Treatment

Hi everyone!  I am new to this group and saw that there aren't any posts yet, so I thought I would start with a question.....how do you treat your depression?  Are there any of you out there who don't use medication?  If so, what works for you?  I am looking for ways to cope without medication.  Can't wait to hear about your therapies!

While I still have "those" days where I don't want to get out of bed, they are less and I attribute it to my two unbelievable labrador retreivers!!  Yes, I know, sounds a bit silly but they need long walks every day and when I am having a bad day or week! they keep me going with their unconditional love, loyalty, and zest for life.  When I went into DKA once at home and when I was first diagnosed and lost my sight for two weeks, my yellow lab not only alerted my husband but never left my side for a minute even to eat her dinner.  And she is not trained as a service dog!  It is hard to be depressed with 2 80lb bodies of fur around you.  And on those days when I don't want to get out of bed they just climb in with me until I am ready to face the day.

I know not everyone can have a dog or cat or animal but I truly believe they increase your endorphins.  If you can't have an animal I know for me volunteering at a shelter or organization that helps animals is very uplifting and you forget about your own problems.  I was on antidepressants for many  years and since I have had my dogs I haven't taken any since.  I am not saying I don't still get depressed but canine love is a lot better than a pill!!

There are many days when I don't want to get out of bed.....I have the most wonderful husband and two little stepdaughters and I still feel like I need some TNT to get my butt out of bed.   Dogs are wonderful!  I have a Goldendoodle!  Her name is Buffett.  I can just look at her and she brings the biggest smile to my face.  She knows when I am dealing with diabetes issues....when I am running high, I think she senses that something is wrong.  She lays on the floor on my side of the bed many nights.  I feel like she is there to protect me!  I love her to death. 

I use a balance of medication (a SNRI and ) and therapy.  I find that when one is missing I start having issues. 

I am probably supposed to know what an SNRI is, but I am drawing a blank.....could you help me on this one?  Thanks:)

Hey,  I was diagnosed in May of this year at the age of 37.  I was told I got it from a virus like a cold or a sinus infection.  That when I had the infection my immune system was down and the virus was able to attack my pancreas so now i don't produce insulin.  I also have a hard time getting out of bed or off the couch.  My doctors tell me that I just need to deal with it.  I feel hopeless and helpless.  I have a great husband (of 20 years), 4 children and 4 rescued dogs, but  nothing seems to bring me any joy.  

After my diagnosis my hair started to fall out like crazy.  The dr.s kept saying it was from stress.  Finally they did a scalp biopsy and they found out I have alopecia- areata.  So they put me on prednisone.  Within the last 3 months I have gained over 40lbs.  I look horrible.  Some people say that the insulin puts weight on you ( I know the prednisone does).  Is that true?  So now I look as bad as I feel.  Nothing fits and i don't want to be seen.  I honestly wish I had never found out I had it.  

Insulin can put some weight on you if you are taking more than you should to cover more carbs than you should be eating.  I hope that makes sense! 

I can relate to everything that you said in your post, except for the alopecia.  I have struggled with my weight probably since I hit puberty.  But, you have to just try your best to motivate yourself to exercise....I know....I hate exercise, but once I get started, I usually feel really good afterwards!  But it is hard, I know.....I feel like some days I could just sleep for 24 hours straight.  It stinks!  Medication has been a little helpful, but if you can just find a way to help yourself without medication, I would love to have that answer! 

Just know that you are not alone.....Try to take one day at a time.  Don't give up!

Thanks Angela

I dont even know where to begin. I have had diabetes for 25 years and it has never gotten easier. I hit a point that I gave up. I got tired of seeing high bloodsugars, so I quit testing. I got tired of even making the effort to push the button on my pump! Yeah cuz THATS helping! *dripping with sarcasm* I have tried therapy, medication, and have 3 beautiful animals. Nothing has worked.

I just recently married the man of my dreams and how can I look him in the eyes and tell him I have given up? The damage was done BEFORE I gave up and well, if the damage was done, why try? I cant. I simply cannot look at the person I love most in life and tell them I choose death.

