What the heck?

I am so sick and tired of the fluctuations!!! Yesterday woke up at 540, bolused using the wizard. It seemed like alot so I dialed it down 2.5 units. 4 hours later I was at 44!!! Does anyone else have these type of fluctuations? I’ll have a week of lows, ten a week of highs, then a week of all over the place. There’s no rhyme or reason. This is crap…I quit…I’m not being TD1 anymore. Do you think I can switch for type 2? Is there someone who’ll trade me, boy if it was that easy. After 35 years of TD1 it NEVER gets easier. C’mon scientist move your butts.

Jim, I understand exactly where you are - well, almost exactly as no two people ever quite experience the same. Yes, during my 58 years T1d I’ve experienced many unexplained drops. One of my “unexplained” happened while I was in hospital and all I did between the high and the low was to eat my dinner - without bolus because it was prior to taking a bolus with meals. So, I was diagnosed as “brittle diabetes” a term that later went into disuse.

You were wise in “only taking 2.5 units” rather than the amount recommended by Bolus Wizard; yes, always use your judgment. But, remember that the wizard is only as good as the information that you enter, such as your sensitivity factor at that time. When was the last time you validated your sensitivity? The number of points, under normal activity conditions, a single unit of insulin will drop your BG in one hour, in two hours, etc. And keep in mind that your sensitivity could be different at various times of the day.

When you got the 540, did you then rewash your hands and do another test? I use another meter when retesting although historically I’ve found the second meter test is still in the same range as the first test. (I got this tip from my paramedic daughter who has had to revive people who took a bolus based on blood tests drawn from "sticky fingers.)

And your last question, “… does it ever get easier?” - NO, I don’t think so. what is different now from 35 years ago is that we are more aware and have the tools to know when we make a mistake. “Back then”, you would have judt felt lousy and didn’t know you had a 540 BG and if you took extra insulin because Clinitest showed orange you may have taken a little extra less-refined, slower acting insulin.

Hope you have leveled by now. Last evening I did three treatments for unexpected lows, measured amounts of carbs without insulin and still was uncomfortable - so at at 11:30 I ate a nice, tasty brownie - went to bed and at 3:00 AM was 198. I said “great”, went back to bed and slept soundly.

the application for transfer to Type 2 are over by the lifetime tax-exempt paperwork at the IRS. Call the toll-free help line, the wait time is known to be “lengthy”

@Dennis made good points, I only want to tag on. mornings are tough, possibly the toughest time for blood sugar control, if you experienced “dawn phenomenon” or the “Somogyi effect”. it can be a brain smasher.

in somogyi a low blood sugar in the pre-dawn hours causes your body to release it’s own version of glucagon, skyrocketing your blood sugar level by emptying the liver storage. too much correction will cause a crash because you will have both the active insulin and your liver trying to suck in sugar to replenish. happens to runners who get low too, sometimes you need a TON of sugar to bring up the low because your fighting your darn liver. the only combat is if you get up at 3 or 4 to check for overnight low trends. could be a basal adjustment.

dawn phenom or effect is just your body’s insulin resistance going high for a short time in the morning. in the normals, it causes blood sugar to rise slightly in the AM, helping you wake up, then it shuts off and your are okay. in us, replace “slightly” with “CRAZY” and you get the idea. it means tougher insulin requirement guesses in the morning.

sorry you had a roller coaster morning. if it helps you at all, my mornings can be tough too.

hey just thinking out loud, all the time crazy could also be a infusion set issue (kinked/bent cannula and intermittent absorption issues) as well as liver issues - might think about changing infusion set types (longer, shorter, straight or 45 degree, or switching to the metal ones)

and then you could also consider symlin, I think it’s main benefit is calming down the liver dump/liver charge thing for people who are sensitive to the issue. hey it’s just more shots, could be worse yeah?

