Very active, hate the guardian sensor

Hello! A little background- I’ve had t1d for 16 years and I am about to turn 25. I am a level 1 kravist (working on level 2 material now) and I absolutely love it. In general, i’ve become a much more active person in recent years as a way to deal with the depressive episodes I experience while trying to cope with this disease. In the past year, I have updated my old minimed pump to the 670g and am now using the newest guardian 3 sensor. I absolutely HATE it, but I am trying to adapt to how it works. One problem I am having is that I think my sensor gets in the way of how active I truly want to be. The adhesive is better with this sensor for sure, but it still is in the way, and I’ve read that the dreaded “sensor updating, this could take up to 3 hours” alert can be caused by sweat loosening the adhesive and causing the sensor to come loose. This alert is extremely frustrating for me and almost always means I will need a new sensor- super inconvenient because I am always working and on the go - or exercising!
I’ve also read that some people experience better results putting the sensor in their upper thigh - I am wondering if they mean on the side of the leg? And if so, do you think this gets in the way of being active? I am planning on trying it in my thigh this week to see if it helps but worry that my krav training will be uncomfortable with it there.
This is quite a long post. I am just fed up with my year-long battle with this stupid sensor. Before I had it, my A1Cs were in the 6-7 range and now they never are. unfortunately my current insurance will not cover any other system at this time. Any suggestions/explanations would be very helpful!

Hi @khelgeson95. I use Dexcom, not Guardian, but sometimes insurances will authorize another product not in their preferred formulary if your doctor can provide sufficient documentation. I imagine allergic reactions or sensitivities would be the most common reasons, but if your numbers are worse than they were before that might help make a case. Wishing you the best.

1 Like

@khelgeson95 Hi Kirstin and welcome to the TypeOneNation Forum!

I can understand your frustration when you try improving your diabetes management by employing “latest & greatest” technologies only to find other difficulties cropping up. I’ve spoken with people using the Guardian 3 sensor, some who have had complaints like yours and others who love it, but I don’t use it so I can’t share my opinion.

I’m NOT into Krav or Krav Magna stuff but I continue to be quite active in other ways, most outdoors in the Florida heat with 85%+ humidity which has had virtually no ill-effect on my Dexcom sensors - G5 and now G6. When I’m going to be in activities that could dislodge my sensor [or infusion set on arm] I cover the device with a snug-fitting tube bandage or compression-stocking from which I’ve cut-off the foot. The cloth does not interfere with signal transmission and has the added benefit of absorbing perspiration that may interfere with adhesion and values; I’ve never had a sensor fall-off prematurely. The only ‘problem’ I’ve noticed is signal-loss between my G6 and Tandem pump when I’ve been involved in what for me is heavy construction work even though my pump and sensor are within a half foot of each-other - very strange.

The new technologies are really great [I just began using Control IQ] but for someone like you, young and with several years managing well, you may find that you can achieve “better numbers”, if that is what is important for you, managing with a digital-BGM and injections; I know for me, my HbA1c was lower for many years before I began using a pump than it is now - I now range between 6.4% and 6.2%.

I have thought of going back to injections just to get back in control as well! My endocrinologist isn’t super open to that idea, but when it comes down to MY health and lifestyle, I’d rather make the decisions. A type 1 friend of mine goes back and forth between the pump and injections just to get a break from the pump every once in a while and she manages to stay in control. I could use a break!
The bandage/compression stocking idea sounds good too! I’ll definitely give that a shot. It would definitely help things feel more snug and protected.

What I didn’t say earlier, Kirstin @khelgeson95 that manual injections while using a CGM has proven really good if one is willing to work VERY diligently and is willing to take many injections; I changed to a pump many years ago after 47 years of injections primarily because I wanted to reduce the number of needle-sticks.