Who was the first Type 1?

I know that Diabetes is an ancient illness, with the first known reference to it dating from the Egyptians around 1500 BC. 

But I still wonder, who might have been the first Type 1 diabetic?

It's interesting that diet restrictions, especially for foods containing a high amount of sugar, date back considerably further than the Egyptians and appear in much more significant publications than the ancient papyrus.

In particular...it's this well-known reference to abstaining from sweets that has me wondering....

3But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. -- Genesis 3:3

Is it possible that Adam was the first Type 1?  Oh my... LOL

Paul

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]Is it possible that Adam was the first Type 1?[/quote]

Hahaha if this was true, I'd have a whole new respect for the Bible!

Paul - you never cease to get me thinking! lol  Then of course the first thing that came to mind was a T1 move called the Last Temptation of Adam!

Doug,

I'd go see it if the proceeds go to finding a cure.

Who should we cast as Adam and Eve?
(I have plenty of acquaintances we could cast as the snake.)

But now I'm thinking....

If Adam was the first T1
Then wouldn't that make us T1's the "normal" people?
And, all the people without T1 would have the
"I'm not a T1 disease?"

WE would be the true descendants of Adam, right?

I would hope not...it would cause a lot of problems.  I'm assuming that the fruit isn't the cause of the diabetes...otherwise it would be type 2.  I also assume that a pre-stone age diabetic would need a good amount of fruit to survive, having to walk everywhere and do everything by hand, making Gen 3:3 part of that ever present diabetes police we complain about so much.  Looking back as far as possible, the first type 1 was most likely a member of a species that existed before modern humans.

Hi Eric,

I believe Gina recently took a photo of some very primative Type 1 diabetics.

I hope she doesn't mind my reprinting it here, since it's for scholarly purposes.

Well that's not exactly the kind of thing to brighten my Wed. morning... haha

Thx guys!  Needed that laugh this morning. (now I had been up for a few hours before I saw it Matt so wasn't first thing for me)