Vegas and drinking!

I am going to Vegas for March-madness in three weeks!! I had bought my ticket before I was diagnosed with type 1. So I am going, but wondering how  I am going to get along with drinking while I am out there. I know I should not drink to much but it is Vegas and makes it kind of hard when I will be in a sports book for 12 hours each day. Can anyone tell me anyways to deal with this other then I should not drink! haha

eat food. alcohol causes hypoglycemia.

your liver thinks alcohol is poison, so it stops everything (including producing glucose) to breakdown the alcohol. because no glucose is being produced, your blood sugars will drop. if you eat food, you can help prevent this because you will have a little glucose in your system already.

C is right as usual, but a couple of additional notes:

if the alcohol is beer, the metabloization is quite different.  Beer has many more available carbs than wine or hard liquor.  Plus stay lcear of mixed drinks which usually have carbs unless it's just Scotch and soda water.

It can be tough in the situation that you'll be in, but the best advice is to be moderate (which we should all always be on everything).  Wine is better than any other alcohol and supplemented with food, including enough carbs.  In addition, be careful of the morning after even if you feel fine at night.  If you take in too much wine or hard liquor, the effect on your bllod sugar may not be evident until the middle of the night  or inthe morningwhen you might get hit with hypoglycemia.

Finally, we Type 1s metabolize things much more slowly than normal folk.  So we keep the alcohol in our bodies for a longer period of time, and its metabolic effect stays with us considerably longer.

Good luck!  You can still enjoy!! 

On other suggestion - drink lots of water and soda water to dilute the alcoholic effect and keep your self well-hydrated!!  ASll this is probably going to be even tougher if you are connecte to a contending team!

The key to anything is moderation. As Frank pointed out there are certain drinks to avoid. I for one would strongly suggest not drinking many Long Island Iced Teas or Amaretto Sour's. Those can send sugar's spiking. Even something as simple as a Gin and Tonic can do it based upon the amount of tonic used. It is all within certain level's that we can and should drink. I would suggest also looking at other options to drink. If you are into beer, think maybe light beer, or go with my favorite club soda with Lime or Lemon.

In the end though, if you drink or don't drink much. Train yourself to test. In this case I would test more often so you are aware of your sugar levels. I take it you are traveling with friends on this trip? Make sure your friends keep an eye on you. Hypoglycemia can be confused for being drunk. Not that this is meant to scare you, but have your friends if you are traveling with them keep an eye on you. If you are acting strange or possibly drunk have them try to convince you to test. Otherwise, go out and enjoy yourself. Everything within moderation makes all the difference.

Wow!  Where was this website when I was learning to drink?  I never got info this good from any doctor.  Especially considering that you're newly diagnosed, I agree that you should test frequently.  I would also teach your friends how to use glucagon.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  Also, make sure your hotel room is well stocked (before you go out) in case you need something in the middle of the night or the next morning.  I've found that sometimes a hangover for me means that I'm repeatedly going low the next day so you'll probably want to test a lot then also.  If you accidentally drink a little more than intended you should probably consider taking the next day off.

If you were just diagnosed, i honestly wouldnt chance it. I have ended up in the hospital twice from too much alcohol and not monitoring, etc. and trust me, its NOT fun, especially if you werent in your home town. I went to Vegas 2 years ago and i didnt drink at all. You CAN have fun without drinking. if your friends dont get that and pressure you, not true friends. and lets face it, vegas is crazy busy, wild. You will slack on testing, eating etc. It happens, I know from alot of experience! If you still think your going to drink, stick with simple drinks, vodka water, vodka diet pop, no sweet shots, no cocktails.. ..on the bonus.. with the water and diet pop being your base.. youll save on calories! haha

Thanks to all of you, I am leaving in two days going out on St. Patrick's day! Witch is my birthday and then march madness begins! Thanks for all the suggestion on what to drink, I have told all my friends to keep on me about checking my levels. Wish me luck!! haha

When I bartended back in the day,  I had many scary situations with a man in his early thirty's with Type 1.  I always refused to serve him in a gentle manner and my job was on the line for my concern for him.  In elementary school I had a close friend with T1 and with close observation of her I knew that serving this young man would be a participating in his demise.  This is why.  He obviously did not have control over his T1 and had self destructive behavior.  He was a regular and every time he came in with his "friends" he would end up in a seizure and and ambulance would take him to the hospital.  THEN would return a couple hours later and resume drinking.  He HATED me b/c I refused to serve him.  I hope one day, there is a bartender out there like me to care enough about my son and refuse him alcohol.  I hope you have friends that REALLY know about T1.  B/C ur BS will spike then drop.  Let us know how y'all managed this.  Of course you need to let off steam! Just make sure you have a devoted posse!

I made it back in one piece!! I had the best time of my life and it was not a problem drinking, eating, and regularly testing was not a problem. The time change was the hardest part to get use to. Thanks again for all of your thoughts, I had many Jack and Diets that worked out just fine! Thanks!!

I've seen posts before about drinking causing your blood sugar to drop. I have had my times drinking, and have been drunk a few times in my life (college will do that to you). I never once had a problem with my blood sugar dropping though. I actually had the opposite happen. Mostly in the early mornings probably from the sugar in the beer causing my blood sugar to spike.  I have had Type 1 now for over 25 years. The trick I think is not drinking anything high in sugar like Long Island, or a Mai Tai or something.  Beer is usually pretty safe (in moderation), and any clear liquor with a diet drink or club soda.  Eat some sort of pretzels, or maybe have some extra lime in a drink.

D

[quote user="movy"]

When I bartended back in the day,  I had many scary situations with a man in his early thirty's with Type 1.  I always refused to serve him in a gentle manner and my job was on the line for my concern for him.  In elementary school I had a close friend with T1 and with close observation of her I knew that serving this young man would be a participating in his demise.  This is why.  He obviously did not have control over his T1 and had self destructive behavior.  He was a regular and every time he came in with his "friends" he would end up in a seizure and and ambulance would take him to the hospital.  THEN would return a couple hours later and resume drinking.  He HATED me b/c I refused to serve him.  I hope one day, there is a bartender out there like me to care enough about my son and refuse him alcohol.  I hope you have friends that REALLY know about T1.  B/C ur BS will spike then drop.  Let us know how y'all managed this.  Of course you need to let off steam! Just make sure you have a devoted posse!

[/quote]

While in that situation, I agree he should not be drinking..if a bartender EVER refused to serve me due to knowing i had diabetes & thinking they know how good or bad my control is, you can be damn sure me and my friends would -never- go to that bar/restaurant/lounge again and I would complain to the manager. I would also write a letter to the newspaper, and not hold back in telling people about that experience.

As a bartender, you have a right not to serve people due to being intoxicated, but not due to your own personal opinion of how controlled their condition is.

drinking *should* make your BGs drop because it inhibits gluconeogenesis (the creation of glucose by the liver). because your liver is no longer producing sugar, your blood sugars will drop (hence, the reason you pass out if you have too much). according to all the science out there, this is what should happen.

however, like you, my BGs always shot into the billions when i had alcohol. i metabolize stuff weird.