Why is Finding a Cure for Diabetes so Difficult?

Obviously, science plays the biggest role, but what do you see as the biggest roadblock in finding a cure for diabetes. Check out the article today on Diabetes News Hound below -- I'm interestd to hear your thoughts.

Why is Finding a Cure for Diabetes so Difficult?

A former endo once told me he thought a cure was scientifically possible, but that he felt money was the big obstacle. Just one dr's opinion, but it sounds in line with the sources you quoted.

government.

This is my opinion and I have had alot of people tell me I'm crazy.  I think there is already a cure out there but the goverment has put a gag order on whom ever discovered it.  Reason being is because if there were a cure the doctors, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, medical equipment companies, etc. would loose ALOT of money.  As well as the government loosing a ton of money as well.

I don't think there's a cure already, but I agree with Sarah's endo that it's probably possible already but that money is the issue. Diabetics spend so much on supplies that any company funding a cure, would end up losing money if we suddenly were able to cure it. If we can prevent it, it might not make such an impact on their profit, but still.

everything comes down to money in the end.

i can't imagine there already being a cure, but there being a gag on it. the gov't would save a lot more money than it would lose. look at healthcare bills related to diabetes! curing it would benefit everyone, not just the diabetic. there are also plenty of other illnesses and chronic diseases out there that would "bring in money" for all the companies. however, i just don't see anyone being that sadistic to want to keep people sick.

i think the biggest obstacle would be finding a way to turn off the immune system without using immunosuppressants. how do you change the triggers so they realize beta cells are good and not bad? there's an answer out there somewhere... i can also see how money would be a big issue as well. research isn't cheap. keep donating everyone! :op

I think C has the right answer. They've got to find a way to make the immune system behave properly. The Joslin 50-Year Medalist Study has shown that MANY, not just a few, of the medalists are still producing a little bit of insulin, after more than 50 years of T1. The body keeps trying to replace the beta cells, and the immune system continues to destroy them, but not before they have produced a detectible (by c-peptide test) amount of insulin. Any cure for T1 will have to deal with this, and it seems to me that the whole cure probably lies in solving this problem.

For those who haven't heard about the Joslin 50-Year Medal, back in 1970, 50 years after the discovery of insulin, the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston started awarding a 50-Year Medal to anyone who could show that they had survived T1 for 50 years. Since then, more than 3,000 medals have been awarded. Joslin kept track of the contact info for most of these people, and about 7 years ago, George L. King, MD, Director of Research, and Hilary Keenan, PhD began studies to try and figure out why some of us have been able to survive for so long with T1. Several reports have been written. For more info, go to http://www.joslin.org/50_year_medalist_study.html .

Tom Beatson

[quote user="Karen"]

This is my opinion and I have had alot of people tell me I'm crazy.  I think there is already a cure out there but the goverment has put a gag order on whom ever discovered it.  Reason being is because if there were a cure the doctors, pharmacies, pharmaceutical companies, medical equipment companies, etc. would loose ALOT of money.  As well as the government loosing a ton of money as well.

[/quote]

i thought this too but then I thought about how big a company medtronic is and those other companies and if there was a cure then they would most likely still be in buisness just not in the diabetes field. Also, almost all th eppl working at JDRF and ADA have diabetes or have been effected by it in some way and I think they are all woking their hardest to find a cure. I think money is probuably the reaseon there is no cure YET

I can't believe some of you believe there's some secret cure out there that the gov't is hiding. I'm laughing out loud here -- thanks for that! Ive had a bad day and needed that!!

My next movie script: The DaVinci Code 2: The Hidden Cure (T1 cure hidden in the walls of the Louvre, evil US gov't operatives trying to kill anyone who finds it, secrets to it's location hidden in codes found within Picasso and Degas' artwork... I'll play the star of course, along with Tom my costar!)