What do you do with a teen when out with friends

This last Monday, our teen daughter, Dani went with a friend and family to the beach. She did not cover anything she ate (however keeps telling us did not eat that much) and was 500plus at 9pm that night when she tested.

She has since changed her site, and her numbers have moved from the normal range to high on and off over the last couple of days. last night she was within normal range, but work up at 310. The doctor's have had us make a chance to the basal rate for during the late night hours.

Anyone one else dealing with a teen who gets with friends and seems to forget to test and/or cover Cards/food?? what things do you do to change this habit ?

We are going to limit her activities until she gets back in line. (prior to this last week, she was doing good for some time).

You are probably dealing with three things here.

1. She is leaving her late honeymoon phase.
  2. She is experiencing hormonal fluctuation
  3. She is a teen

A very important thing that is probably happening is that she is finally leaving her late honeymoon phase. Lots of us have a long term honeymoon that lasts up to 3 years. If she has been diabetic for 2 years then and she is leaving a longer phase, her insulin needs will rise.

Read Mad Evans's post. He give a classical example of this transition. On the 1st page of the thread he talks about how low his insulin needs are. On the 3rd he shares with us how his insulin needs have changed now that he left his honeymoon. http://juvenation.org/forums/t/455.aspx?PageIndex=3

Has she started menstruating? Hormonal changes will swing her insulin needs up and down. Two days before I menstruate my basal insulin needs rise 40%! Then lower them back the morning my period starts. This can vary, other times my needs will drop by 40% if I choose to exercise heavily the week before my period.

While her behavior is pretty normal for a young girl diabetic, there is no need to limit her until she gets back in line. The fact is that in the past she probably was able to skip insulin doses without these highs! You probably never knew. And really it didn't mater. But it does now, and that is something that you should talk with her about and help her come to terms with. Also talk with her about how her body needs the amount of insulin that it needs to function. This amount will rise, it will drop. Tell her that her numbers are not a measure of who she is or how good she is- the numbers are there to measure her needs.

You and her doctor need to help her find a new dose knowing  these things I listed above.

Also a good reminder for her to repeat is "Food in mouth pump in hand."

(I posted this elsewhere, but it should be helpful for other parents of type one kids. So I am posting it here too)

Haven't dealt with this as far as my child goes, she's only 4 but I am also Type 1 and remember the days of not wanting to deal with it. I can tell you this much, I wasn't going to listen to my parents regardless of what they did, said or threatened to do. There were times i just wanted to be a teenager, not the diabetic girl in the group. All i can tell you is try your best to keep the lines of communication open and let her know that her behavior may have consequences later on in life. Don't lecture, just remind her. I truly believe all diabetic teenagers go through some phase like this but it does get better.

And her numbers could be changing due to hormones. I know mine do and I have to set a different pattern on my pump for those times in order to keep my sugars normal. She may not want to talk about that topic at her age but it is certainly something to think about.

thank you :-)

Thank you, every suggestion and bit of imformation helps

I know it hasn't been very long, but how is Dani and you doing?

Hello Stilledlife,

I wanted to thank you for your perfectly articulated words, "Tell her that her numbers are not a measure of who she is or how good she is- the numbers are there to measure her needs."  This is what I want my daughter to believe when I ask about her blood sugar. I am not judging her.  I want her to feel supported not defensive.  I will use this sentence. Pray she will hear it and recieve it.

Thanks again,

Michelle

Michelle,

It is a hard thing for many of us women and girls to believe. Because girls tend to assimilate diabetes into their identity it is very easy for us to measure our self worth according to these numbers. I know I still do sometimes.

Changing this thought process is hard for us, but it is possible, and really does help me feel better.

Don't let the numbers be a score card. The numbers tell what the body needs, it is a code to be translated and figured out, it is do able.

all my love,

Meredith