So what now? We are military so finding a therapist is hard. Chaplins on base are 'solution oriented" which, I KNOW the solution so thats not going to work. I have told doctors in the past that I wanted help and I too was told to "get over it" or "tough, its your life". No one seems to offer REAL help.

I have an appointment with a new Endo on Tuesday and I am hoping to maybe get some help. I also am starting a support group (with luck that my health holds up, I have other issues besides diabetes) for people in my area. My husband found this site and I am hoping that talking to others that go thru what I do will help as well.

Hi Amy,

I hope you get the help you need from your new endocrinologist.  Although I haven't had Diabetes as long as you have, I do understand depression, frustration and wanting to give up.  I hope you won't.  I hope your new endo can help you get better control.  I had a very bad endo that missed diagnosed me and I was blind for two weeks.  But, as I too met and married the man of my dreams I couldn't let him down even though I cried all the time when he wasn't home.  Luckily, I got a new doctor who helped and changed everything.  She helped balance me out as I also had a thyroid problem and I have found that although I get exhausted trying to manage my health, once I take control of it , I feel much better.  You have to learn to be your own health advocate.  You deserve to get all the help you need and then some.  I no longer care what people think of me when I need help.  I ask for it and sometimes even need to insist it.  I have yelled, cried, swore at doctors nurses and therapists.  While I am not (encourageing this behavior) my point is to try and find the strength to stand up for yourself and ask for what you need.  Sometimes you do get what you ask for.  Sometimes you just keep going until you do.

If your husband found this site for you, he loves you very much and wants to help you. And its good to find a group too.  Ironically, my husband is perfectly healthy and never goes to the doctor which frustrates the hell out of me.  So when he gets tired of listening and being supportive I have to look outside for people who can relate to chronic illness.  I feel for you as I know how the military can be.  My husband served in Viet Nam.  He and his three brothers all survived thankfully but mention the military and well............

Good luck to you - don't give up  - and ask questions with your new doctor.  Most importantly, that man of your dreams loves you, because you are the woman of his dreams - Diabetes or not, we are not our illness!!!!

Leslie,

I feel horrible about reading your story. Insulin does will make u gain weight if you eat too many carbs and you are taking more insulin to cover the carbs. Something irks me about what the doctor told you on how you got diabetes. You don't get diabetes from a cold, or sinus infection. Diabetes is hereditary and the only way you have a chance of getting it is if someone else in your family has had it before you. I would go and get a second opinion. You should go to a neurologist to find out why you have a hard time getting up from the couch or whatever you are sitting or laying on. It could be nerves and you should get it checked out, and for them to tell you that you should just deal with it is wrong. I feel so bad about this. They should be there to help you not make you feel worse. I also have problems with my weight, but my husband tries to make me feel beautiful every chance he gets. My weight is actually like a yoyo and it goes up and down. I think the pancreas makes you gain weight in it self. I read all the time that diabetics all have problems with their weight. I hope this helps you a little bit. But keep us posted. 

Debra,   Thank you so much for your concern.  You will never know how much it means to me that you took your time to write to me.

I have heard about eating to many carbs and then taking more insulin to cover it as being a reason as to why the weight is on.  I swear diabetes does not run in my family on either side.  We researched our family's history and going back to my great - great grandparents and cousins and no one has it.  It was kinda funny because when they first found out i had it through the blood work, I was told I had type 2.  After a couple of weeks my numbers were way out of control and I was on Metformin.  So they admitted me and did other tests and the hospital doctors came back a told me that I actually have type 1.  Everyone was confused because no one in my family has it.  So they tested it again and came back with the same results.  Since then I have ended up in almost every ER in town either for being out and bottoming out to where I almost faint to being so high.  Now we can tell when it is real high.  For example a few weeks ago I was so thirsty plus I had other symptoms that were noticeable (almost like I was drunk and I do not drink, not even socially) so when we checked my Contour meter it read "too high".  I went over to the fire station (they are at the end of my street and they have told me to come to them if I ever had any concerns) they checked it and their's read the same "too high".  They advised me to go to the ER.  The triage nurse also could not get a reading so they had to get it by drawing blood. Turns out I was at 778.  But every time I go to the ER they don't believe me when I tell them I have type 1 and i am newly diagnosed, so what do they do they also do extra tests which always comes back as type 1.  I don't have insurance so this is quickly driving us to the poor house.

