What's the worst reaction you've had from high/low blood sugar?

The worst thing I think that has happened to me is ending up in the ER only hours away from dying.  It was back in 2001 and I had been suffering with a horrible sinus infection.  I wasn't taking the best care of myself to begin with so that only fueled the fire.  I went to my PCP so that I could get medicine to clear it up.  She prescribed a steriod pack and did not inform me that it will raise your BG.  So not only were my sugars not controled to begin with but add to the fact that I had a major infection and was taking steriods!  Definitely a recipe for disaster.  My mom stopped by my house to see if there was anything she could do and after taking one look at me on the couch refused to leave without taking me to the hospital.  I hadn't eatten or drank anything for atleast a full day and vomitted until the only thing left to come out was stomach bile. (Yeah gross I know.)  I spent 13 hours in the ER, 3 days in ICU and 2 more days on a regular floor.  The hospital sent a social worker to ask me questions to see if I had intentionally made myself stay out of control.  They said that there are people who do so that they'll lose weight.  I had never heard and thought about it before.  Let's just say since then I keep a much closer eye on everything.

Besides almost slipping into insulin shock when I was younger and started two shots a day.......I got pretty low enough to say a lot of really bad words in front of my daughters due to hypoglycemia.  My speech was really slurred and I had no idea what was going on.  I was conscious, but in little control of my words/actions. Thankfully my husband helped and I caught it quickly!  I have been lucky enough to stay out of the hospital. 

I was at school and I had to be brought to the car in a wheelchair. I tested several times before and my BG was like 180 something or higher. I was driven home and I couldn't get out of the car. I had all the signs of hypo but no one gave me anything. I couldn't walk, couldn't move my muscles, I could only lift my head... a little bit. I got home and I tested my BG and it was 47. I was apparently 5 minutes away from slipping into a coma, but I wasn't tired, but I looked it. My mother drove from queens and my father from where he was because I was at my neighbor's house. I ended up having some snacks and a mac and cheese and I was better. It took about 2 days to fully recover and feel normal again

I don't really have a "conscious" story... although I went unconscious twice in my sleep, I am told (my dad came to check on me before he left for work; my eyes were open, but I was not responsive ).  The worst feeling with super-lows is the heart palpitations.  Hate that.

Yeah the super-low effects are definitely scary.  I passed out at work about three years ago.  Funny thing is is that I was working at Walgreens part-time in the pharmacy of all places.  We were super busy with no breaks for hours and I stepped in front of the shelves looking for a certain medicine and it hit me like a ton of bricks.  All of a sudden I got really shaky, sweaty, blurry vision and dizzy.  I sat down on a step stool and the pharmacist looked over at me and ran to get juice.  But unfortunately she didn't make it back in time.  I felt my head jerk back really hard and that's the last thing I remember. I went into a seizure as I passed out.   I woke up with a couple of paramedics around me, the pharmacist, and my husband (he worked next door) who had the glucagon in his hand.  I later found out  the paramedics wouldn't give me the shot because they said if they don't carry it in their bag they can't administer it.  So thankfully the pharmacist grabbed one off the shelf and my husband gave it to me.

I had a seizure when I was a teenager.  I had been running high all day and kept taking insulin but it still wasn't coming down.  I finally took a huge dose of insulin to bring it down (so dumb and such a mistake looking back.)  It was right before bed..hrm..mistake number 2.  My mom woke me up in the morning and I don't remember very much, besides a bunch of colors flashing in front of my eyes.  I looked up at the ceiling because I wanted to look at something solid and one color in order to figure out what was going on with all the colors.  Apparently people look at the ceiling before they have a seizure, which is weird because I thought I had a great reason to be looking at it! Lol.  Anyway, glucagon was given, paramedics were called, and I felt like shit mentally for a few months.  Insulin is not something to be messed with - lesson learned.

Molly

I went into DKA when I was 14 - my fault as I was trying to fit in with the rest of the gang. Whole year of getting the "flu" was just my bodies way of telling me ... "Houston We Have a Problem".  Ended up in coma for 3 days.  Worst part was having to have my head shaved, due to all my head tossing on pillow. I really grew up at that point, knowing the diabetes can't be taken lightly.

