Will somebody answer a personal question?

My little boy wakes me up a lot during the night to go potty. Most of the time only a couple drops come out. He might very well be doing this as an excuse to get out of bed, but before I put my foot down and make him stay in bed I have to know; Does high blood sugar cause the sensation to urinate even when your bladder is empty? Any advice?

have you checked for a urinary tract infection? that's one main symptom.

I agree with Batts that a UTI could be the cause. Are his BGs high? You could try checking every time he gets you up to see if he is high or not.

Is he just getting up when he is first put to bed or all thru the night? If just a first, I'd tend to think it is an excuse to get out of bed. If all thru the night, then I think something is waking him up in the first place.

High blood sugar will usually make you have to pee, but i dunno about just having the sensation. I agree that you might want to have him looked at for a UTI cause that is a very common symptom.

Are UTI  more common if you have d ?

Well, he usually gets up between about 12:30 to 3:30am saying he has to potty. Sometimes twice. He just saw his endo a week ago and everything including the urine test was fine. During the day he holds it as long as he can before going to the potty. I doubt he has a UTI, but what other symptoms should I look for?

[quote user="Trish"]

Well, he usually gets up between about 12:30 to 3:30am saying he has to potty. Sometimes twice. He just saw his endo a week ago and everything including the urine test was fine. During the day he holds it as long as he can before going to the potty. I doubt he has a UTI, but what other symptoms should I look for?

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinary_tract_infection

i get them quite often, and got them a LOT as a kid..the only symptom i ever really had was the need to urinate, without actually and on occasion or if i left it too long before going to the doc, i'd get some pain associated with it.

When I have high bg I have to urinate, I have never had a "false alarm".  It is uncommon for me to sleep through the night without having to urinate at least once.  Why is he holding it as long as he can during the day? If there is any pain associated with using the bathroom (which might prompt him to hold it) that could indicate UTI. 

Maybe when he went to the doctor he didn't have a UTI and now he does. Sounds to me like that is what it is as well. Just bring him to the doctor that is your best way to find out what is going on. We can give you all kinds of assumptions but it is easier to take him to the doctor to determine what is going on.

There are other possible reasons for this happening. The UTI is one. I think T1 people do have a higher rate of UTI. Another possibility is an autoimmune disorder called interstitial cystitis. There is usually a lining of the bladder that protects against harsh chemicals, etc. When this lining is not there, things like tomatoes, for instance, can cause great pain and discomfort and the symptoms you described. In either case, and just offering my two cents, let the little guy go if he feels like he has to.Eh. I say that, but I'm not a parent. I'm thinking like a person who dislikes getting up and down out of bed unless I really, really have to...so what do I know...

High blood sugar, for me anyway, also creates the circumstances you described above. It is not fun. Running high while also being dehydrated will cause the low water output combined with urgency. If so, then hydration, while it may seem counter intuitive, might at least make him feel better. If any insulin has been done to cover a high, hydration is necessary but poses a "take care" situation. It's better to be hydrated, but when the fluids hit, sometimes the insulin that was not absorbed will, too.

In either case, I wish you and your little one better fortune and an easy, simple solution.

[quote user="Eric_Carpenter"]

When I have high bg I have to urinate, I have never had a "false alarm".  It is uncommon for me to sleep through the night without having to urinate at least once.  Why is he holding it as long as he can during the day? If there is any pain associated with using the bathroom (which might prompt him to hold it) that could indicate UTI. 

[/quote]

I have been assuming that he holds it just because he doesn't want to take the time and stop what he's doing to go, but you all got me thinking now.....

Thanks everyone. I'll give closer attention to him when he goes.

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]In either case, and just offering my two cents, let the little guy go if he feels like he has to.Eh. I say that, but I'm not a parent. I'm thinking like a person who dislikes getting up and down out of bed unless I really, really have to...so what do I know...[/quote]

A little off topic here: I very much dislike getting up during the night, but I haven't had one night of uninterrupted (is that a word?) sleep in almost 4 years. (yawn)

I don't really know why he calls me up to go potty at night. He goes by himself during the day. I guess he thinks he'll get in trouble for getting out of bed. At least I can aide him to be quiet with the doors, etc so he doesn't wake his brother up. And if there is a problem, I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't go with him at night, so can't complain....

[quote user="Trish"]

A little off topic here: I very much dislike getting up during the night, but I haven't had one night of uninterrupted (is that a word?) sleep in almost 4 years. (yawn)

[/quote]

I hear you on that one! I believe small children develop a grand conspiracy to keep their mothers from sleeping thru the night! As soon as your youngest learns to sleep thru the night, your oldest (who will have been sleeping just fine) will know this and start waking up from bad dreams, wet bed, etc. in the middle of the night. This will go on for a while and then your youngest will get a cold and start waking up again, then when he gets better, your oldest will get the cold.... and you can see where I'm going with this.  Your husband will sleep thru all of these night time goings on quite happily, of course. ;-)

Yes, yes, yes, and yes! And if the childern happen to cooperate then their dad or the dog will find a way to disturb my peace! :)