TSA and Travel with Diabetes

Here is all you need to know about traveling with diabetes, taken directly from the Transportation Security Administration

Diabetes-related supplies, equipment, and medication, including liquids, are allowed through the checkpoint once they have been properly screened by X-ray or hand inspection. Passengers should declare these items and separate them from other belongings before screening begins.

Liquids, gels, and aerosols are screened by X-ray and medically necessary items in excess of 3.4 ounces will receive additional screening. A passenger could be asked to open the liquid or gel for additional screening. TSA will not touch the liquid or gel during this process.

If the passenger does not want a liquid, gel, or aerosol X-rayed or opened for additional screening, he or she should inform the officer before screening begins. Additional screening of the passenger and his or her property may be required, which may include a patdown.

Accessories required to keep medically necessary liquids, gels, and aerosols cool – such as freezer packs or frozen gel packs – are permitted through the screening checkpoint and may be subject to additional screening. These accessories are treated as liquids unless they are frozen solid at the checkpoint. If these accessories are partially frozen or slushy, they are subject to the same screening as other liquids and gels.

If a passenger uses an insulin pump, he or she can be screened without disconnecting from the pump. However, it is important for the passenger to inform the officer conducting the screening about the pump before the screening process begins.

Passengers who have insulin pumps can be screened using imaging technology, metal detector, or a thorough patdown. A passenger can request to be screened by patdown in lieu of imaging technology.

Regardless of whether the passenger is screened using imaging technology or metal detector, the passenger’s insulin pump is subject to additional screening. Under most circumstances, this will include the passenger conducting a self patdown of the insulin pump followed by an explosive trace detection sampling of the hands.

Source: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/passengers-diabetes  

No mention of CGM though.

actually the CGM presents a new problem.  anything "medically necessary" can get through TSA screening, water bottles, juice, gel packs, anything.  Of course if you declare this stuff you get to be on the long line and get special testing and handling.  I fly a lot and this is not how I choose to go through TSA screening.

the cgm goes through screening same way a pump does, but it's when you are on board that presents the new problem.  Technically for my pump I would have to disable my meter from the wireless communication with my pump.  I never do this, but technically I have to, to comply.  All cgm's are transmitters, and there is no way to disable transmission signals from the sensor (you can disable the receiver but who cares, the interference with the aircraft would come from the transmitter)  so technically you can't have them on board the airplane during takeoff or landing.  No one has brought this up, I doubt if it could cause any real problems, but it is a issue with takeoff/landing current requirements .

Just got back from my trip.  No trouble from TSA going through the metal detector while wearing the G4 sensor/transmitter.  They did stop us to look at the desktop computer and synthesizer in our carry-ons.  For takeoff and landing they say to turn off anything that can be turned off, but the transmitter doesn't have an off switch.  I hear they are considering changing the rules so electronics can be kept on at all times.

Thanks; this is helpful! I haven't run into any issues when flying (yet). I use a small, clear carry-on bag for my supplies, with a note from my doctor just to avoid problems.

I don't have a pump or CGM, but I do fly for business and vacations several times a year.  I don't declare anything.  I have my stuff in my carry on and just put it on through the XRay machine.  I've never had a problem.

Supposedly I can carry juice too, but I've given up on that.  At some airports they'll let you in with it if you tell them you diabetic.  In others they won't let you know matter what.  Houston comes to mind.

I recently flew from O'Hare to Anchorage and back and had the TSA medical alert card that you can find on their website with me. When I handed it to the first TSA person, they looked at me like I was stupid and said "I don't need this" and gave it back to me. So I gave it to the girl who was doing the screenings and she immediately freaked out when she read "insulin dependent diabetes" (I use pens, not a pump, but I figured the more specific, the better!). After I explained that I didn't have a pump, everything was fine.

On the way back at the Anchorage checkpoint, one of the workers was rudely rearranging my tote of my belongings and shut my diabetic supplies bag saying "don't leave that open, stuff could fall out" (when I'm preeeeeetty sure it says "diabetic supplies are subject to additional screening.") It was just kind of a weird and off-putting experience, overall.