Type 1 Diabetes: Statistics

Anyone know the rate of type 1 diabetes? IE 'blank out of blank number of people are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes'?

Alyssa,

According to the information I found on the JDRF website:

The Scope of Diabetes

Nearly 24 million Americans have diabetes (7.8 percent of the population):
     Diagnosed: 17.9 million
     Undiagnosed: 5.7 million

As many as 3 million Americans may have type 1 diabetes.

Now, this just relates to U.S. rates of dx - but... I guess we can infer that .975 percent of the population are T1's...  I'll be really interested to see if anyone has better numbers!

Cheers!

A-D

Type 1 diabetes: your child's risk

In general, if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your child getting diabetes are 1 in 17.  If you are a woman with type 1 diabetes and your child was born before you were 25, your child's risk is 1 in 25; if your child was born after you turned 25, your child's risk is 1 in 100.

Your child's risk is doubled if you developed diabetes before age 11.  If both you and your partner have type 1 diabetes, the risk is between 1 in 10 and 1 in 4.

There is an exception to these numbers.  About 1 in every 7 people with type 1 diabetes has a condition called type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome.

In addition to having diabetes, these people also have thyroid disease and a poorly working adrenal gland.  Some also have other immune system disorders. If you have this syndrome, your child's risk of getting the syndrome including type 1 diabetes is 1 in 2.

Researchers are learning how to predict a person's odds of getting diabetes.  For example, most whites with type 1 diabetes have genes called HLA-DR3 or HLA-DR4.

If you and your child are white and share these genes, your child's risk is higher.  (Suspect genes in other ethnic groups are less well studied. The HLA-DR7 gene may put African Americans at risk, and the HLA-DR9 gene may put Japanese at risk.)

Other tests can also make your child's risk clearer.  A special test that tells how the body responds to glucose can tell which school-aged children are most at risk.

Another more expensive test can be done for children who have siblings with type 1 diabetes.  This test measures antibodies to insulin, to islet cells in the pancreas, or to an enzyme called glutamic acid decarboxylase.  High levels can indicate that a child has a higher risk of developing type 1 diabetes.

http://www.diabetes.org/genetics.jsp

Hope this helps!

We were told that in Canada the odds are 1 in 800 people.  If you have a sibling or parent with T1, your odds are 1 in 80.

At the Young Voices event, they said that 90% of all T1's  do not have a fmaily history of Diabetes..... I know there is no history in my family.... I guess I'm the black sheep LOL!

me too! i'm the first in my family that we know of.

Me too. there is no family history of t1 in my family at all.

There's no history of Type 1 diabetes in my family either, but my sister had another autoimmune disease, which she had surgery for and is now in remission from.

I kind of wonder now though... I guess one of my great uncles had some serious problems with diabetes later in life. But, other than him, we don't really have a history of Type 2 diabetes in my family either. I wonder if he was misdiagnosed, and actually developed Type 1 at a later age? (I think somebody mentioned on another thread that it's known as LADA?) Considering that I was 33 myself when diagnosed...

Hey James I'm just curios where you heard the stat 1 in 80? Are you saying If I (T1) had a child the odds would be 1/80 that it gets T1?

Yes, that's what I understand from our clinic, there's a 10x factor for 1st degree relations.

It's still pretty good odds to not get diabetes, and I would never suggest that anyone that has T1 avoids having kids or that anyone with a T1 child stops having kids for that reason.

In fact, if you have a child who does not develop Type 1 then their kids are not 1st degree...so they're back to the 1 in 800 odds.

Cheers,

I can't remember where, but I read an article that said T1 is hardly hereditery, but you are more likely to be diagnosed with it from a traumatic event than having it passed down to you.  Which, makes sense in my case b/c there is no history of diabetes in my family and yet I was diagnosed at age 17 after my parents moved me from the Bay Area of CA to a small town in Louisiana where I was the only Asian in my highschool and no one knew if I was "black", "white", or "mixed" (seriously).  So, you can imagine the trauma I went through coming from such a diverse city to an ignorant town.