What can happen if one has a meal with a preprandial bs of 255?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever tried that? What can happen?

Well, actually I've done it myself and my bs remained 255-270 throughout the three hours, no spike happened despite the 45 g carbs i had eaten. But still I'm scared to do it again.

I eat all the time, even if my bg is 20mmol/L (360). I just take a correction + the amount I need to cover the meal. I usually see my bg drop or at least is moving downwards at the 2hour mark still if I've carb counted right.

[quote user="Batts"]

I eat all the time, even if my bg is 20mmol/L (360). I just take a correction + the amount I need to cover the meal. I usually see my bg drop or at least is moving downwards at the 2hour mark still if I've carb counted right.

[/quote]Thank you very much.

In a perfect world you'd wait until your blood sugar was a bit lower to eat.  But in real life I take insulin to correct the high and to cover the food.  If I'm home or somewhere where I can choose a lower carb meal, I do that so the high isn't so bad.

I know some (many?) adult T1s won't eat with a BG over 200 (or whatever the top of their target range is) and some parents who won't allow their children to eat if BG is above 200. However, I find this is unrealistic with my 5 yr old son and usually test an hour later (just to make sure it is not a problem with his pump) and even with eating, he is usually coming down. I usually only do this if it happens at mealtimes - if it is just a snack, then I serve a free food.

That said, I will always bolus the correction and at least some of the insulin for the carbs I expect him to eat before he starts eating. I try to limit the carbs as well, for instance by serving water instead of milk or juice.

The risk is that BG continues to go up - potentially leading to ketones or otherwise feeling yucky. Also, if it is actually a problem with his pump, the the risk is that he won't get insulin for the correction or meal bolus either further compounding the problem.

I'm jealous -- I almost always go up if I eat so soon when I'm high, even if I've corrected. But, I agree, sometimes in real life, you have 30 min for lunch and you just gotta eat! If I have time, I wait 30 min or eat protein while I wait...

I do what some of the others have said....I just take insulin to correct the high blood sugar along with insulin to cover whatever meal I'm eating and it usually evens my blood sugars out just fine

I always have somewhat of a spike within the first hour after a meal. If I am high before the meal then the spike will make me go even higher during that hour. If I was 250 before the meal I would expect to be 300 or higher one hour later.That is not good even though the insulin starts bring my BG down at that point. I think my problem is possibly due to my being older (71) and the insulin takes effect more slowly.

I would take a correction and test every half hour until my BG is below 150 or so before eating and taking my meal bolus. If I am over 120 at the time I normally eat, I postpone my meal and take a small correction first. If I am eating out, I test and correct in the car, then take my meal bolus just before my first bite.

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

I think my problem is possibly due to my being older (71) and the insulin takes effect more slowly.

[/quote]

The exact same thing happens to me. You clearly have the physiology of a 33 year old. (;

I was told to always eat the meals and correct.

Katey :D

I eat and correct, but I try to eat slower carbs first, and I don't drink/eat regular soda or slushies or anything like that with a lot of fast sugars until later. I don't have those things very often anyways, but during holidays or on vacation candy, desert and virgin pina coladas are on the menu, lol.