Trying to get pregnant with Type 1 Diabetes & Celiac Disease

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get pregnant I have type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. I am wondering if anyone has had a successful pregnancy with both diseases or advice.

Thanks,

Meghan 

I don't know about celiac, but had a very successful pregnancy with type 1 diabetes.  

Having an insulin pump and a OBGYN I liked were instrumental to both me and my son being healthy.  Because of my diabetes I'd always been afraid ot have a baby.  Thankfully, God had other plans and it taught me how very possible it is to be a mom with type 1.

Take care.  -Jenna

Hi Meghan,

I have type 1 diabetes and celiac and just gave birth successfully last July.  I'd be happy to talk to you about my experiences.  Let me know what information might be helpful.  :)

Courtney

Hi Courtney,

Thanks I want to know everything. I found a book on pregnancy with diabetes but nothing on celiac and diabetes. Here are some questions.

When you had morning sickness what did you eat instead of crackers?

What issues or challenges did you have with celiac?

Did you find that the diabetes or celiac affect one or other?

Did you have problems with getting pregnant? I have read that sometimes with celiac it sometimes is harder to get pregnant was that the case for you?

Did you have to be hospitalized for being sick or go on bed rest because of celiac? This is something that I read online so I just want to know if this is true.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Any information that you can give me would be great. I'm worried about everything I'm trying to get as much information as I can so I know what to be prepared for.

Meghan

Hi Meghan,

I was actually pretty lucky and had very little morning sickness.  When I was nauseous I'd eat something like gf toast, like Udi's which toasts quite well.

One of the biggest challenges was trying to figure out what to eat if I needed to eat out.  The celiac restrictions + pregnancy restrictions + diabetes made it quite challenging.  Sometimes it felt like there was nothing to eat, and I guess sometimes it really was the case, so I made sure to have lots of snacks on me just in case (juice/milk boxes, gf "granola" bars, fruit).  Eating at home was less of a problem because I had much more control (this of course is also true when not pregnant).

It was hard switching to a gf diet with diabetes when I first did so a few years ago, I had to relearn how much insulin I needed for certain grains/foods I wasn't used to eating.  I didn't really notice one affecting the other much while pregnant.  The diabetes was probably the harder thing to manage during pregnancy - trying to have tight blood sugar control combined with insulin resistance and constantly writing everything down.  For the celiac, I pretty much just continued following my gf diet, with the exception that I became much more careful about possible cross contamination.  Pre-pregnant I'd occasionally eat fries at restaurants, for example, but while pregnant I didn't want to risk having any reaction that might alter the nutrition she was getting.

I should probably mention that I don't have the extremely adverse reactions to gluten that many people with celiac have.  I definitely have celiac (tested positive for the antibodies, confirmed small intestine damage, etc.), but I cannot always tell when I have small quantities of gluten and am doing damage to myself.  This actually makes things a bit tricky and is why I was much more careful about possible contamination.

I did not have any trouble getting pregnant.  And for the most part the pregnancy went really well - no bed rest or hospitalizations.  They let me go to 39 1/2 weeks and then I ended up with a c-section when induction did not work.

I think it probably depends on how well your diabetes and celiac are controlled or can be.  Everything was manageable for me, I just to be much more careful, and everything was much more time consuming.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.  Hopefully you can get some information from some others with both diabetes and celiac.  Have you tried posting this question to the celiac group?

Courtney

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for all the information. No I haven't posted anything on the celiac group.

Meghan

Hopefully the info is at least somewhat helpful.  :)  Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Courtney