The word 'diabetes'

does anyone else not like the word 'diabetes'?

i really don't like it. i don't know why, but i just don't like the way it sounds. every time i say it, i'll say it really fast because i don't like saying it.

anyone else like this?

I actually avoid saying it, instead going for wording that uses "Diabetic".  I evidently am still pronouncing it the "old way" and refuse to convert!
o

yeah, i usually try to avoid saying it, too, but sometimes there are times where i have to just say it :P

diabetes is what you make of it. fear of the word creates fear of the disease (or anger). diabetes is nothing to fear,

Ya, I agree i don't like the work either!

control your diet..it is only way to get out of it

valle nevado chile
ski portillo
farellones chile

I always specify Type 1 Diabetes. I hate that TV and most people simply say diabetes when 99% of the time it's type 2 they're referring to. On the other hand, I never call my son diabetic. I always say he has type 1 diabetes.

[quote user="Norma Lockwood"]

[/quote]

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

I agree.  Even my friends are still confused.  On holidays they send my 3 year old candy, but not Ayden because he has diabetes.  I feel they are confused by all the TV ads.  I feel really bad for him, not that he knows yet because he is only a 1 and 1/2, but he will soon catch on.

[quote user="Trish"]

I always specify Type 1 Diabetes. I hate that TV and most people simply say diabetes when 99% of the time it's type 2 they're referring to. On the other hand, I never call my son diabetic. I always say he has type 1 diabetes.

[/quote]

I agree with you.  We need another name for it. First, people assume that you can control it by diet or that your need to limit your carbs.  Second with the prevalence of Type 2, people just don't get it.  Truthfully, I didn't realize the difference until I had to, but now I'm so sensitive to it.  Anway, I only hate the word because of the confusion with Type 2.  Other than that, it's just a word.

I actually apparently pronounced it wrong my whole life i used to say diabetis instead of diabeteeeees lol and i hated saying diabeteeees ... and yes i agree its just an annoying word especially hearing that guy on TV say it all the time!

You guys are funny.  I don't really have a problem with the word itself.  I imagine that if you took the same condition and gave it another name it probably wouldn't be any better.  I agree with "C" fear of the word ignites fear of the condition.  And I believe someone famous once said "All we have to fear is fear itself." ;-)  I'm sure cancer patients hate the word cancer, but it's just a literary reference of the condition. 

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!

[/quote]

^ what Trish said...

valle nevado chile
ski portillo
farellones chile

[/quote]

????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woooh..you most deffenitaly must be refering ta something other than TYPE 1 DIABETES because controlling our diet dont "get us out of it". this is a life long chronic illness. we go through a lot just ta make it through one day. and if controlling our diet myself and many others would be "out of it" by now. ive had type 1 for 13 years, and although technology is getting better i still have it. im na trying ta sound rude just simply trying ta say please know your facts before you give input on something. it really bothers type 1 diabetics when people say things like you did, its tha same thing as when someone says "you shouldnt have ate as much sugar", or "just lose weight and youll be okay"...because that is type 2 na type 1. you can feel free ta contact me if you would like information on type 1 diabetes, so that you can understand what it really is, and na what most people think it is.

always,

jessarae

I always pair "type 1" with "diabetes"

I'll say "type 1 diabetes" pretty freely, just not describe it as a disease...usually use "condition" or "illness."  Just something I do.

ya diabetes int a "disease" it is actually defined as a chronic illness. i never think of it as having a "disease".

valle nevado chile
ski portillo
farellones chile

[/quote]

huh?

valle nevado chile
ski portillo
farellones chile

[/quote]

Yea, um, are you effing serious?  Those are REALLY some fighting words.

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

very true about the TV part. i usually say i have type 1