What is your goal?

I was just wondering what your goal or range is for blood sugar, and if it's changed over time. I'm thinking that as you age from child to adult, the range probably decreases somewhat. Is your goal a personal one, or set by your doctor? And how has your goal changed over time?

Sarah, for example, is 11 years old (next Monday), and her pump is set to a goal of 135. I believe it's set so her happy place (that place where no correction is made when she tests), is 120-150.

my goal is 6-8 because when i aim for anything lower (in turn raising my insulin doses), i usually drop low waaaay to much; seems like even one unit difference in dosing whether lantus or novorapid will cause extreme change in my control, wasn't able to get success with the pump either even with the option of 0.025 units. my endo sets it for me but i do get a say in it of course. it's been 6-8 the whole time i've seen him, when i was little i think it was 7-10 so not much of a difference.

my mom try for 120 - 159 notthing lower my endo says 139 - 189 but that is hight for me so we ues only Lantus & Humalog it help me contol my blood sugar more.

My goal is 120.

Our daughter, Baylee (13) has had the same goal since being dx and her endo sets her goal.  Her range is between 80-180 and her carb correction goal is 100. 

my endo set my but it is to hight for me & my carb correction goal is 139.

[quote user="Michelle"]

I was just wondering what your goal or range is for blood sugar, and if it's changed over time. I'm thinking that as you age from child to adult, the range probably decreases somewhat. Is your goal a personal one, or set by your doctor? And how has your goal changed over time.

[/quote]

I am 32 years old. My goal is 80-135.  Children have higher goals than adults because too many lows can potentially cause brain damage as their nervous systems continue to mature.

Mine is 80 - 120 with 100 being the main goal. I'll correct when I get over 140.

[quote user="eric"]

so we ues only Lantus & Humalog it help me contol my blood sugar more.

[/quote]

eric, you told us you had an insulin pump. in fact, you said you had an omnipod. then you said you didn't. then you said you got a new pump less than a week after you got the omnipod because it made you go too low and too high.

... so which is it? pump, MDI, or neither?

im on the OneTouch Ping sorry for not saying.

Mine is between 80 and 120, but I'm happy with anything between 70 and 150.  I didn't get this from a doctor per se, but it's my own thing.

My main goal is between 80 and 120.  But I'm happy with anything between 70 and 150.

I'm 24 and my goal is 120.  I use a Minimed pump so technically I can correct for anything over 120, but I usually wouldn't correct unless I saw something over 150 or so.

Does anyone else use Lantus with a pump?  I only use humalog.  It was my understanding that when using a pump you only use short acting, except for maybe in rare situations.  If someone could help clarify this for me I would appreciate it. 

My goal is 80-100 during the day and 100-120 at night.  My corrections are set at 90 and 110. 

The lady we were seeing said 70-150. After researching and based off Rileys age and newness to T-1 I changed it too 80-180. After a correction as long as she is out of the 300's and in the low 200's I am happy cause I know with her next round of food and insulin she will be in a normal range.

Thanks so much everyone. It sounds like Sarah's range is pretty normal, and the only thing that might change as she gets older is lowering it some. Even though her midpoint is 135, she's been pretty consistently running between100-120ish before most meals. I was thinking about decreasing her basal even more to get her up into her range, but as she hasn't had any serious lows, I think I'm going to leave it alone.

Thanks!

[quote user="Tracey "]

Does anyone else use Lantus with a pump?  I only use humalog.  It was my understanding that when using a pump you only use short acting, except for maybe in rare situations.  If someone could help clarify this for me I would appreciate it. 

[/quote]

most pumpers (90%+) are on fast acting alone.  you CAN NOT mix lantus with anything it needs to be a shot by itself for it to work as a basal insulin.

that being said... people who have big problems with DKA (and pump) can benefit from a long acting insulin like Lantus, or a actual mixture of insulins in the pump reservior.  The thinking is this - a major risk exposure to pump users is DKA from an interruption of insulin.  Lispro insulin (Humalog, Novolog, Apidra) only hangs out for 3-4 hours and so if you have a long acting on board your DKA risk is minimized.

regarding the original subject.   my target is less than 100, my goal is "to stay alive".

My target is 92 +/- 8. I set it myself, and my CDE thinks I am a little too crazy. 

I used to correct any time I was over 120, but now I'm working as an EMT - crazy hours, never sure when you'll get your next meal (or if you'll be able to finish it), sometimes sitting in a truck for hours, sometimes running all over hospitals, or doing chest compressions (which i've heard makes you go low like nothing else) - and I'm more scared of going low when it could potentially be a patient's life that is at stake, so i don't correct until over 135 (ish) when i'm at work. I treat lows at 70 (if i'm higher and dropping (and i notice) i'll set a lower temp basal). 

Wow, long winded answer. I'm also pretty newly diagnosed, and probably have a more intact glucagon response than many of you, so lows are less scary. 

My target during the day is 100 and at night it's 130. 

[quote user="Jessica "]

The lady we were seeing said 70-150. After researching and based off Rileys age and newness to T-1 I changed it too 80-180.

[/quote]

Wow, 70? That's pretty low for a kid. Isn't it? We usually start treating a low at that point. I just checked Sarah's meter, and her 14 day average is dead on 120. Not bad!