What does it mean?

what does it mean when her sugars are high and no keytones?

is it because of her playing that it goes high

My son was diagnosed 10 months ago at his 3rd birthday.  His sugars can often go high which we're still trying to figure out.  Often it's that we haven't exactly matched how much insulin he needs for how many carbs he's eaten.  And some foods make the sugars go higher more quickly than others.  As long as the sugar hasn't been high for too long without insulin you may not see ketones.  My son's sugars were recently really high because of a growth spurt (of course it's hard to know that is what's causing it at the time).  I've read too that adrenaline will cause sugars to go up.  Normally exercise makes sugars go down, however competitive sports (and perhaps a child being very excited) could do the same.  I just read a book called Think Like a Pancreas and found it really helpful for understanding how the body works and how to better control the blood sugars.  Hope this helps a little.  All the best to you and your family.  Janet

There are a million and one variables that can make your daughters sugars go high.  Excitement can raise her sugars.  A fatty dinner can raise sugars, and keep her there for hours there after.  Illness, stress, and miscounting carbs can too.  Heck, even the weather can make her blood sugars go wonky!  She will go through phases where her insulin needs will immediatly go higher, becuase of a growth spirt or something.  When it is time to change, it usually comes quickly.  If your child is getting her insulin, and has enough, it can keep the ketones at bay.  It is always good to check for ketones when her sugar is high for a few checks in a row.  If she does have ketones then she may be a bit insulin resistant and require an increased amount until the ketones go away.   Urine ketone strips will tell you what the ketones were an hour or two before.  Not the most reliable.  If you can get blood ketones strips and meter it will give you a more accurate account of what is going on.

I hope I'm not being too obvious...I see you about a month into all of this and I want to help as much as I can.  I'm new to Juvenation, but not with diabetes.  I'm here if you have any questions, and I'm sure everyone else here will help too.  :)

My daughter was diagnosed 6-10.  She is 7 yo.  we have found that her blodd sugars drop like a rock after play, exersize.  I've not heard of activity making numbers go higher.  I know we are struggling now with getting my daughters numbers under control because she has an ear infection.  I have been told if tehre is an infection the body works double time so to speack and in turns raises teh blood sugars.  Is she fighting a cold???

formyizzy

Meri's explanation was excellent and I just wanted to chime in on a few points.

I assume your daughter is on injections - so as long as she has her Lantus (or Levemir) working, or endo said that is usually enough 'background' insulin to prevent ketones. We were only advised to check for ketones if our son tested high (300+), we corrected and then three hours later he was still over 300. If you correct and the BG comes down 2-3 hrs later, then the risk for developing ketones is low. She may be going high because her insulin to carb ratio is not enough or she ate something fatty that prevented the carbs from being digested right away and spikes the BG after the insulin is used up. I would just work with your clinic if this continues to happen regularly and take good notes on what she ate for 4-6 hrs before hand when you do see them.

Ketones in an of themselves are not harmful, but if they are present, then that is an indication that other processes in the body are not working as they should and they body is trying to right itself. If the body doesn't get that worked out and continues producing ketones, then they start to affect the pH of the blood and you get ketoacidosis - which is very dangerous. So that is why you do need to check for them if BG is high and stays high even if you are correcting.