Weight Gain?

I thought I was the only one not being able to lose weight!  I feel like I have to eat next to nothing in order to lose SOME weight.  So so frustrating.  Even with exercise, yes it helped my sugars, but my waistline.  But I have read that slightly overweight diabetes live longer than thinner diabetics.  Not sure if there's much truth to that, but what the heck I'll go with that!  haha

I'm gaining weight (4 or 5 pounds) just on two and a half months of INJECTIONS, even though I'm sure I'm eating less than I was before diagnosis (I was starving all the time back then).  I've always loved carbs, and now my body can actually use and store them again.  (Yay for using, boo for storing!)

I'm going on the pump soon, and I know I'll have to be careful not to eat too much.  But I hope it may actually help me maintain or lose weight.  I've hardly excercised at all since starting injections because of lows, but I may be able to figure out an appropriate alternative basal rate to make it safer on the pump.  And also, maybe more precise dosing will let me avoid the lows and the extra sugar needed to treat them.

I hope.

I've gained about 10 pounds since going on the pump 6 months ago. I think it's easier to gain weight and lose weight being a diabetic ): it's no bueno.

I've gained sooo much weight in the past years since being diagnosed.  It's sooo frustrating.  I started pumping rather quickly after diagnosis.  I also can't lose the weight.  I'll watch what I eat and exercise and still nothing.  Even more frustrating is when I exercise and I end up going low so I have to eat which kind of makes the whole exercising thing pointless.

[quote user="Amy Martins"]

I've gained sooo much weight in the past years since being diagnosed.  It's sooo frustrating.  I started pumping rather quickly after diagnosis.  I also can't lose the weight.  I'll watch what I eat and exercise and still nothing.  Even more frustrating is when I exercise and I end up going low so I have to eat which kind of makes the whole exercising thing pointless.

[/quote]

We share the same frustrations.  :)  It takes so much "work" before I can even start working out, and then there's the "work" afterwards... some days it doesn't seem worth it.  I've had a lot of those days lately.

Hm.  I actually lost weight after starting the pump.  :o

[quote user="Kim"]

[quote user="Amy Martins"]

[/quote]

We share the same frustrations.  :)  It takes so much "work" before I can even start working out, and then there's the "work" afterwards... some days it doesn't seem worth it.  I've had a lot of those days lately.

[/quote]

Yeah lately I've just chosen not to even bother putting in the "work" to workout cause I've just felt that its not worth it.  I should really try again but I found it hard to get the momentum to even start to try.

I can totally relate to all your posts about weight gain.  Even when I was really on plan with Weight Watchers, I'd lose weight but at a glacial pace, so I gave up.  And exercising has always been a challenge because I fear of going low!  So SO frustrating.  :( 

It is such a hassle! I walk my dogs four miles in the morning and I need to make sure I get a snack before then, but not too big or too small or I'll get high or low and then I go to the gym and it's the same balancing act all over again. Actually, with more intense exercise sometimes my blood sugar will go too high. I cannot lose a pound to save my life when my A1C is good- everyday I work out for 3 hours and only eat when I'm low or going to exercise. It is so frustrating and unfair because I feel like if I was a normal person, I would be in incredible shape by now! 

I've gained weight in the last year since i've been on the pump, but I wouldn't say it's necessarly because of the pump.

When I first got started with my pump, that was one of my 1st questions about the pump... Will you make you gain weight? The doctors answer was YES! He told me that when I got better control on my diabetes and my readings were starting to look better, that I would feel better and think I could eat anything that I wanted as long as my readings were better. But for me, I don't think my weight gain has anything to do with my pump. Mine was simply, because I started a shot about 2 years ago called Depo Provera (birth control) so I blame my weight gain on the birth control.

I gained weight once I got on the pump because it was so easy to eat again! And this last year, I have also lost 15 lbs (3 dress sizes) while on the pump. It can be a little trickier to get in shape as a Type 1 diabetic (avoiding lows, having to adjust basals when weight is lost) but the basic principals of eating well, exercising hard, and getting adequate sleep all work.

The benefits (besides going down 3 clothing sizes) include better blood sugar, cholesterol and blood pressure numbers, and increased strength & energy.

Much like how I feel about pumping vs. shots, I'll never go back to my pre-fit self. I'm much too important to not put myself first.

so tell us how did you lose the weight? what diet did you follow,and what was your exercise regime - any other special tips that you could share with us??

I had also gained weight over the past 15 or so years.  Then again, I am now in my 40's, so I think that's to be expected...  I started pumping after 34 years with T1D, about 2 years ago.  somehow, I have lost between 10 and 15 lbs. in the last year...  and I don't know how!  I do like to eat healthy, although I have some nasty habits too!

[quote user="Nads"]I have lost between 10 and 15 lbs. in the last year...  and I don't know how![/quote]

It's a good thing you can't get type 1 TWICE, because this almost exactly what I was saying to people before I was diagnosed a few months ago!  "I've been losing weight, but I don't know why since, though I'm fairly healthy, I eat a lot!"  Yeahhhhhh, turned out it was because my body couldn't use or store most of the carbs I was eating!  Boooooo!

So.....  maybe I am getting it twice???  Do we have TWO pancreas' that no one told us about?!?  Aggghhh!!!  LOL

I think in my case, it also has a bit to do with my husband's new job...  he started a few months ago.  I used to make full dinners for both of us but now he works evenings and I'm on my own for dinner, so I eat a lot more vegetables.  As an example, last night, I had spaghetti squash with pesto, green pepper, black olives and sun-dried tomatoes.  It was awesome, but not something I would have prepared for my "meat-and-potatoes" man!

I also lost weight when I went on the pump. but it wasn't too noticeable. probably like 3-4 lbs or so. The reason I lost was because I wasn't treating lows anymore and consuming all those extra calories which probably made it harder for me to loose. Also, when I was on lantus, I always had to eat something before bed. Now, I'm super conscious about drinking lots and lots of water (I live in AZ so thats no suprise), always have breakfast, and never eat past 8pm (usually..weekends vary since I am in my 20s).  b-12 shots help too but I've been lazy recently and hate giving them to myself. And I can't convince my boyfriend to help me. loool.