What pump should I get?

I am looking into getting a pump for the first time. I hear the sales people are pushy and want real opinions. What pump should I get and why?

Well if you have not heard - sales people have one purpose - to sell!

You might talk to a CDE about alll the options and what best fits your lifestyle. For me, I chose the Minimed 530G and a CGM as they work in tandum, but everyone has his/her own reasons to not liking the CGM on the 530G (Enlite CGM).

I have not been completely happy with the new Enlite system - the pump is the pump – the all do about the same, but the Enlite is supposed to give you 6 days and I find that I’m not getting 6 days and I and wasting time on the phone with Reps that are not well trained.

Which pumps have you looked into or are considering?

Best,

Scott

I am looking at the Omnipod, T:Slim & Animas.
So far I like the Omnipod because it is small and I am active. Seems like a smaller change by not having the who system and tubing.
The T slim because it looks nice, new and up to date. (Has more options w/ carb counting)
And the Animas because my Doc told me that soon it will be merging with Dexcom. (I have the Dexcom ordered.) But it looks old school. Just 3 buttons. Although I like the idea of a pump and CGM in one.

What is CDE? Iv had diabetes for 14 years and I dont know any of these codes and have never had a pump. So Im excited to try it out.

Thank you for your help!
Lindsey

Hi there!
I’ve used a pump for 4 years now and have used quite a few types so here’s my opinion:

Animas
I used the ping and loved it. I loved the color screen and the water proof as well as the remote, but there are a couple down sides - some of the rewind features are annoying, like when you change the battery you have to completely rewind, fill tubing, etc. However, because it takes lithium batteries, unlike some of the others, you don’t have that problem that often. And if you pay more attention than i do, you can change the battery when you do the reservoir change anyways :wink: Also - I’ve found that Animas has better customer service, like their holiday pump programs and things, which may sound minor, but trust me you’ll come to appreciate it.

Medtronics
One word - fail. I used to love my Medtronic paradigm, but I’ve come to hate it, to the point where I inject more than I use it. It lacks in some MAJOR areas. For one, it doesn’t take lithium batteries, which again sounds minor, but when I’m changing the battery every week, it gets annoying, quickly. Also, people tend to lean towards Medtronics because of it’s integrated CGM, but don’t. I never once had the sensor working and accurate actually. It came to the point where I knew that whatever it said is what my blood was NOT. Helpful right? And the taping system is horrific. I use the Dexcom and then my pump (with the sensor turned off). Also, the backlight doesn’t turn on automatically and you can only turn it on when you are the home screen, which is a pain to get to when you’re in the dark, because you can’t see anything! Also, the menu is a pain in the you know what to navigate through, and find any information. And the most annoying thing which has actually gotten me in trouble a few times is that it doesn’t tell you when you are out of insulin. On top of not alerting, you can keep bolusing as normal! And the alarm isn’t very loud, and gets muffled really easily. And the vibration is that strong. Honestly, this pump is really not worth it, at all. It has far too many problems to be beneficial.

T-Slim
Ah, at last my favorite! The t-slim is just and easy, simpler pump that has truly paid attention to what patients need. the home screen has all of the info you would want to know quickly - insulin left, battery life, time, IOB, and basal. Also, the touch screen is a major addition for me. People question it’s safety but it does have a lock, so I wouldn’t worry about that. Also, this is the only pump you can use safely when flying, because no bubbles form in the tube during take off and landing, because of the bag design (eliminating the reservoir). Also, this pump has a rechargeable battery which is a major life saver. I have talked to the t-slim people a few times, and they are by far the nicest, most considerate, understanding customer service. (Again sounds minor but you will seriously come to appreciate it!)

Hope this helps!

P.S. - If you are looking into CGMs as well, you may want to wait until the end of the year. T-slim and Animas both have Dexcom integrated pumps submitted to the FDA and hoping to be released by the end of 2014. I am absolutely in love with my Dexcom so I can’t wait!

Also - with the omnipod, I’d be careful if you are very active. Because of the weight, I’ve heard they tend to fall out easily. I’m trying one out next week for the first time and I play tennis three hours a day, so I’ll reply back with my results

The omnipod can actually be more of a pain to change and transport because you have to change the whole pod every time, where as with the pumps it just the tube and reservoir

CDE= Certified Diabetes Educator - usually a nurse.

I have used nedtronic for over 15 years and I know that there are better options, but I’m kinda like why change? I do get good results with it. But it looks like @ZOENJC has done some homework!

Scott

When I began shopping for pumps. I asked that my endocrinologist to prescribe a saline trial for both the Omnipod and the One-Touch Ping. I went with the Omnipod, because I was apprehensive about the tubing and the liked the idea of not having to disconnect from my pump when I showered.

I started on Omnipod January of 2013. I had pretty good success with it until this winter. I had pods failing on me, while I was priming/filling them or during where. They had error messages that the CSR did not know what they meant. I was sent replacement pods, but the insulin was lost because they recommend not with drawing it from the pump to put into another pump. I got frustrated with the failures. I started shopping for a new pump. I decided to go with the Medtronic Minimed 530C with Enlite Sensors. This system is a CGM and Pump that work tandem, with the capability to suspend delivery if blood glucose get too low.

Hope this helps a little…

Thank you everyone for your help!
I am getting the dexcom soon. (Iv applied… dont have it) I am excited about! The only reason I dont want to wait til the dexcom has merged with T:slim or aminas is because my endocrinologist told me I am getting old if I want kids. I am only 27, but I guess with diabetes that’s old.

