To Pump or Not to Pump...that is the question! haha

Ok so I emailed my CDE the other day and she emailed me back after like 4 days which was starting to worry me and her and my endo keep forgetting that I am not a pumper becuase they think I would be a good one. Well I was looking at the OneTouch Ping and it's one of those I can get it basically free because I have met my deductable. But of course I would have to do it before December or January or something. Which I totally agree with that so I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket, but it TERRIFIES still to go on the pump. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting it and then waiting several months before I actually go on it.

But then I think about the holidays and the ease of being on the pump! What do y'all think?

The thing with the pump is that if you are happy with how things are right now and your numbers and everything else are great I wouldn't switch just for the sheer fact that you met your deductible and it you would get the pump for free. It is a big decision to make. If nothing else while you have the time I would try to at least arrange to see if you can do a demo and see if you like it before jumping into it. I mean I love my pump and I am glad I finally convinced myself that I needed to do something to better treat myself. However, I was happy with my NPH / Humulin routine as well. Originally my doctor wanted to move me over to Lantus, but I would say, why fix it if it ain't broken. Truthfully, it was broken for me but I was just good at covering it. That though is a different story.

The thing with the pump is that it does make things go more smoothly and can make the life easier, but you also need to be prepared to transition over and make the changes that need to be done. If you are terrified of the idea I would wait. I would try to assess the situation and go from there. If you are having good control you have plenty of time to make the decision and I am sure you will meet your deductible again next year at some point as well. Try to see if you can do a saline trial or something like that to see if pumping is for you right now.

Hi Kimi...  what do you find terrifying about going on the pump?  Are there any questions we can answer?  Seems like it would be silly not to get it, if it's so inexpensive!

[quote user="Kimi (Aggie_Girl_10) "]

Ok so I emailed my CDE the other day and she emailed me back after like 4 days which was starting to worry me and her and my endo keep forgetting that I am not a pumper becuase they think I would be a good one. Well I was looking at the OneTouch Ping and it's one of those I can get it basically free because I have met my deductable. But of course I would have to do it before December or January or something. Which I totally agree with that so I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket, but it TERRIFIES still to go on the pump. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting it and then waiting several months before I actually go on it.

But then I think about the holidays and the ease of being on the pump! What do y'all think?

[/quote]

i thought the same thing with my insurance since i had hit my deductible..but they only ended up paying for a chunk of it(a large chunk that is)..and i was going to have to still cover $400..but Animas was nice enough to drop the price and I only paid $100 outta pocket.

If you're gonna switch to the pump, I would suggest doing it as soon as possible. I'm only a week in, and I'm REALLY glad i'm not trying to figure out my doses while also dealing with the stresses of the holiday. the first couple of weeks are hard, as any pumper will tell you..and boy are they not lying. at the moment i have to wake up at midnight, 2am, 3am and sometimes 4am to test my blood sugar and i've already had one site failure! i wouldn't want to be doing that in december or january!

Brian-I understand where you are coming from and I agree with that 100% about why fix it if it ain't broke. But at the same time, I won't meet my deductible again. The only reason I met it this year was because I was in 2 accidents. But I have given it some major consideration and I think I'm going to do the saline trial in November with my pump (since we already are in the process of getting it) I just have to go for blood work for insurance purposes. But I might not get started on it right away. I just want to go ahead and get it while I can without having to pay a heck of a lot.

Kim-I'm not exactly sure what scares me. I guess I've already gotten used to the injections and I was only diagnosed in July, that I guess it scares me of the usual "what if" something goes wrong.  My dr doesn't think anything would go wrong as they already get confused that I'm currently MDI and not on the pump. I guess at first when she emailed me about it I didn't like the idea but now that I filled out the paper work and am going next week to do the blood work it's not bothering me as bad.

Batts-My insurance will pay 100% which surprises me because of all the little things I have to pay for out of pocket. That's the only thing that worries me about getting started in November or December. Is it would be right in the middle of holidays and I might be going to California for Christmas which would be my first trip out of Texas with Diabetes, and I do not want to have to deal with time changes, all the food, and the pump. I might get started on it after New Year's unless I get really excited when I actually see my pump in November and jump right into it. Who knows.

Thanks guys for the thoughts and inputs!!! :)

the pump is amazing- i am currently on the ping and it had made my life so much easier. although it does require thorough knowledge of the device, it can greatly enhance your lifestyle and  your diabetes control. if you have any direct questions please feel free to let me know, i'm an open book.

I think you will be very excited to get the pump!  I know I was.  I was never scared to have it because my doctor told me while I was in the hospital that he wanted me to get a pump.  It is so much easier I think.  I have switched back and forth, but I love the pump because I don't have to pause my life to give myself a shot.  I can eat on the go and dial in my insulin instead of doing the fun, driving and "shooting up" at the same time!  I think you will love it and GOOD LUCK!

Also, if you are concerned about learning the new system, the FDA actually requires that the pump companies provide training for you on how to use their equiptment.  So, at least you know you'll be well informed, if you do decide to get it!

Kimi,  I waited 9 years (over 15,000 injections!) to switch to the pump, and personally, I am happy I did, though I was terrified of the tubing and having to have something hanging off my body all the time.  I chose the Omnipod which doesn't have any tubing, so it's not that bad

The thing is that if you do switch to a pump and find you don't like it, you can always go back to injections!!

Thanks guys for all of ya'lls comments. I think I'm going to still wait till January unless I get really excited about it when I actually see it, but I am going to try it cause I think it will make life feel a little bit more normal. I was diagnosed 4 months ago at 21 so it was a really hard transition and I need a little more normalcy (if that's a word) in my life again. I know it won't make it go away, but it might help, right?

Ok so I just got a call from Animas and the pump will be at my drs. office on Friday and I'm hoping I can go ahead and get started on it on Friday at least the saline trial and then I have a regular appointment on Tuesday and hopefully I can actually be on insulin with it by then!!! EEEKKK I'm kinda excited now! I think it just had me worried about money and everything and I don't have to pay anything so that makes it even more exciting. But I don't know yet, I put in a call to my dr and am waiting for her to call back to see when I can get started on it. :-)

[quote user="Kimi (Aggie_Girl_10) "]

Batts-My insurance will pay 100% which surprises me because of all the little things I have to pay for out of pocket. That's the only thing that worries me about getting started in November or December. Is it would be right in the middle of holidays and I might be going to California for Christmas which would be my first trip out of Texas with Diabetes, and I do not want to have to deal with time changes, all the food, and the pump. I might get started on it after New Year's unless I get really excited when I actually see my pump in November and jump right into it. Who knows.

[/quote]

My insurance pays 100% coverage until Jan when everything gets re-set and they go back to paying 80% til i hit my deductible(which wont be hard now..gah 3months worth of infusion sites, not the cartiages or anything, $600!) but they didn't pay 100% on the actual pump. If you go with the pump, EXPECT to pay even a bit out of pocket. Animas dropped the price $300 so it only cost me $100 outta pocket, but I still had to pay something. I've yet to hear of an insurance company that pays for the pump itself 100%.

I'm glad to hear you're going on the saline trial, i think it's a good idea for anyone. I helped me ease into the idea of the pump(tho I still prefer needles over the pump, it has helped me get slightly better control) AND it made my actual pump training go so much faster cuz i already knew the controls and how to put a site in, etc. look forward to hearing how the saline trial goes!

Well I didn't go on the saline trial :(  Batts after hearing how it made things easier for you I was very sad, but it didn't get to the drs office in time and I had to be at my dads by 5. So I'm going on Monday to pick up the pump and read about it and what not and get to know it and then starting on it on Tuesday still!!! :)