I was thinking about what I would recommend any family whose child has just been diagnosed with D to pick up upon coming home from the hospital that would make their day to day life easier. Maybe it will also give some of us 'experienced' parents some other good ideas.
- Small whiteboard - I put this up next to fridge. Then as my son ate, I could write down what and the amount to track the carbs. Also easier to have one central spot because then my husband could write down what food he gave too. Now I mainly use it to jot down the carbs/serving on frozen foods before throwing the bag out or getting the package back out of the freezer.
- Sharpies - handy to write carb amounts on sandwich baggies for snacks, etc.
- Plastic cups - I measured out 4 and 8 oz amounts into a bunch of plastic tumblers and marked the lines with a Sharpie. Now I don't have to measure drinks into a measuring cup first, just straight into the cup my son drinks from.
- Measuring cups - I of course had a set for baking but I have 2 more sets now because it always seems like the one I need is covered in spaghetti sauce or something.
- Calorie King book. Ask your endo's office for one or just get one at a bookstore. Handy.
What other things are hard for you to live without?