Worst hypo or low blood sugar was waking up knowing I was really REALLY low. Not able to move my legs, having a brain fight with myself as I tried to figure out what to do.  No one around to help me except cat who wanted to be fed (what about the human?). I managed to fall out of bed, onto the floor, and crawl to phone to call 911.  By then hubby had come into house, but he was pretty freaked out by what had happened.  Now have learned to keep juice box beside bed.

My worst lows as an adult were right after my son was born -- my insulin needs had to be drastically cut after the pregnancy hormones left, and nursing a baby can make you run very low. Both times, I got very angry with my poor husband, screaming at him, cussing, hitting him. In my wisdom at those moments, I insisted on holding the baby too! Luckily, I never passed out, but hubby was PISSED. (baby in danger added to fun of wife hitting and screaming at you...)

In hindsight, I should have tried to run much higher, but it's hard to be thoughtful about insulin doses (or even test regularly!) after a tough labor, with a newborn,  and working on no sleep!

My 1 1/2 year old woke up screaming and shaking really bad.  I checked her blood and she was 47, she had only been diagnosed a month before this.  I have another daughter with diabetes but this has never happened with her.  I called 911 because I didn't know if she was having a seizure and she couldn't eat anything.  I gave her a glucagon shot and the paramedics showed up.  She was fine after that.  Then a few weeks later she woke up again screaming and shaking, she was 27.  It took two tubes of glucose gel to get her up to around 80 and then I gave her food.  This happened again a few weeks later.  We have since changed her insulin to carb ratio and haven't had an episode in a month.

I UNFORTUNATELY  have experienced very bad Highs as well as extremely low lows. The most recent was about a couple months ago when I was out with my friends and had taken too much insulin for the light beer I was drinking. Too much insulin mixed with alcohol is a definitely a " NO NO". I dont remeber anything really but apparantely I had hit my husband when I woke up the following morning, and even hit my daughter (who is 4) when she came down stairs to say good morning :( My husband had to call the ambulance and then had to sit on top of me along with 2 police officers holdind my legs and hold my hands down as I proceeded to kick, hit, bite and scream at the top of my lungs. I apparently kicked the EMT worker in the face also. i don't remeber any of this but it is a very horrible thing to wake up and see all these strangers in your bedroom and feel horrible, embarrassed and scared because you know it was your T1 acting up and that it defininetly was a bad low. My daughter was crying in my mothers arms because she was so worried about me and I felt so bad that I had to put my family through that. When I got to the hospital, the nurse said that my blood sugar was 25 at the time that the emt workers got to my house and in her words " wow, that is like almost dead". Amazing, that I am okay now but definitely not something that is easily forgotten.

Oooh boy, I've had a few scary experiences with low blood sugars.

One morning I had ignored my alarm and slept through it, waking up 4 hours later with a severe hypo to the point where I wasn't able to keep my balance. Stupidly enough I tried to walk down the stairs to get something to eat, but lost balance half way and fell down. I was lucky to have only received a black eye from that.

Another morning I had stayed at a mates place and didn't get to sleep till 6am, and I didn't have much of a breakfast. The signs of a hypo weren't enough to wake me, and I apparently began shaking hard enough to have woken my friend up. As he turned around, he saw me staring straight at him (can't say i remember that) and that was enough to call the paramedics. After my levels started to return to normal, one of the paramedics asked my friend if i had taken any drugs (the illegal kind) earlier :

Probably the worst reaction I've had was after finishing a night shift and driving a friend home. The signs of a hypo (irritability, this time) were there about half hour before my shift ended, but I made the mistake of not doing anything about it, thinking it was work/stress induced. Once I began driving, I was starting to talk about things that no made sense, and couldn't quite make out the road. My friend searched the car for some jellybabies, but could only find some sugar-free mints (go figure). He described it as me "being on drugs; a new party trick". I don't recall most of the drive home, and when I did get home my parents could already tell something wasn't right as I took a few moments trying different keys in the door, and it was soon confirmed when i said "oh s*@&, the room is upside down". I couldn't sleep that night, petrified thinking about what could have happened had there of been more cars on the road or if i had driven home moments later, as well as the fact I was endangering more than just my own life this time.

In hindsight, I made some pretty bad mistakes in preventing and reacting to my hypos. Once I get to those levels my thinking becomes irrational and my judgment is impaired to the point where I make stupid decisions I wouldn't normally make.