What was life like before diabetes?

Ok, i have never really know the answer to the question above but my best friend just asked me that and I couldn't honestly answer but she just really wants to know how much it has changed us. So, what differences has diabetes made to your life?

Well, honestly it is hard for me to explain and be positive about it because I feel like a lot of my issues now correlate with Diabetes, so I apologize.

I was diagnosed just before I turned 16 so needless to say I wasn't allowed to drive very often until 8 months after my birthday. Also, being smack dab in the middle of my teenage years wasn't easy to handle either. I often have thought to myself that if having Diabetes was inevitable, I would have rather gotten it early enough to where I either wouldn't remember the difference or at least at an age where I would have gotten a toy and not really have understood what was wrong. I have a friend that was diagnosed at the age of four and all she remembers is getting a Barbie, where I associate mine with constant ridicule from people at school and very rapid weight gain because I was put on the wrong regimen.

It is defnitely hard when you go from eating oreos and milk and pb&j every day after school and losing weight (high BG's) to stuck in a hospital for two days starving because your diet is very strict so the dr. can figure out all of your rates. I feel like a lot of my weight gain is contributed to my diabetes and I feel like I'd be a lot thinner and happier with myself if I didn't have it. I'm sure no matter who you are and when you are diagnosed you go through times when you are just tired of it, but I remember every detail of my diagnosis and I remember life before diabetes very vividly. I often find myself in a hurry and having to fill my insulin pump or checking my blood sugar and thinking "i hate this. if i didn't have diabetes, I would be on time and not stressed out". I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, but I do know that I am alot more of a "debby downer" and my anxiety has escalated a lot since my diagnosis. I feel that I am almost always stressed. Now, again, this is a negative way to look at this, and I hope you don't adopt this way of thinking, but this is how I see it:

Our patience is a fish tank. Each piece of stress is a handful of pebbles or fish tank rocks that are used to fill this tank. Every day little stresses are like little pebbles, and the big things in life are boulders. I feel like every detail and chore that goes into having T1 has filled up my tank so high with little pebbles that everything else that may otherwise not be a huge deal (i.e., a big test coming up, relationship issues, roommate issues, etc.) turn into big boulders that make my tank overflow. Oddly enough, I heard this analogy by a guest speaker when I was in elementary school regarding parent's and their stresses, but its always stuck with me and now I've adapted it to my life. Again, I know this is a negative picture or way to think about it, but unfortunately, that's how my brain works. I'm trying to think more positive about T1 and I think that juvenation is my first step.

On my good days, though, I think that even though I probably would have been thinner, I also think that overall I may be on a healthier track. I don't eat healthy nearly enough, but I do make a ton of more concious healthy decisions than I would have had I not been diagnosed. I also feel like having this will allow me to better connect with those around me. I am going into a field that revolves around diseases and disorders and I will be able to be that much more empathetic towards those I will be working with.

If I could change anything about having diabetes, it would be that everyone in the Diabetic field of work that I have and do work with regarding my health would have T1 as well. It is hard talking to someone about your health when you know they don't understand 100% what you are going through. They can tell you how to fix your problems, but not how to deal with the emotions that go along with having a chronic illness.

Bottom Line: Life before the big D was a lot more easy, less stressful and carefree, but a lot less healthy.  

i'm one of the lucky ones. i was diagnosed when i was 6. i'm thankful for that, because i actually can't remember what life was like before i had to take needles every day and poke my finger. i have nothing to compare my life to, so i have no reason to feel like i'm missing out cuz it's all i remember.

My life before diabetes was pretty much the same as post. I was always a little grown up at that age. I had already hit the sullen shy teenage years. I was a little more out of shape and more addicted to sweets. While I may have matured and grown up a little faster, I can't for certain guess anything else. I did have more friends pre-diabetes, I lost one of them right before my diagnosis, I wonder though sometimes if that was going to happen anyway or if my pre-diagnosis state drove him away. Oh well. Would not being a diabetic be any different than being one, I am not certain. Maybe I am a little more cynical and sarcastic, but I have a feeling that was bound to happen anyway. So truly life pre and post can't be all that much different other than a change in what I ate and more fun excuses to make.

Life before diabetes was perfect! I mean perfect. I loved it and nothing was wrong. It was pretty much my dream life

i was 5. i don't remember much. i remember dinosaur cookies in preschool and eating 3 bowls of rice krispies for breakfast, but that's about it. it was a traumatic change, but like most kids i transitioned pretty smoothly. 5 year olds are very "here and now" so i never thought about having diabetes unless it was time for a shot or finger poke. i consider myself lucky as well because i feel that not remembering life before has made things easier.

I was also diagnosed at age 5 (nearly 26 yrs. ago). I was too young to remember what my life was like before diabetes. I am thankful for my early diagnosis though, it is the only lifestyle I've ever known.

I was diagnosed at age 19 32 years ago.  Life before diabetes is a distant memory.  It was good.  I have/had great parents and a happy childhood.  My life has been both good and bad since.  Not really due to diabetes.  It's just different now.  I don't think about what life would be like without it or wish i didn't have it.  Get's me nowhere.  Living with diabetes is life for me.  It's the only one I got.  Life before diabetes was so long ago, it almost doesn't seem real anymore.

