What Happens to Us?

This may or may not be far fetched to some......

This country is crazy enough as it is. There are tons of loons around and an abundance of situations the the United States is involved with thats puts us all in jeopardy.

Ok so heres a situation. Suppose we get bombed by some crazed country or some suicide bomber blows himself up or some form of "racial riot" sets off and the country goes in to chaos. Say a huge riot sets off and martial law is declared all over and everyone is left to fend for themselves. We cant say it wont happen because we never know what tomorrow brings. Riots can happen over the stupidest things. Most are contained to an area as with mass chaos. But what if it happened all over and things went out of control.

What happens to us? Lets say the country is in such a chaos and there is no bouncing back any time soon. And violence continues to carry on and everything gets shut down because nothing can operate properly with safety. Stores cant be open because of looting. Hospitals are over flowed with injuries and such.

What happens to us Diabetics when our insulin begins to run out. And we cant get test strips to even monitor ourselves. What happens then? We cant go to a hospital that is over flowing with the injured that require the same attention that we need. When our supply runs out where do we turn to?

It may be a far fetched situation...but what if....? Anything can happen now a days....

If martial law is declared, the gov't would take over and oversee the administration of drugs.  If nobody is in control and production stops, than everyone that is dependant upon medication would die after the supply is exhausted.

[quote user="CHLjoe"]

If martial law is declared, the gov't would take over and oversee the administration of drugs.  If nobody is in control and production stops, than everyone that is dependant upon medication would die after the supply is exhausted.

[/quote]

That is an excellent answer.

Taking it down just a notch. In the original posters description they said we couldn't go to hospitals because they would be over run with other injuries. I just wanted to say that anytime in emergency situations the seriously wounded are treated first followed by the chronically ill. Riots, fires, earthquakes, etc. if I need insulin and the hospital is functioning a doctor has to prescribe me insulin once confirmed that I am T1 diabetic.

i would flee to the US. or all you USers can flee up to canada or for those in the south, south america. but then  it would probably be nessasary to go farther, like england or france

I always think of crazy ridiculous situations like this when I'm walking by myself or something. One thing that has me worried because its more likely to happen is if I was at a bank or some place like that and robbers came in and took everyone hostage. I would only have the supplies I carried in with me, and who knows if the robbers would even let me use them?!?! Other one I think of is if I got kidnapped or something (I'm still kind of young it could happen) and again I would only have the supplies on me but the kipnapper might not let me use them or take them away. It really makes me scared to know that just because I have diabetes, now I am way more likely to die in these situations than "normal" people. Oh and I had a terrifying dream a couple weeks ago that kind of fits what you were describing except it wasn't humans bombing each other, it was like War of the Worlds with those machine/alien things. that dream really put in perspective for me how f*cked I am if anything like that were to ever happen =(

yes, while they can stink for filling an order fast, I find it's okay.  NO worries the insulin comes with gel packs and in insulated containers (no freezing, ships mostly cold) still you have to remember if you are going on vacation that week.

I use express scripts and they've always been okay.  mistakes are corrected, overnight.  Just don't get into that "I have 2 pills left and it's a long federal holiday weekend" situation and it'll be okay.  I have the option to get a partial filled at a retail pharmacy if I totally forget and get myself into an emergency.

i've used mail order for a couple years now and have never had an issue. my insulin is always in a cooler pack. i get an email or phone call 24 hours in advance so i am aware it's being delivered. i've never had any mistakes in my medication orders. i get three months at a time, so once i notice i'm about half way through the last bottle, i reorder.