Well thank you all for the empathy. Dennis, you wash your hands? KIDDING It’s just sometimes you get tired of this and nobody understands. They think you have a pump and “Ta Da” Perfect. I remember the Medtronics Rep who told me this would “Change my life”, frigging salesmen. I gotta check out that Symlin, whats another shot. And yes the morning rise gets me once in a while but when you go to bed at 180 and wake up at 540? I gotta get video monitors to see if I’m waking up and eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch in my sleep. But Dennis is right, sometimes the lows are opportunities to eat something terrible for you. My favorite go to is a Brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tart

It would be nice if DM1 was X+Y=Z 15 carbs + 1 unit of insulin = blood sugar 115 But somewhere the diabetes gods weren’t so kind. its like we’re all detectives trying to figure out the puzzle but the clues are forever changing.

Jdkerwin,

you’re right. the frustration is sometime too much and I think that’s your message. It’s a good one 'cause it’s true.

I just happened to meet someone who has had t1 for decades. One thing he said was “a bad low kills my whole day.” It was actually helpful to hear that because even when a low is treated and the glucometer reflects a “normal” BG, the WHOLE body has been depleted and it does take hours to come back to an energy level where functioning is possible.

Very few people outside the T1 circle understand this. Including Medical People, friends, parents, …
The input on this forum is helpful advice although ya gotta scream now and then.

Today my blood sugar kept dropping slightly low, and I came home so exhausted! I kept treating it, eating a small snack, and bringing it right back up to normal. I am a teacher, and end of school year chaos is killing me! I am packing and moving classrooms, so I am having a really hard time keeping my bs stable! I feel depleted most evenings. It happens when I finally sit down when I get home. I have a hard time getting back up again!

I’m sorry to hear about this Jdkerwin. I’ve had it for 38 years and experience this as well. The morning one has been giving me fits for a while. Seems I can do the same thing as far as snacks/insulin and get very different results one day to the next. My endocrinologist and I are work on it. There are other factors besides insulin and exercise and food that we all understand, but not doctors or pharmaceutical companies.

I have accepted it now and know that despite the best of efforts this stuff is going to happen. I feel I am more on an autopilot mode where I test, dose based on that and move on. Maybe this works for me because I don’t really get stressed out about much anyway. One of the quirks of how my brain works (there are other quirks I wont’ go into here!).

Don’t get me wrong, I do my best and test/exercise/eat to maintain as good of “control” as I can. However some things I can’t control like my BS sometimes. My last A1C was 6.5 which is a world record for me.

I hope this helps. There is more to life than diabetes and I can’t spend any more brain cycles on worrying about parts of it I can’t control than I already have to.

I plan to start a rant thread on this in the future, but my opinion is we are being stressed out by the pharmaceutical companies and medical professionals to chase an ever and ever lower A1C which they will gladly “help” us with by purchasing more and more expensive devices with and endless stream of costly supplies. In the business world, we call that an annuity stream. It’s great for business.

I know how you feel. I’ve been doing ok the last few years, but when I was younger my nurse educator used to tell me I had “funky” diabetes. One of the worst points for me was right before I was diagnosed with celiac disease 3 years ago. My blood sugar was running low every morning for months and I couldn’t figure out why. I changed my doses repeatedly and started keeping track of my activity levels. After going gluten free the lows stopped happening. I’m thinking the cause was the whole wheat bagel I typically ate for breakfast. I had no other symptoms.

If it makes you feel any better, it’s not just humans that have crazy fluctuations. I used to be a vet tech at a lab and we did a study with 5 diabetic pigs while I was there. The vendor that sold them to us sent a cheat sheet with guidelines for dosing based on their blood sugars. They told us that as long as we followed the cheat sheet and their prescribed diet then their blood sugars would be stable. Each pig had a base dose and then you either increased or decreased based on their blood sugar range. (For example: base dose 15 units, +2 if BG between 200 and 300.) Those pigs’ blood sugars were all over the charts for the 2 months we had them. 34 in the morning, then 500 in the evening, then 190 the next morning… We were aiming for 300. I really hated that study; I felt so sorry for them. And it was frustrating being the only diabetic working on the study. I’d catch the vets looking at me sometimes like “how do you do this every day?” but they never actually bothered to ask me for advice. Not to mention having to listen to the other technicians complain about having to check the pigs’ blood sugars twice a day, even on weekends. :-/