I've been diabetic for almost 10 years, so it is hard to remember what it was like. I guess it was a little more carefree didnt have to worry abotu counting carbs and what supplies I have to have with me at all times, didnt have to explain to everyone that yes I am "aloud" to eat sugar. However, I think having diabetes has made me more responsible and more health conscious if nothing else.

I was 19 when I was diagnosed which was only 7 months ago. Life was great! I remember being able to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. The thing that changed most for me was school! I was so nervous to have to do shots on my own on campus everyday just to survive. It was a horrible feeling being alone (because I lived on campus) and not having my families support there all the time!

Most of my changes have probably been for the best, honestly.  The biggest change is diet.  I eat so much healthier now and have opened up to so many delicious vegetables and foods that I previously wouldn't try.  Cutting out sweets can never be a bad thing.

Other things include become more interested and supportive of scientific research.  It's not that I opposed anything to begin with, I just really was indifferent.  Obviously I hold stem cell research with more importance now, and hope that in the near future something is found.

Fortunately, I don't think these things are very major, and pricking my finger and giving myself shots don't bother me at all, so in reality I'm glad that I haven't changed all that much. (:

Healthy eating is a Biggie and very key. Not to mention gotta love the veggies and to a lesser degree fruits.

[quote user="Brian Q."]

Healthy eating is a Biggie and very key. Not to mention gotta love the veggies and to a lesser degree fruits.

[/quote]

The list of vegetables I enjoy eating now is easily doubled what I would eat before.  I can't believe what I let myself miss out on for so long.  Thank you diabetes!!! hahaha 

i was diagnosed at 3

and the only thing i can Really remember at that time was that when the ice cream truck came by, i wasnt allowed to get anything :'(

lol. at the time it kind of made me sad/mad. hahaha but im over it now.

*******i actually think having diabetes has made a stronger person. i had more responsibilities when i was younger and i think i grew up a bit faster then my peers. I honestly think i would be a completely different person if i was never diagnosed. so in a way i guess im glad? lol.

i was diagnosed just before i turned twelve, so it will have been 3 years in 2 months. And honestly, i can hardly remember life without it. it seems like such a long time ago when i would just walk into my panrty and eat whatever i wanted whenever i wanted.

well for me i have only been diagnosed for 6 & half months....so clearly i remember my life without diabetes. As of march 18, 2009 i was a carefree 17 year old junior who was living the stressful life of being a teenager-school, work, dance, friends, etc. I was always on the go--grabbing a poptart/bag of chips/etc. between school and work. I was loving my hectic life and I truly appreciated everything I had going for me. However on March 19 everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with diabetes. For the first 3 months I took it really hard. I was going into a depression. I was pushing friends away, I lost the guy I cared about the most, I had major family issues, and I was NOT dealing with diabetes at all. The first 3 months was the hardest because I wanted my "normal" life back. However for the last few months I have been doing great. I finally accepted the disease and I am "ok" with it. I have had some great opportunities come out of it and I appreciate life soo much more now! Life is too short-that's for sure!!

i was diagnosed a few months after my 16th birthday.  i'm almost 18 now and i remember life very clearly before diabetes.  i have to agree with kim.  it has definetly made me more stressed and much more serious.  i used to be happy and outgoing and loved to go to movies and lunch and just chill with my friends but now i prefer to be alone.  it seems that i'm quieter now because i feel not normal like people will think that they can "catch" diabetes from me.  i'm probably just imagining that but i can't seem to shake it.  so to answer your question kelsey being diagnosed with diabetes has changed my personality and i'm still trying to find a way to get back to the old me.  and if anyone else has gone through this i will gladly take suggestions on how to get back to the old me!!

I cant rember because i have had diabetes since i was 3 1/2 years old almost 12 years ago

Sad to say, I don't know what life was like before diabetes.  I can't imagine not having to deal with it daily, but I look foward to when the questions become:

What was life like back when you had diabetes?  Tell me about the day you first heard about the cure?  Describe when you got cured?

That will be a glorious day!

I definitely remember because I was one of the late bloomers!  I got diagnosed in college at the lovely age of 19.  Let's just say my absolute FAVORITE drink was Orange Juice.  For obvious reasons I am not able to enjoy that with breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday now.  I would have to say that is a biggie just because it is a little thing most people don't think about.  The other one ... always having to carry a purse.  There are so many concerts I have gone to, where pre D, I could stick my ID in my back pocket with some money and go in.  Now, I HAVE to carry a purse to EVERYTHING so I have my meter, a snack, extra supplies, etc.  It is very annoying.  I have to say that I feel less "tied down" by my pump than I do with my purse.  I hate having to always carry so much stuff around.  Also thank you for saying what you did :[quote user="since030993"]

What was life like back when you had diabetes?  Tell me about the day you first heard about the cure?  Describe when you got cured?

[/quote]

I totally agree!!!  I can't wait.