Anyway, I want the dexcom NOW. I am excited to have it!I plan to get or try a pump a couple weeks after.
Thank you zoenjc for the push toward T;slim. I am drawn to digital capabilities, size and now the flight bonuses. I fly about every month.

The omnipod- You said they dont recommend reusing the insulin that you have put in… Why? I was going to ask if it was even possible. With being active I had some concerns. If you can reuse the insulin, why is it bad to? It seems wasteful. How easily will they fall off? I gym most days of the week & my family does karate for a living… I wanna play with them. How much more expensive are the sites? If they fall off…

When you do a trial pump- Does it have to be saline? I was hoping for the real thing.

Lindsey,

The manufacturers of pumps have safeguards that they are under legal obligation with the FDA to uphold. I think the insulin put into a pump would be considered “contaminated.” So they recommend using fresh insulin for each pod, that was one of my dilemmas.

I never had a pod “fall” off, the adhesive on the OmniPod is the same type as used by other insulin pump manufacturers. Not sure on pricing, would probably depend on insurance, co-pays and co-insurance that your insurance policy would cover.

I am not sure about if they are able to trial with insulin, I think they do the trials with saline, because they can do it with out fear of too much insulin or needing medical help. Saline would be a safe static way to try a pump. I trialed the OmniPod and the OneTouch Ping.

I am currently on the MiniMed 530 G with Enlite Sensor. It is a system that incorporates a CGM and pump that can stop the delivery of insulin if a certain glucose level is detected by the CGM. I really love this feature…

Hope this helps…

Dave G

@ikaneshiro

With the omnipod trial when i spoke to a rep, she said they would first try it with saline and if all goes well, follow up with a 45-day supply of pods to use with insulin.

The price of the pods will completely depend on your insurance, however when you think about it, you don’t pay for an original pump, and the pods have a lot more to them than just the tubing and cannulas, so I would assume they would be more expensive, however i’m not sure.

Well, I have the medtronic mini-med, which sucks majorly. At school, I have this medical class, and i had to research pumps. The highest quality product is the T-slim, With less diabetic emergencies reported by users. Though it isn’t the greatest invention, it works alot better then other pumps.

I had the Accu chek spirit and now have the accu chek combo. I have never had any problems with either one and customer service has been great. I don’t know much about other pumps out there and notice nobody seem to speak about or recommend this pump so keep that in mind.

@KCsHubby

Not sure if this answers you question, but I use the 530G as it offers a CGM and hasa remote control as well, but I am not shy about telling people I have diabetes.

The meter that reads directly with the 530g is the Bayer Contour.

Best,

Scott

I’ve been on the Medtronic 530G since April and I am loving it. I have to disagree with some posts here against the 530G. My battery last at least one month sometimes longer and the Enlite CGM has been very accurate for me. You can turn the backlight on from any screen by just holding the bolus wizard button and the down arrow button, you do not have to be on the home screen. My pump does warn me when my insulin cartridge is low. You can set it to alert you when you have a certain number of units left and/or time left.

I choose the 530G for 2 main reasons…the integrated CGM…only need to have one unit to carry around and most important to me was the threshold suspend. Until I got my 530G I suffered with frequent and severe lows. I have had my pump go into threshold suspend a few times but because of the CGM I’ve been able to treat when getting low rather than actually going low. This has not only given me peace of mind but my family as well.

Rob

@RobS19

I don’t know if you’re disagreeing with my comments regarding my experience with the 530 G or not. But it would seem odd since my experience is different than yours.

I certainly think the Enlite is much more comfortable but like I said many times my sensor will not read after four or five days and I don’t get the full six days.

Medtronic simply says that for some people the invite some system is not the best. They’ve suggested that if I don’t get the full life I did the sensor that I might go back to using the old sensor.

They’ve reviewed my data information on the care link and said that I’ve done everything correctly so it’s not user error as much is either receiving bad sensors or the sensor not having enough fluid in the cannula to read.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the 530 G is the most convenient product out there since it’s only one unit to have to carry around but when I lose two or three days on the sensor that’s very frustrating.

I’m happy that it’s working for you.

Scott

I also love my medtronic minimed pump! and the Enlite… I find the sensor to be accurate almost all of the time… I get a minimum of 6 days on it, and more often than not 7-10 days, then it starts to read low. Brought my A1C down to 5.6 from 13.4!

Clearly everyone doesn’t have the same experience as I do though. :frowning:

@ChemDracula

That is great that you get 7-10 days! I have had it it for 8 months and get nothing after 6 days - usually 5 day and while accurate never past 6 days… wonder why?

I have had it for just over 4 months. At first, I would only get it to last 6 days, and sometimes 7. Now, when it says sensor end after 6 days I take the transmitter out and put it back on the charger. When I hook it back up I tell the pump that it is a new sensor. I usually get a few more days doing it this way.

I’ve though a bit about that could make it last longer sometimes than others. I believe it works by releasing a chemical that interacts with glucose in the interstitial fluid, a reaction occurs that creates a voltage that the sensor reads. I wonder if that means If my blood sugars are running higher one week that the amount of chemical could run out? or be low faster, decreasing the lifetime. Or maybe it just works most efficiently full? I’m not sure though exactly how it works. Just an idea.

I also wonder if the sensor in your interstitial fluid itself degrades a bit over time, and if this could depend a lot person to person. Or if the particular site matters more than we think. I put mine in my love handle, so it doesn’t get messed with much. I also cover it completely with an IV-3000 1-hand tape. Medtronic recommends not covering it completely, but it works for me. They do say that if swimming it should be dried every 30 minutes, so moisture must effect it somehow. Maybe some people sweat more?

Just ideas!