When do you talk with your child's teacher for the next school year?

My son was diagnosed last July; it wasn’t until about a week before school started that I was able to get hold of the school and let them know what was going on. He’s in preschool; he’s only there for 2 1/2 hours, they check his blood sugar once and give him a snack. He’ll be in preschool again next year; so not much is going to change except that he will have a different teacher. Should I talk with the new teacher before school gets out this year or should I wait until just before school starts?

Since he’s so little, I’d do both. Maybe you can use the meeting now to just introduce yourself, explain that he’s a T1 and what he/she will have to do (check sugars and give snacks), but then say that you’ll check in with him/her once again when it’s closer to the start of the school year. And, given that it seems like you couldn’t get ahold of the school right away last year, maybe you can ask for the teacher’s direct work email and phone so you will have that contact system already in place.

Wait until school starts. At back to school night you’ll want to talk with his teacher, give supplies for low blood sugar treatment (glucose tabs, juice boxes, etc.) and give your contact info so the teacher can reach out to you as questions come up. I was diagnosed at 4 an my mom did this every year. It worked well.

In the modern era many parents fill out 504b plans to outline care. Just know that you need to train your child to watch out for himself first, the teachers are there as emergency back up, but they can’t provide the same level of care that you do as a parent. http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

As a parent I would contact the nurse or CNA someone that is comfortable with a glucagon pen.You should talk with the new teacher before school gets out this year & should talk just before school starts? It won’t hurt anyone to just talk. The 504 plan is a good idea it will help the teacher care your child. The teacher should have some notes on his hyperglycemic & hypoglycemic signs as well. You should also get a copy of the protocol in place for emergency like if he passes out, who are the first responders in school. Just remember the teachers & the nurse have good intentions but YOU are the only one that will make sure he is safe or not at school. Here is a Resource guide for Wisconsin schools it may help you. copy past http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/P4/P43063.pdf

Thanks for the advice. It would make me feel a lot better to talk with next years teacher before school gets out this year. He will be going to a different preschool next year. I don’t even know if they have a nurse there full time. The nurse at his preschool now isn’t there all the time, but she trained all the teachers in his room how to do his blood sugar and what to do for lows. Preschool next year will be a lot closer to home; this year it’s all the way across town and takes about 15 minutes to get there, next year it’ll be less than 5 minutes from home. I can get there really easily and quickly if I need to.