Hi Jdkerwin,
Diabetes is stupid!:-/
I’ve only had it for 3 1/2 yrs diagnosed at 42. I had an awful Indiana winter and my BS was all over the board. Mornings would be close to 300! My feet burned, my eyes were blurry, you name it and I was going through it! My endo said to work out more. I work in a warehouse and lift computer servers etc all day so I knew that wasn’t the answer. I changed my Lantus dose from 5u to 6 to 7, within a two week period. I also changed the basal from evening to morning due to the possibility of it not working after 16 to 20 hrs. As every one stated above we all process the insulin, carbs, stress etc differently. I started having better readings after I adjusted the dose and also found out that during the winter months fat and proteins in the blood cause more inflammation in our bodies which changes the way our bodies process EVERYTHING. Look into the inflammation topic, it may give you some different variables to consider. Another thing that I’ve begun is if i test before bed and my BS is say 180 I give myself 2u of Humolog. If I’m above 200 it’s 3 u. So far no morning lows. I generally wake up in range 95 to 120.
Talk with your Endo before changing doses. Mine wasn’t a big help so I tested new theories on the weekend when I didn’t have to work. Nothing too drastic so I could correct if needed.
Oh yah, I should mention that after a year and a half with T1 I was diagnosed as post menopausal.
(thank goodness cause I thought I was going crazy)
Didn’t know diabetes could throw the body into menopause. The point of this information is to make you aware that the body starts and stops all different types of hormones. The precise percentage of any given hormonal fluctuation can reek havoc for a T1. More time in the sun, and taking vitamin D caps has helped as well.

As I said earlier…Diabetes is stupid…

Good luck and blessings to all

@Boston, I know that feeling after lows or highs, to me it should be called a Diabetic hangover because it feels like the morning after a night with Jameson. Type1@42…I’m in Indiana too, a little town called Lowell. It’s just so nice to finally find a place where people get it! My cholesterol was at 140 and my Dr said that great but a “Diabetic” should be at 100. He wants to put me on a statin drug. I’m 6’1" weigh 200 lbs and in good shape (for a 53 year old) ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS NUMBERS!!
I do have a public service announcement though. Since the glorious Obamacare started my insurance went through the roof $1500 a month for my wife and I with a $4000 deductible. My endo (to help me out) gave me 10 vials of humalog and a bunch of test strips. So I used them to save money because it cost me $250 a vial and $375 for strips before the deductible. Last week I got a letter from United Healthcare. They are now reducing my monthly prescription for insulin and strips. If I need more the letter said, I could buy them outright. So watch when you get free samples and stretch them out. I’m now limited to 4 vials a month (I average 5) and 100 strips (I use 200).

We should see where everyone lives on this site and maybe get together in different areas once in a while. I would LOVE to sit down and talk with people in the same boat. I get sick of hearing the T2’s whine about having to cut down on Dairy Queen.

the endos have told me to stay at about 150 and 180 at bedtime. They are not pushing for A1c in the 6 range as they know that on avg this means too many lows. Since the brain lives on 2 things: glucose and oxygen, a low affects those neurons a lot…

re: cost of care. Very worried about this for long term. I hesitate to say more about this issue as my research on this leads me to some not so happy conclusions. Obamacare is a sell out to the INsurance Industry/Wall Street. Pharma, Insurance corporations, device mfgs, all have a big stake in this disease and not interested in any real assistance or reform. It’s a big COST to us, it is BIG revenue for them. They are powerful lobbyists. ALL politicians at all levels of gov’t will not win against these lobbies. It’s lip-service.

I won’t go on as most diabestes forums do not like politics and I don’t want to bum anyone out here :wink:

@Boston, it’s not political, it’s reality. It wouldn’t matter who’s in office. But they make way more money on T2D which they say is becoming an epidemic. 95% of ALL diabetes is Type 2. So we are only 5% of the diabetic population world wide. We are this way through no fault of our own whereas T2D is preventable in almost all cases. I was just a kid who got severe headaches and passed out alot, then they found out why. So since we’re a small percentage they can’t make the hundreds of billions they crave off of us thus we have to PAY and PAY and PAY. Since they can’t make huge profits we become the red-headed step children of the diabetic world. Type 1 healthcare costs last year- 14 Billion. Type 2 costs- 250 Billion!! Who do you think gets the attention?