Tresiba

Okay, so I really need to know if anyone else is having an issue with their Tresiba going bad after a day. I’ve been trying to figure out what is causing the problem. The needles tips are not on the pens longer than 5-10 seconds. I’ve tried placing them back in the fridge after use to see if that helps, it does not. I’ve tried so many things. My home is at a constant 68-72 degrees and up until 6 months ago, I didn’t have this issue. I’ve noticed also that the self-healing rubber bit at the end appears bulged out. I can’t keep throwing my pens out after a day of use. I only get so much insulin per month. I did contact Novo-Nordisk but that was a month ago they could care less ( I sent them 4 of the 8 bad pens that I had now I have more. ). There is significant white particulate floating through the insulin. I’ve shown my pharmacy several times and they tell me its gone bad but they can only one and its a one-time thing. So I was wondering if this is just me or if others are having the same issue as I am. I’m 99% sure it’s nothing I’m doing.

HI Amanda. Protein precipitation (bits floating in insulin) can occur when insulin is mishandled, specifically during re-freezing and then subsequent thawing. Insulin freezes a little colder than water, but a household refrigerator could potentially freeze it and be a cause of this problem.

if you have a fritzy-fridge that is freezing your insulin, then your best bet is not not put your pens in the fridge. There are a lot of ways to band-aid a refrigerator that does this “sometimes” probably the easiest is to put your pens into a thermos or insulated sandwich bag and then put that bag into the fridge, also, put your kit in a different spot int he fridge… etc. There’s a little dial for temperature control of a refrigerator, if it is sometimes freezing insulin you could possibly turn it down a smidge… refrigerator temperature controls take 48 hours to stabilize after making a change. , if you have an old refrigerator it may be a sign of a mechanical problem (or a dirty condenser) and it may possibly break eventually or need a little TLC and service…

If it were me, I would show the insulin to the pharmacy, claim that “it came this way” and demand replacement for the entire shipment. I would threaten to call the police if they didn’t fix this and I would claim that they perpetrated a “theft by deception” by “selling you defective materials”… but that’s just me. I would not mention anything about refrigeration.

agglomeration can possibly occur if the pens were subject to direct sunlight, but that’s not very likely.

anyway, no, in my 40 year history with insulin I’ve never had it “go bad”. I’m not saying it can’t happen I am just saying it never happened to me. hope you can get some more insulin. good luck.

My fridge is only about a year and a half old so I don’t think it’s on the fritz at least I hope not. I keep it on the highest and warmest shelf of the fridge when it’s in there. I will try leaving the whole thing out next time cause I really will go through 9 boxes of it in 8 weeks. I go through a pen of u-200 in 2 days right now so it won’t be out that long. Thank you for the tip with this I wish they would have mentioned something like that. It comes out of the fridge clear and I get through my injections and the next day there is flakes. I do let it come to room temp before injections I use that time to prep myself for my shots my belly Is tender most days so it can take me a bit to find a spot. I keep blackout Curtains In my living room window and it’s kept in the red tower on the table next to my seat where I take my injections. Hehe it matches its neighbor the sharps container.

well- I think you don’t need the fridge at all then. one strategy might be 4 pens in the fridge, 4 at ambient (never in fridge) when you use those 4 you take out the next 4 and keep them out. cold-ambient-cold, etc., maybe might possibly contribute to seeing these particles.

a brand new fridge won’t have a dirty condenser, but it doesn’t mean it can’t drop below freezing just as it is ready to turn off. top shelves are very close to the air discharge (coldest air in the fridge) or many refrigerators, that’s why a insulated box in the fridge could work: even an insulated lunch bag (box) will keep short-durations of cold air from affecting the average insulin temperature.

good luck!

None of my other insulin kept in the same location has this issue not even my growth hormone. I don’t think it’s my fridge. I think it’s the Tresiba. I also use their Fiasp insulin and it’s kept in the same location but it doesn’t have this issue.

:grinning: ok I give up. No moreguesses