I read where you said the island. I've been to Victoria Island, BC, have family there, been swimming in some lake there. I think a family name is Dr. Mc Kechney(spelling) and something about college soccer.

[/quote]

I did it partly because I'm sick of going to my endo and having him say "it's alright, but it could be better" when talking about my control, and also a little bit of pressure from all the pumpers on here. Also because I know it makes my mom sad when she thinks about how hard things are for me, and all the shots I have to take. But also because I decided that if I was going to try it at any point..this would be the best time. I do want better control and if the pump was going to help me get there, then there's no better time to try than while I'm struggling with MDI for better control and while I have a good job that has good benefits too.

The only Endo's on the island are Dr. Philips (who I see), Dr. Millers and Dr. Capes (female) but Dr. Capes has no good recommendations. So I'm pretty much stuck. Dr. Philips is fine, doesn't have the best bedside manner I guess you'd call it though and doesn't like to "chit chat". I'll get over the whole male thing sooner or later I'm sure.

[quote user="Sarah"]

You can get pens that you don't have to push a button for. The thing you used was probably a thing that you insert the pen in, so you don't have to manually insert the needle into your skin. But you can just have the ben by itself and inject it like a regular syringe- no button pushing/shooting the needle into yourself.

[/quote]

That's good to know, but I think I'll keep to needles for now :) the thing I used was for the syringe, not a pen, but yeah it inserted the syringe so i didn't have to manually...i tried to look it up on the net but couldn't find it.

[quote user="Evamarie"]

Thanks def looking forward to the new method, I feel like its gonna be so much better even on a day like tomorrow where its a holiday i can give myself extra lantus in the morn to cover the food where as before if i gave myself extra lantus at night i would obviously just go low during the nite.. maybe ill try it tonight!

[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend giving yourself extra lantus for the food you'll be eating tomorrow or ever. the purpose of lantus is to keep your levels steady and normal in the background, like when you're not eating....you should only be adjusting your short-acting insulin for food..

My 5 year old daughter (diagnosed Feb 2009), got the pump in July.  It's not more work than the needles...but has it's own pros and cons.  I chuckled when I read your daughter can't wait 'til she can try the pump."  Ellie's 5 and other 5 year olds ask her all the time if they can try her "camera."   One other preschooler (non-diabetic), after checking out Ellie's, proclaimed, "I'm getting a pump when I turn 10." (I said a silent prayer hoping she never would, but loved that she thought it was desirable technology and not a piece of medical equipment.)

I don't think you are along with the "clicking thing."  In my daughter's pump class there was another person who was really worried about the "click" the injector made.  Not sure if she got over it.