What important questions should I be asking?

I'm going to see my doctor for the first time since my stay at the hospital, basically they told me I had T1 and they show me how to injec myself...after a few days I was on my own at home. I just want to make sure I don't forget any important questions when I see her. I hope you guys can help me out. Thank you!!!

Anamarys,

you can ask about continuing education and for a CDE (certified diabetes educator).  There's a million things to learn about and it will take some time, and a lot of face time, to get you to the point of being able to take care of yourself. 

what do you do when your high

what do you do when your low

what do you do when you eat

what do you do when  you are sick

it's normally too much to ask a doctor to give you that kind of face time - that's why a CDE can be a lot of help.

also I always recommend "Think Like a Pancreas" by Scheiner.  Amazon like here http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252635535&sr=8-1

also get a copy of the Calorie King book, it's a great database of carb counting for all kinds of food.

good luck! =)

Thank you so much!!! Your information was very helfull thanks again.

Also, make sure to ask for contact information for more questions!!! I always find, even after 23 years, that I come up with some question about an hour after my appointment!

Wow Anamarys...that sounds scary. I'm glad you are seeing someone soon who will hopefully be supportive.

Remember that if your doctor or whoever you see is unkind, or makes you feel uncomfortable, you do NOT have to go back to that person. I didn't realize this as a kid, and I kept seeing the same awful person.

You have rights. You have the right to be treated with respect. You have the right to see a doctor with a brain. You have the right to be treated like a human being by anyone who interacts with you. You have the right to ask questions. You have the right to say that you do not like something and ask for any alternatives. You have the right to see another doctor, nurse, C.D.E., endocrinologist.

Don't let anyone try to insist that you can only see that person.

Some ideas that are current in research and will show that the person you see may have a clue:

carb counting and sliding scales

the DCCT (diabetes control and complications trial)

the available technologies

a CAN DO attitude...as in, if you want to try a particular therapy, that person will FIND A WAY, instead of having you beg for it or trying to act like it's a big bother for them to follow through with things that could make your health and life better

the A1C

current clinical trials

most important...

whoever you see, make sure that they listen and are kind to you. I don't mean that they are annoyingly sweet, only that the person is humane.

You have rights. I wish someone had told me that way back when.

Everyone thank you so much. I feel a lot better about asking her questions. I wrote many questions down so I wouldn't forget when I'm there. You guys have been a big help. Thank you!!!

"is a pump right for me?"

I won't add any questions b/c you already got so many good ones. But, before I go, I always make sure to:

1. Have recent blood sugars to share

2. Have a list of refills you'll need (That's probably more for the future b/c you'll be getting new ones now)

3. Make sure to have a written list of questions and a pen. Even though my doctor prints out his instructions, they usually aren't as helpful as seeing it in my own words. Also, seeing that list of questions makes the dr stop and make sure s/he answered them all.

I hope you don't feel too overwhelmed. Just remember, you'll learn as much as you can each visit, but you'll just do your best and won't expect to understand every nuance yet. Good luck!