Ways to reduce the risk?

Hi,
My son is 6 months old (already!) and is doing great. I was so scared all throughout the pregnancy, and am so thankful that he’s healthy.
I’ve done really well with not worrying endlessly about passing on D, until this week. I was researching online about when to start solids and what to give and came across an article about diabetes. Then, it was a bit of a downward spiral with me reading about all kinds of possible “triggers” for diabetes (vaccines, timing of solids, viruses, etc). I don’t want to live in fear of him developing it and I don’t want to try to make him live in a bubble. But, are there things that you do to try to reduce the chance of your child getting it?

The only scientifically proven thing to reduce the risk of diabetes in the child of a T1 mom is breastfeeding. Yes, there are theories about other things, but that’s the only one that’s been scientifically studied enough to show a statistical impact.

With T1, I know there’s really nothing else I can do to impact the overall likelihood that my 4-year-old son will get T1, so I just be the best parent I can be…but we are already working on being healthy, exercising and getting good nutrition to hopefully help him not develop T2 as he ages.

I think about the same things as you all of the time as well. I don’t research it because it makes me so paranoid. But, I keep him away from sweets and white starches. When he was six months old i started making all of his food in purée form from organic foods. NOw he’s 22 months and I still I feed him whole nutritious foods. Organic milk, Veggies, fruits, eggs, chicken etc . I have no idea if it will prevent his risk of getting diabetes but it eases my mind a bit. At least I know I am trying.

I do give him ice cream and let him have cake when it’s a birthday. I don’t want to limit him to everything because of my paranaoia. I do however check his blood sugar a couple of hours after to see where he’s at after eating it. I don’t know why I do that to myself. I honestly can’t stop thinking about if his blood sugar raised until I check it.

Anyway, you aren’t alone. We are in it together! Ha

The only thing that’s been scientifically proven is for the T1 mom to breastfeed her child. There are certainly other theories floating around, but none that have been proven by science, so I suggest you do what you feel comfortable with.

With our first living son (now 4), I breastfed until 13 months old, started solids at 6mo, and didn’t do anything super special, other than feeding him healthy foods. And, since there’s not that much control that we have to avoid T1, so we’ve taken the approach of just teaching him to have fun playing, and making sure that he’s eating more “always” foods (fruit, protein, veggies, healthier carbs) than he eats “sometimes” foods (sweets, treats, juice, etc.)

I think it is good to take the approach of not researching. It made me crazy looking at all of the studies.
As for breastfeeding, I have tried my best with that! This whole time, I’ve had to supplement because I’ve never produced enough, but I figure some breastmilk is better than none.
I’m also making his food and buying organic.
Did you give your kids all of the vaccines? Not trying to start some vaccine debate, just wondering if D influenced your decision on that. My son has had everything so far.
I figured I’d worry about this at some point. I wish there was a way not to, but I’m sure it will always be in the back of my mind, at the very least.
It helps to know that I’m not alone, so thanks for the replies!

I agree- I think the best approach is to not research because reading all of the studies made me crazy. It’s hard, though, because I also want to be informed.
As for breastfeeding, I’ve tried my best! I’ve had to supplement because I’ve never produced enough, but I figure some breastmilk is better than none.
I’m making his food and buying organic in case it makes a difference.
Did you give your kids all of the vaccines? I’m not trying to start a vaccine debate, but wondering if D influenced your decision on that. My son has had everything so far.
I knew I would worry about this at some point. It’s almost impossible not to. It does help to know I’m not alone, so thanks for your replies!

I didn’t mean to have 2 posts that are pretty much the same! First one wasn’t showing up, so I wrote it again and submitted it…