I am afraid I did not explain better about the hard time I have getting around.  I think it is because of my weight.  My legs get so sore that they become like rubber bands.  But your info is so worth looking into.  With my doctors I feel like they treat me differently because I don't have insurance.  My primary care Doctor talked with me about being put on the pump, so the next day I had an appointment to see my endo.  When I got there he had already spoke with my primary doctor and my primary doctor questioned him on why they were not treating me more aggressively.  When he came to see me he told me that it has been proven that people who inject themselves up to 4 times a day (like I do) are getting the same results as if they were on the pump.  He even told me that I could not afford it.  When I told my primary doctor that he said that she was pissed, she said that we could do fundraisers and even contact the makers of the pumps to see if they could help.   But I SWEAR they told me SEVERAL times that you can get it from a virus and other professionals have told me the same thing so I just don't know.  But once again, thanks for caring about me!!

i got depression / anizity  cause my dad  f ing sucks all he knows is numbers  he smokes and drinks and does not know anything about type 1 diabetes and forces me to go out and eat with him and i don't want to and when he tries to do a insilin needle for me i throw it away thinking its cotamintated god knows whats on his hands and im afraid of geting a infection from a contamnted needle scares me everyday i do not  trust alot of people and im afraid of germs and inhailing chemicals like if somethong smells like smoke or gas or some chemical i freak out  and sweat and blame god for most of my problems and im addicted to using alot of hand sanitizer  at school or at hotels  which im at one right now fearing for my life cause 1  the beds were dirty had to get those changed 2 the showers i do like taking showers at hotels just sets off but today i had to panic attack 3 im afarid of contracing some diese or virius from a hotel  scares me  and some times i say things like i hate life for random reasons other times because i have a reason 2 involes my type 1  diabtes     i am mad at my dad i was staying at the hotel with my mom and then she had to go to help with my stupid younger  brothers with school which is not fair when im dealing with every f ing issure i beged her  not go but she did and again i yelled i hate life

if you have any advice that would be go thank you for your time to read this

[quote user="peter myers "]

i got depression / anizity  cause my dad  f ing sucks all he knows is numbers  he smokes and drinks and does not know anything about type 1 diabetes and forces me to go out and eat with him and i don't want to and when he tries to do a insilin needle for me i throw it away thinking its cotamintated god knows whats on his hands and im afraid of geting a infection from a contamnted needle scares me everyday i do not  trust alot of people and im afraid of germs and inhailing chemicals like if somethong smells like smoke or gas or some chemical i freak out  and sweat and blame god for most of my problems and im addicted to using alot of hand sanitizer  at school or at hotels  which im at one right now fearing for my life cause 1  the beds were dirty had to get those changed 2 the showers i do like taking showers at hotels just sets off but today i had to panic attack 3 im afarid of contracing some diese or virius from a hotel  scares me  and some times i say things like i hate life for random reasons other times because i have a reason 2 involes my type 1  diabtes     i am mad at my dad i was staying at the hotel with my mom and then she had to go to help with my stupid younger  brothers with school which is not fair when im dealing with every f ing issure i beged her  not go but she did and again i yelled i hate life

if you have any advice that would be go thank you for your time to read this

[/quote]

Hi Peter,

I know somewhat what you are going through. My father smokes alot, but he doesn't drink. He divorced my mom because of many reasons, and when I was just 9 years old, I got really sick while I was at my father's house. (I was diagnosed October 31st, 1994.) That day was the day that I got extremely sick with all the symptoms of Diabetes (type 1). The way my father handled it was to drive me 45 minutes away to my mother's house (while the closest hospital was 10 minutes away) and drop me off there. My mom was not home at the time and my father left me (sick-throwing up, having to use the bathroom, and shaking from the cold) on the doorstep until 8 hours later when my mother finally returned home. My father didn't care about me then and he sure as hell still doesn't care about me today. I can give you some advice, but only you are going to be able to change your opinion on things. 16 years after I got diagnosed, I am now married and very happy. I used to hate life just like you are now. But I kept telling myself that I will make myself better than my father, I will prove him wrong one day. You are young and you have a lot to live for. Just hang in there and everything will work out for itself and for you. As for the needles part, Don't you know how to give the shots yourself? If you don't you should talk to the doctor about learning how to inject the insulin by yourself so that you don't have to trust anyone else to do it for you. I have been giving my own insulin shots to myself from Day 1. I know it will be hard if you don't know how to do it just yet, but I think it will be well worth it in the end. I also think that if you are depressed and have anxiety about anything that is going on in your life or from your diabetes or from anything at all, that you should look into going to therapy of some kind. It might help. I hope this helped you, and keep in touch. You can add me as a friend on here if you like, and you can also talk to me if you want. I will listen. I will try to help in any way that I can.

