Who is The Rock to be our Ambassador?

So I came across an article this morning stating that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is the new Ambassador for Diabetes Awareness and that he encourages families to get out and be active and teach your kids how to live healthy.

I can't pinpoint why this irritated me. It usually doesnt bother me when there's so much ignorance between T1 and T2. Maybe its because it's The Rock that's actually stepping out and the media doesn't list the difference.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.  Who knows!?!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20297323,00.html

Can you smelllllllll what the Rock is cookin?

I can't...if he's out for Diabetes awareness, living healthy isn't going to prevent it. Let's face it, the majority of us are pretty healthy and were living as such when we were Dx'd.

Should be something more like "The Rock vs. Childhood Obesity" and have no correlation with Diabetes at all. I personally don't want someone who doesn't have Diabetes representing diabetics or diabetic awareness. Then again maybe he has been hit in the head by too many chairs?

/he's a terrible actor too (citations: Doom, Walking Tall)

Yeah!  Why can't Halle Barry Represent us?????

How disturbing. No mentioning of the difference between  Type 1 and Type 2 yet again. Would it cost so much ink to add two words in front of Diabetes "Type 2". The thing that bothers me is when the media says 24 million people have Diabetes. What they should have wrote "24 million people have Type 2 Diabetes".

PEOPLE magazine at editor@people.com
Or 1-212-522-6699

[quote user="Kate"]

[/quote]

Hi Kate,

She is not the best role model either. During an interview with James Lipton she said that she used to have Type 1, but was able to wean herself off insulin shots so she now considers herself a type 2. I feel bad for the lady, she doesn't even know what disease she has.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

[quote user="Kate"]

[/quote]

Hi Kate,

She is not the best role model either. During an interview with James Lipton she said that she used to have Type 1, but was able to wean herself off insulin shots so she now considers herself a type 2. I feel bad for the lady, she doesn't even know what disease she has.

[/quote]

Let's email her and call her out on her dumbass-ery

Yes!  This is all so ridiculous!  I can't believe this!  Good Morning, I am incensed!  I read the Rock B.S.  and it made me rage!  GEEZE, I guess being a tournament water skier growing up just wasn't active enough... If only I had gotten my lazy ass off the water and joined a weight lifting competition, maybe then I would be FREE from diabetes!  %@#$@#%&*%$^@#^$!

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Kate"]

[/quote]

Hi Kate,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Been there done that, she still stands by her statement. Some people just don't want to believe the sky is blue.

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Kate"]

[/quote]

Hi Kate,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Been there done that, she still stands by her statement. Some people just don't want to believe the sky is blue.

[/quote]

Perhaps show her fact that her pancreas can't magically start working again and therefore cannot be "cured" of Type 1...unless she's using Tom Cruise's witch craft?

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Pat"]

[quote user="Kate"]

[/quote]

Hi Kate,

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps show her fact that her pancreas can't magically start working again and therefore cannot be "cured" of Type 1...unless she's using Tom Cruise's witch craft?

[/quote]

Oh wow Pat! I think you are on to something...maybe we should all convert then :)

I don't know if I'd want to be associated with that clown either...he has no street cred...hasn't made a good movie since Top Gun..

Agreed, about the clown part, never really been a fan myself :) Thanks for the laugh though, I needed it.

Happy to help :)

I heard that about Halle Berry awhile ago and I was disappointed when I heard she was a crackpot. There are a lot of people willing to get away from the disease, even if it means spreading un-truths.

It doesn't bother me to have The Rock as a DA spokesperson. It still creates diabetes awareness, even if it is T2 and not T1. Maybe when more people hear about diabetes, they'll be interested in learning more about the 2 types.

[quote user="Kate"]

GEEZE, I guess being a tournament water skier growing up just wasn't active enough... If only I had gotten my lazy ass off the water and joined a weight lifting competition, maybe then I would be FREE from diabetes!  %@#$@#%&*%$^@#^$!

[/quote]

Yeah me too.  If I hadn't wasted my youth with such sedentary activities as high school cross country and being a Marine, perhaps I'd not be a T1 diabetic today.  Rats.

I prefer Mary Tyler Moore as a spokesperson.  Ever watch those old Dick Van Dyke re runs?   Who can argue with anything she does? My favorite TV show of all times.

EDIT: Oh no, a double profanity filter hit.  The above should have read: "Ever watch those old DIK Van DIKE re runs?

[quote user="C"]

It doesn't bother me to have The Rock as a DA spokesperson. It still creates diabetes awareness, even if it is T2 and not T1. Maybe when more people hear about diabetes, they'll be interested in learning more about the 2 types.

[/quote]

Hi C,
I don't have a problem with "The Rock" being a spokesman for Diabetes awareness be it Type 1 or Type 2, or  any other celebrity Novo Nordisk wants to parade around with that title. What I do have a problem with is misinformation about Diabetes. The article never even mentions that there are different forms of diabetes, the article makes it sound as long a you are active and eat right you will not be affected. We are adults and can choose to correct people who make false statements, or we can ignore them. Children however may not know how to react or what to say to a bully on a playground who corners them and teases them.

What pains me even more is that Novo Nordisk is the one behind this. Do they not read these PSA before releasing them? They know the differnec and still choose to spread misinformation.

I'm totally confused here ... is the Rock supposed to be working to fight Type 2 or both types? He probably doesn't even know, but maybe he's not as clueless as his onscreen image.

As for Halle Berry, what made me soooo mad is that she was pregnant and said healthy eating made her not have T1 diabetes anymore. She claimed she stopped taking insulin while pregnant. Pictures of her daughter look okay. Was she lying? 

[quote user="Sarah"]

I'm totally confused here ... is the Rock supposed to be working to fight Type 2 or both types? He probably doesn't even know, but maybe he's not as clueless as his onscreen image.

[/quote]

He just wants to make sure that we can smell what he's cooking...

it always bothers me when people dont bother to write t1 or t2 when writing or talking about diabetes.....it reaslly makes it harder for me when i talk to people about diaabetes too. they tell me "well you should have been healthy and avoided junk food so its your own fault" that always leaves me furious..yes maybe i should have taken a break from my soccer practice ballet and healthy eating and done something good for me lol.....i definately think that mary tyler moore should be our ambassador

Is the Rock even diabetic?