Type 1 and Cancer

Hi friends -

I have a favor to ask.

A dear friend of mine, who has type 1 diabetes, was very recently diagnosed with b-r-e-a-s-t cancer. (Sorry, the filter won't accept that word - hopefully it takes my hyphenated version.) She is trying to find information about anyone who has gone through both  - does anyone in our community have a direction to point her?

(Word on the street is that she's opening an account here at Juvenation AS I SPEAK, so let me be the first to welcome you to our awesome community, Barb!!)

Kim

HERE I AM!  Thanks Kim for the welcome AND for setting up a forum thread for me.

I was diagnosed with LADA (T1) Diabetes in June of 2009.  I finally feel that I'm getting the hang of being my own pancreas.  :)

This last week, I was diagnosed with Stage 2b Invasive Ductile Carcinoma.  I was hoping others would have some insight on how to manage BG with chemo/radiation and what to expect from chemo, as far as diabetes management.

Thanks in advance for your help!  There's one thing I learned a long time ago. . we were never meant to get through life alone!

Barb (BABSSOUP)

Welcome Barb. I'm so sorry about your news. ): You'd think one illness is enough, right!

OK, this is very far removed but my husband's boss's childhood friend has had T1 since the '60s. She's gone through chemo twice for ovarian cancer. When I talked to her, she said she'd cut her basals during times she wasn't eating much, a lot like you'd do for surgery. She said her endo was wonderful about communicating with her oncologists. She basically took things day by day. I wish I remembered more of what she told me now...

Hopefully you'll find someone on here with more advice. But, I mostly wanted to let you know I'm sending you healing vibes!

That is NOT a vulgar word. Crazy. 

yay for barb! you are my hero, just so you know! :) 

Dear Barb,

I have no perals of wisdom to part on you. I just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. We were just diagnosed about two weeks ago and just reeling from our Type 1, so I can't even imagine what you are going through. HUGS and Prayers for you.

Babs, I heart you. Just sayin' :o)

I have no personal experience to offer from, except that we T1s are proof that it is possible to find innovative ways to adapt and cope and compensate when our bodies are not doing what they're supposed to be doing for us.  But I'm so sorry that you're going through it and I'm hoping for the best for you and will keep you in my thoughts.

John

PS:  I am in agreement that - of all places, on a site where we're supposed to be talking honestly about human health - it is extremely ridiculous for that word to be censored.