:(

I often find myself really sad, angry and bored. I have been treated for depression (counseling, and medication) but I'm still having issues. I don't feel like I can talk to my parents. Every time I tell my mom something, even when I ask her not to tell anyone, she goes and tells people. I don't care if it's my grandma, or her best friend - there are some things that I'd like to stay private, like, depression. And now I feel like I don't have anyone to trust. Nobody understands this whole diabetes thing. Just because I have insulin doesn't mean I'm not going to go high and low.

I'd just like someone to talk to. Thanks.

Parents are tough to deal with for Type1, especially during adolescence (and even through adulthood).  I would look for a local chapter of JDRF in your area with other type 1s or at least peruse juvenation for other people your age.

The important thing to remember here is that you are not alone and that there are other people that have gone through and are going through what you are experiencing today.  Another type1 can help you see that you may have some issues in common.  Whether it is a peer in a similar situation, or an adult that you trust, it is important that you talk to someone!

When I was first diagnosed and I was away from home during my teens, my parents where a bit overbearing when it came to my care (though I went to boarding school and controlled my disease all by myself), so it was tough to explain to them that I needed them at times and at other times I was OK (my diabetes was not a topic that always had to be brought up and also not in front of everyone).  

Let´s see if some peers respond that my be in your age group that might provide some insight, but I suspect we have all gone through this in some way/shape/form at some point or another regardless of age.

You are not alone, and it will take some communication with your parents to ´train´ them about privacy and who you would like to handle your diabetes in public, especially in the teen years where we seem to be more sensitve than normal (adolescence is already a tough age, add diabetes and it becomes even tougher!).

-eddie

Talk, vent what ever you want it's welcome here!!! I know what you mean about people not understanding. Try unemployment, no calls for a year, divorce and getting dx'ed with type 1 diabetes at age 52. If you feel down or anything, you come here for a good feeling. I could be a internet Grandpa if you need one. LOL As long as you do your best, that's enough!!!!

I know exactly where you are coming from. I personally don't talk to my parents about depression because I don't want them to worry about nme being too sad or overwhelmed by the issues I have caused from diabetes. I feel that no matter what I do I can't control it. I have insulin and I take... how ever if I exercise it gets too low..... and if I take less or don't take it I get too tired to exersize. I feel like no matter what I do I can't balance it. I feel like no matter what I do I'll nevfer call a truce in this battle against diabetes. I'm sorry i didn't give you some pick me up advice, but I want you to know that there is someone who feels the same.

I remember hearing that clinical depression is more common in diabetics.  Next time you see your endo, tell him or her about it.  It is something that can be dealt with.  There are amazing things they can do now-a-days treating depression.   I am blessed in that I don't suffer it, but my wife, non-diabetic, does and part of the challenge is getting her motivated to act on it simply because she is depressed.   I hope you bravely tell your endo about it.  It can make your life better and easier to deal with this confusing disease we all are trying to live with.  Getting both diabetes and depression just doesn't seem fair.  I also understand that low blood sugars can help trigger the same endorphines that people with depression have  Best wishes to you!

Most importantly, try to remember you are not alone. There are over 10,000 of use here on Juvenation who can very easily sympathize with your situation. Myself, I have suffered for a long time from depression, eventually leading to alcoholism. I have been sober for over 4 years with extensive treatment and therapy. The depression will always be a struggle for me, but I work hard on attempting to maintain a balance. We all feel sad somedays, and we need to let ourselves express those feelings.

I'm not doing a good job of trying to tell you what I mean to say... I'm not so good with the words! :o) Please know we are here to support you and help you. We want nothing but the best for you and care about your continued success with diabetes care and management. Let us know where we can help you, how we can support and encourage you. Don't feel like you have to carry the burden of diabetes all by yourself - we will help you carry it :o)

I am familiar with the organization  your avatar represents. If you have TWOLHA on facebook, read some of the quotes they post daily. There are people in that organization who can also help you find help you need, when you don't feel you can turn to your parents. Communication with others familiar with your situation can help get rid of feelings of loneliness.

You are NOT alone!  We are here whenever you need to talk!  Keep smiling!:D

Can you tell your mom exactly what you wrote here? Your mom might be scared herself. She may fee the need to talk to her mom

in a search for advice and wisdom.

Remember that there are so many people here you can talk to around your age. I have had depression for a long time as well as family problems and destructive mannerisms. However, it does go away. I went to therapy and really hashed out the root of everything that was wrong with my life and the depression went away on its own. I am here to listen anytime :)

Remember that there are so many people here you can talk to around your age. I have had depression for a long time as well as family problems and destructive mannerisms. However, it does go away. I went to therapy and really hashed out the root of everything that was wrong with my life and the depression went away on its own. I am here to listen anytime :)