This is the thread I've been waiting for :) Thanks!
OK, here it is:
Current weight: 230
Target weight: 170-ish (I'm 5'9, 35 years young)
1st goal: To lose 20 lbs. I figure if I give myself smaller realistic goals, the bigger goal doesn't seem as high of a mountain to climb.
Things I need to change in order to accomplish goal:
1) Eat on a regular schedule. I usually miss breakfast, eat a small lunch, snack throughout the afternoon, medium-sized dinner, and snack at night. I walk by food and I usually want it.
2) Drink more water. My body is full of diet carbonated beverages. It's rare that I drink anything else. That needs to change.
3) Move. I need to get my blood pumping. I'm mostly in front of a computer all day and do not take the time to do any kind of aerobic or strength conditioning at all. I am purchasing a rowing/biking machine soon. I love both of those activities and would feel good about doing them, instead of like I HAVE to do them.
4) Mindset. I can defeat myself very easily with a few negative thoughts. I was raised around that kind of thinking and now I am aware of it.
5) Keep a food journal. If I write down my food intake, I feel like I can become aware of exactly how much (and how bad) I am eating.
6) Set goals. I have never been motivated to accomplish much of anything. I have a hard time gaining the momentum it takes to keep the ball rolling in pretty much anything I do. Now's the time for change.
Thanks for the great post, and I will keep posting with my results, no matter my results. I will be truthful with my health and all of you.