Training

Are there any good salines you use when training other people to give injections.

Some family really want to feel what the shot feels like and I don't know where to get the saline.

How about a saline glucagon?

Thanks

Have you asked your pharmacist if this is something you can buy? I'd be wary of breaking out part of my glucagon kit if it were me.

you should just be able to ask the drug store. i dont think theres a "good" vs "bad" saline..its just water and salt..

as other have said, your pharmacist should be able to get you the saline - and I think it would be just over the counter - probably saline nasal spray - just make sure it is just one that only contains salt (NaCl) and water. Squirt some in a clean cup and fill the syringe from that.

Are they really sure they want to try what a glucagon shot feels like? That is a bigger needle that is designed to go intramuscularly - so I think it could be harder to get the right needle/syringe. It would feel more like getting a immunization (like the flu shot). (I would guess - I don't know for sure). And as you would not 'feel' the glucagon shot if someone has to give it to you - since you should be passed out or having a seizure to require it - is there really a need or desire to know what it feels like? If it is just to practice giving one - you could ask your diabetes clinic if they have some expired units to try on an orange. You could also talk with your CDE about both these questions.

When I was 7, my diabetes camp taught me to inject myself (big scary needles back then too!). Then had me start w/ an orange, but it wasn't helpful b/c it felt nothing like doing my own injection. You don't pinch any skin up and it goes in at a different rate. I still have an extremely clear memory of doing my own shot for the 1st time in m,y left leg! Just my personal opinion...