Take care,

Debra

I have both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder along with type 1. I am on 3 medications: an anticonvulsant (as a mood stabilizer), an antipsychotic, and an antidepressant. I have been on the antidepressant since 2001 and the other three since 2004... So this is an excellent "cocktail" for me...

I also suffer with diabulimia. I have been suffering since 2005. I have been doing this for so long that it has become a habit and I don't know how to stop. Am looking for a support group for it in my area, but can't find one...

my depression has caused my to do things that are dangrous like spray paint walls i got some in my lungs not good its like i hate life cause my partents ruin by taking away my music my boom box and possibly my life and im just doing dangouers things cause i don't care   and i hate having diabetes kids  at school make fun of me its a small school and im the only diabetic  being low sucks and kids act like they know everthingg thing about diabets and say like why don't u eat candy or something its i like wtf

can you or anybody else help me

that first paragraph you wrote amy has been the story of my life the past couple months.

i feel like whatever i do, i am going to get complications anyway, so why try controlling it.

i am really starting to feel like absolute shit though.

i hate this.

i am 18, so i still have a whole life to deal with it.

i can't see this getting any easier.

i really want to talk to someone, but i don't think any of my friends would be interested or care and most of the don't know. i can't talk to my parents either cuz i never talk about diabetes with them, i just text my mom what supplies i need. 

I feel your pain!  i was diagosed at 18, but at 29 had a stressful circumstance in my family, and gained 12lbs in a month.  I'm now 50 lbs more than i was back then...anyway.  I was told that when you stop making insulin, you also stop making chromium and vanadium.  they are essential to how the body works.  you may want to google it, but the dr.  said something about how the insulin puts the fat in the cells and the chromium takes the fat out.  so, obviously without the chromium, the fat sits there. 

I'm sorry you're struggling.  I have been so depressed lately and know what you're going through.  I have a very loving hubby and kiddos, and dogs, but also have a very hard time getting up and feeling motivated and happy!

hang in there!  :)

A year before I was diagnosed, I had a major virus!  I was out of "service" for 2 weeks!  I slept sitting up at night, because I was so sick, I couldn't lay down.  When I was diagnosed, they said type 2.  After a year of roller coaster blood sugars, I saw a new endo, and he said I was type 1.  Talking with a woman whose daughter has type 1 with the same reason that we have (illness), she said that her doctor told her that there may be a gene passed down through a family that isn't "compatable" with a certain illness.  So, in other words, if I hadn't gotten that specific virus, I'd still be ok.  But, my cells were confused with the virus I had, so they attacked my pancreas.  Another suggestion is that the virus began in the pancreas, therefore, the attack on the virus, damaged the pancreas.  I don't know why I have it.  No one in my family history has type 1.  My kids don't have it, aren't at risk.  All I know is that, it sucks, it's hard.  I have recently been blessed to help a friend, with type 1 who's pregnant for the first time, with her questions.  If I hadn't gone through 3 healthy pregnancies, I couldn't help her.  ya know?  There's a reason for me having diabetes, even if I don't know why. 

Peter I am in 7th grade and i feel the same way! I lost my dad at the age of 6 and sience then its been ackward with my mom and I, she never talks bout him I try but nothin..... kids at school make fun of me and my friend we r both type 1 like "go get candy in u" "whats wrong with u do u have issues" some kid asked if i was mental? life doesnt matter to me that much either but I really dont think you should do dangerous things becuz udc I think if u took ur life then u would b an idiot u need to stand up for urself kick @ if u have to whatever it takes to get somebody to relize

Im always here 4 u